Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Hughes Nightmare Here Too - VA MT

Posted: Feb 11th, 2019 - 9:46 am In Reply to: Anybody else having the HughesNet speed nightmare? - sm

I feel your pain. I have had to leave/turn down positions with companies who require VDI use. Even before we got Hughes (about three months ago), we had a one-off type of internet that wasn't ideal and I couldn't work VDI with them either. At this point (30+ years into my full time MT career) I am findings MT work that is received via FTP, encrypted MEO voices files sent to me, as well with a not so heavy platform called WebChartMD.

We live in a mountainous area that doesn't have good internet coverage at all. When we moved here in 2006 I had dialup (of course another nightmare). The broadband (a receiver 100 feet up in a tree) we had for years no longer could provide to us, and all we had left was to try Hughes Satellite which I had been avoiding all these years.

The company with the WebChart MD platform told me that satellite might not work for me... so far, I can still work but the lag (latency) is so high that the platform reads me as not even signed in and will sometimes re-route jobs that I'm typing!

If you have another type of internet available, it seems anything could be better than Hughes, but I don't know your situation. I spent hours on the phone with Hughes support, they "escalated" my issue, then that person passed me off to someone in the field who as going to replace brand new equipment - he called and we started talking about the problem (he was an installer, not tech!), and I asked him how he is able to use Hughes - he actually said out loud, Oh, I don't use Hughes - if I had to, I would MOVE. (moving is not an option).

Sorry so long... rambling. I have no solutions for you, only that I feel your Hughes Nightmare Pain. I hope something improves for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)