Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

No response - moi

Posted: Nov 8th, 2018 - 6:29 am In Reply to: No Response - Maryhaw

Been there done that multiple times. After quitting MT last summer, I rewrote my resume, which I thought turned out excellent. I applied to multiple places, mostly unskilled types of work which I was willing to do. Anything. I thought I could do a housekeeping job at the local hospital, scrubbing toilets, mopping floors. Anything. I asked the personnel people to notify me either way, and they assured me they would. They did not. I applied at the local UPS store for work of assisting customers copying, printing, using the machines. Asked them to notify me either way and was assured they would. They did not. This was so discouraging. Finally, I answered an ad in the local paper for playing the piano on Sunday services at a Lutheran church. Got an interview! When I told the interviewer,a man with no musical skills whatsoever, that I had started piano lessons at 5 years old and have been playing ever since and have been playing for my own church for decades, he hired me on the spot. With no audition and without asking for a resume! This part time gig has been working out very well. Later on, there was an ad on Indeed for a piano teacher in a local studio. The owner of the studio conducted a brief interview and asked me to play something. I had not brought any music with me, so she hunted around and found an adult beginner book, turned to a random page, and had me play the piece on that page, which was Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. She said, "Well, you are certainly qualified" and hired me on the spot. No resume, no references, no nothing. This too is part-time, but along with my social security, my husband's social security, and his part-time job, we are paying the bills quite nicely. What to take away from all this IDK, but maybe one should think outside the box and analyze one's skills a little more. I was a music major in college, but got cold feet and dropped out. I thought without a degree I could not do anything with my music. The owner of the studio told me that all of her teachers/contractors were like me, with no degree, and that they had become excellent teachers and that she had high hopes for me, too. I am a believer and think that God was involved in all this. But, I empathize with you and wish you the best. I too have BTDT and we have even applied for commodities our budget was so restricted. It's a tough situation, for sure. Sorry for such a long post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)