Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Coding / Medical Billing

MT does not translate to coding - in general

Posted: Oct 25th, 2018 - 10:17 pm In Reply to: Question for coders with MT experience - Anon

As someone else said, the only real area where transcription helps in coding is your knowledge of anatomy. Otherwise, they are two very different worlds. Maybe learning to read charts fast as an editor is helpful, too, now that I think of it. Anyway, if you're working for a facility, you have a possible "in" with the coding department. You have to be certified or working on getting certified. If you go to a place cold where you don't know anyone, they're going to tell you that you need 2 years of experience and you can't have the A for apprentice on your credential...which takes 2 years to get off.

Coding jobs were crazy easy to get a couple of years ago when the official transfer to ICD 10 took place because there was such a huge backlog of stuff still in ICD 9 which was causing the new stuff to get backed up. That's all been worked out now, so employers can afford to be a little more picky.

Coding is not for everyone. I know several transcriptionists who have attempted the CPC exam several times and can't pass. It's a hard test to pass but it can be done on the first try if you apply yourself and do lots of practice tests.

Do a lot of research, look at the youtube videos, etc. Understand that there is A LOT of work and education that goes into this and there is continuing education every year that must be done to maintain the certification. It's hard but it's worth it. It can be monotonous because you're sitting reading reports all day but I don't find it any more monotonous than I did being an MT near the end of my time in that department with a small pool of dictators.

For me, it was worth the transition but I had an "in" with my employer, so I got lucky. If you're not working for a facility already, start applying for any job they have available that you qualify for - unit clerk, medical records, etc. Get a foot in the door while you work on coding education and introduce yourself to the HIM people and let them know what you're working towards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)