Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Coding / Medical Billing

Coders with MT experience - Be sure this is what you want to do

Posted: Oct 21st, 2018 - 7:03 pm In Reply to: When I started in MT over 10 years ago, - sm

The first thing I want to say is that having been an MT doesn't mean much in the coding realm except for your intelligence and that you know medical terms. There are coders who can't transcribe and MTs who can't code. I was laid off from my MT job rather late in life and thought coding was the career path I would take next. I completed a course but it was never a good fit for me; of course it depends on the person. Yes, it is very difficult to get one's foot in the door, everyone wants work experience and some kind of certification is required. I would imagine that, just as it is with MT, it would take a while to become proficient. If you work at a facility with a large medical record department, you might be able to train while you are employed in a different job or enrolled in a course. If you get hired, you will probably just code ER or maybe rad to begin with and then move into other areas. Record deficiencies and analysis or abstracting are good ways to gain exposure to coding basics. I think the jobs are there but it's really hard to break into as a newbie. Depending on how many years you plan to work, I don't know that I would count on coding being around 5 or 10 years from now, there is already a lot of outsourcing and automation taking place, not as much as MT but it seems to be heading in that direction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)