Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Soft Script.. (Views: 48)

EPIC is an EMR and providers are encouraged - to enter their own notes

Posted: Sep 11th, 2018 - 2:59 pm In Reply to: Mayo Clinic-400 plus MTs gone - redmaj

EPIC is the 500 pound gorilla in the market place in terms of EMRs. It does pretty much everything in terms of patient tracking. The emphasis is on drop down menus and templates that are tailored to each individual clinician so they are encouraged to point and click and put in their own information right at the point of care with the patient in the room.

The EPIC trainers come in and say "see, we're so good, you don't need to dictate anymore" and they don't really encourage dictation at all. When my organization started transferring to Epic about 7 years ago, we started with the clinics. That production dropped by 70%. We had about 40 MT's at the time and outsourced probably 80% of our work to Nuance. We had great bosses who went to all the training and when they said "you don't need to dictate," my bosses said "but if you still want to, here's how." Not every facility is going to have someone that proactive. Through the transition to Epic, which took 2 years between the clinics and 7 hospitals, we managed to keep all of the MT's and stopped outsourcing to Nuance completely. That was an 80% drop in production. Now they've implemented Dragon Medical and that's the end of that. I've moved on to coding so I don't know what the situation is day to day, lots of people retired/quit, so I think there might be 10 or 12 MT's left with a very, very small pool of die hard dictators.

What MT's have to remember is no one outside of us gives a flying rat's behind about errors in the medical record. NO. ONE. I do coding now on ER charts and the errors I see are appalling and I just shake my head at the time I spent in the past deciding where a comma should go or whether something should be capitalized or not.

No one cares about the errors in the records. This is the reality of life now. Get a plan B or a plan C going. You might be able to hang on for another year or so as an MT but in 5 years, you're going to need to know how to do something else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)