Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Here's what I don't understand about IC status: - Mary Roach of Summerfield, North Carolina

Posted: May 18th, 2018 - 3:44 pm In Reply to: A Lot - Of

My husband has owned his own business (nothing to do with medical transcription) for about 30 years now. He hires ICs and subs jobs out to them. Hubby and subs agree when the job will be performed. No agreement, and ICs might just show up and do the job whenever they felt like it, but then again, I don't think my husband would contract with them to do said job. "Hey, would you mind taking care of that job for me next week, and when do you think you could do that?" "We'll be over Tuesday and probably finish up by the end of the day Friday." Now, let's say other people's lives (in this case homeowners who have to vacate their homes during while the work is being done) revolve around when that sub job is going to be performed, but the subs don't show up for whatever reason. Who do you think is going to suffer the consequences? The subs? Nope. My husband? Yep. His word and his reputation is ruined. Not the sub's. Does hubby tell the subs, you gotta show up and punch a clock in at 8:30 and out at 5:00, two 15-minute breaks, etc. Nope. Make an agreement, follow-through with the agreement, everybody and his or her brother/sister learns that the IC keeps (or doesn't keep) his/her word? That's business. That's life. I've been in MT my whole working life (and I'm old as hell now). I've worked with MTs who showed up right on time, and some who just decided they weren't going to show up at all (even after getting free computers dropped off at their houses). Which MTs were part of a symbiotic relationship? Not too hard to guess. Now, before anyone accuses me of being an MTSO or supervisor or QA or whatever, let me tell you a little story: I worked for Opti-Script for many years way back when. Damn good company. Best ever, and I swear that on my life. I worked for six weeks for them one late winter virtually chained to my desk 14-16 hours a day, 7 days a week to help get a Sutter account caught up from months behind to 24-hour THAT, from approximately 65% accuracy (vomit) to 98.5+. And we did it. Forty-five of us working together. We did it. Yep. And, I went from absolutely perfect health, age 47, to developing lupus near the end of those 6 weeks. Got sick as a dog. Still sick now. Something about the stress, illness, exhaustion, etc., triggered that little lupus inflammatory whatever cell lying dormant in my body. And, I paid dearly. But you know what? The MTSO owners, supervisors, etc., could not have treated me better. I mean, they could not have treated me better if I had been the Queen of England. They were part of a team of people who kept me alive those first few months. Kept me on the payroll. Kept me on health insurance. Helped me way beyond expectations or hopes. So, no, not all MTSO are heartless, cold bitches. Some of them would lay down their lives for you and me. Honestly. The MTSOs and their owners, etc., are human beings just like you and me. We all deserve respect, care, empathy, and love. Karma. BTW: If anyone ever gets a chance to work for Opti-Script, I have heard that they are still wonderful, at least I hope that is correct. They are gold in my heart and mind. (Please excuse punctuation, grammar, spelling, and cursing; I'm trying to get outta here before 5:00 pm.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)