Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Who has Canadian accounts now?.. (Views: 53)

The choice is made for me every time - MT

Posted: Feb 11th, 2018 - 8:58 am In Reply to: Nuance farming out work - That is how it is now

I am self-supporting. I can indeed do a lot of lines editing just because I read fast. But that does not mean I make more money. It means I get tired sooner and can only put in so many hours of intensive speed reading at great quality. So, because of the way my brain is wired as a human being, not designed to be under sweatshop conditions as are set up, no matter what happens I cannot do more than 250.00 a week. Sure it may be 20 hours a week but then I am useless. I tried it. Then I add a second IC 4 cpl or 3 cpl job alongside my employee job, same thing. I jump on, do 2 hours in the day and I refuse to do more b/c my brain is fried. Well that adds up to about 40.00 or 80.00 a week depending on how much I want to put up with (the nitpicking over COMMAS and their QA inconsistencies, do this-- no don't do this, do that). Try as I might these 3 and 4 cpl editing jobs cannot ever ever cut it for me. I have tried. I have tried, tried, tried tried til there ain't no trying no more. And I have still tried. Finally I gave up. I buckle down at my employee job and though can't make bills very well or even eat it is more than the 3 or 4 cpl IC. Yes, my insurance has too high a deductible for me to be able to see a doctor and I go without (that isn't right either). But I have coverage. Yes, it costs too much but I don't qualify for marketplace. All said and done I still have a roof over my head. And before yall go ahead and say get out, try Walmart, try retail, try doctors offices! Tried, Tried, Tried Tried and TRIED. I have too many years in this business to be considered useful to ANYONE outside of it. Yes, I am worthy of a job in this industry. But, outside of that forget it. I even got ONE interview for a doctor's office and within 2 minutes of my saying I'd be willing to learn how to call insurance companies to validate insurance their eyes glazed over (probably at the fact I am middle aged and not 21), and said they'd be in touch when they needed transcription after getting rid of M Modal (not gonna happen). AND before you say go back to school! Learn a new career! DID THAT, DID THAT. And yes, I have advanced degrees. Now I have student loans. Yada, yada, yada. End of story. Thank you for reading. My advice is if you are in my position work as an EMPLOYEE, that has straight typing or a mix (yes they exist and it is not Nuance), work hard at the job and I mean hard every hour you are on and then be glad that you are alive. Get a life and sit by a lake and count blessings that you aren't trying again to make it work at 3 cpl IC. Thanks again for reading this life story. Maybe some of you can learn, or others can identify.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)