Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Who has Canadian accounts now?.. (Views: 40)

My observation on the at-home Cancer - Registrar positions

Posted: Dec 5th, 2017 - 7:18 pm In Reply to: Can it be done at home? I have done my time in house and - do not want to go back into SM

Having worked at home in MT for 25 years, 10 years or so for MTSOs of a variety, I have a fair comparison of situations.

What scares me about the at-home Cancer Registry business is that the out-source companies seem to have "assignments" at certain hospitals. When these assignments are over, they seem to be somewhat willing to leave the REgistrar sitting and waiting for the next assignment. The work flow is not near as easily developed as with transcription. (Warning bells going off big here). Now, if you can get an at-home position with an actual hospital with benefits and such, good deal. I know a few people who do this. But, I would definitely be hesitant to work for any of the outsource companies...unless it is part-time supplemental income.

The outsource companies I have seen have production requirements, abstracts per hour, QA percent rates, sound familiar? And, BTW, the companies I have seen doing outsource cancer registry----also do transcription...and coding. They are well familiar with taking advantage of its workforce.

So, question is, how long does cancer registry have? In many ways, the registries are very scattered in approach. They have a part in accreditation that transcription did not have, such as cancer conferences, CAP protocol (pathology adherence to standards), all sorts of things. I find the outsource companies trying to minimize the registry's part in accreditation .... (I've got PTSD from outsource MT) so that they can offer full service Cancer Registry and get rid of the need for inhouse people.

My goal is to be as useful to our physicians and research people as possible, to be as knowledgeable about accreditation processes, to help the facility become reliable and accurate in data collection for cancer statistics, in a word, indispensable. At current I am participating in both COC and NAPBC accreditation from Cancer Registry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)