Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

I am not the OP. - MT

Posted: Feb 11th, 2017 - 12:37 pm In Reply to: I am obviously missing something - Not true for me

I never said MT is my only job. I became a journalist and I work as an IC in QA now to supplement my writing career when assignments slow down.

It's easy to judge, but the OP did not post to get a lecture. I never understand why people respond so unkindly. You don't know their situation. They were venting. Your response does not help a bad situation. If it was so easy for someone to "just find another job," well, of course, they would do it.

We get it - you were luckier than most. I was stating facts but that doesn't mean I need a lecture.

I went to college and my first career (10 years) was as a medical assistant. I started working extra hours as an MT in the same hospital when I was recruited, and then went to full-time because the pay was better. My first MT job paid on production on-site at a major teaching hospital and I averaged $35 an hour as one of the highest producers, and was the only MT who was allowed to have doctors special request me. When that company went under after 30 years due to competing with offshore low bids, I sent my resume out, had six job offers and found another great company. Pay was not as good, but I had paid holidays off, production bonuses, and a M-F day shift. Unfortunately, M*Modal bought them out. I lasted 2 years there before quitting because it was miserable. I now work for a family-owned company. Pay is half of what I made up to 2011, but it's a great company, a great working environment and I have flexibility as a true IC. My writing gigs average $1 a word, but I stay in MT/QA because I enjoy it.

I certainly don't use my experience to lecture others on what they should be doing. Everything I said in the other post is true, and I know exactly how the OP and others who are just stating facts feel. It's called compassion and empathy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)