A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

seeded or seated? - EveningMT

Posted: Apr 19, 2011

"Given that she has completed her chemotherapy and she is unlikely to require a MediPort again, it can certainly be removed if it has been (seated or seeded) and is a site of her continued infection." Thanks.

I would say seeded...sm - mb

[ In Reply To ..]
Since dictator is saying it is a site of her infection it is probably seeded with the bacteria.

seated - ems

[ In Reply To ..]
x

seated... - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
The bottom port requires a hole in the table upon which the microscope is seated in order to accommodate the camera.

Used in sentence!

seeded ; based on information found - see message

[ In Reply To ..]

I would put seeded.  But if you decide to flag it, please let us know what QA or the dictator confirm it to be. 

I found several articles referencing this as a source of infection. 

One

A number of totally implanted venous access devices that contain their own ports attached to a centrally placed catheter have been developed.  These include the Mediport, Infuse-a-Port®, and Port-a-Cath®.  These devices are associated with a number of early and late complications. Of these, thrombosis occurs in 12%–74% of CVCs in cancer patients and is the subject of this review.

The odds ratio for infection related to thrombosis was 4.1 and prophylactic heparin/vancomycin/ciprofloxacin or heparin/vancomycin flushes resulted in a threefold lower incidence of blood infection compared with heparin alone.  This is not a surprising finding, since almost all cannulated blood vessels contain a fibrin sheath that is seeded with adherent cocci.

http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/cgi/content/full/9/2/207

Two

Infection is probably the most common complication of CVAD use in the outpatient setting. Catheter-related infections can occur at any time the device is in place. Pathogenic organisms can enter and infect intravascular devices by contamination of the infusate, contamination at junctions in IV tubing, contamination at the insertion site, and systemic seeding from a distant source.

http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite?page=kb-03-03-03

seated or seeded - EveningMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you. I will check on the report in a few days to see if the dictator changed it. I used "seeded." Thanks, everyone, for your help.

I think seeded is right - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

FYI--Don't rely on checking to see if the - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
dictator changed it. Only a handful actually read their reports before signing, and a lot are electronically signed without even looking for them. I do believe you were correct with using seeded in this instance.

. - .

[ In Reply To ..]

It is seeded in this case--seeded with infection. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

It's definitely "seeded" - - Quite Certain

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, it's most certainly "seeded." Infective organisms are said to "seed" a site. Organisms plop down out of the blood like seeds tossed into a garden.

Similar Messages:

Seated Vs Seeded?
Dec 29, 2009

Doing a hernia repair...  These are the sentences: "When placing a finger inside the abdominal cavity, one could still feel seating of the peritoneum which had been present previously." "It was elected, given the fact that the patient still had disease, not to place an inside or outside mesh at the current time as, if this became seeded with carcinoma, it would just be a different source of disease for her." Thanks much! :-) ...

Seated Versus Seeded
Nov 13, 2013

dictator is referring to candida albicans that was likely "seeded" during her procedure. Seated versus seeded, which is correct? ...

Seated/seaded/seeded???
Oct 09, 2014

Sorry, don't know why I am questioning this . . . Here is the sentence: Pacemaker placed afterwards because he developed high-grade lactobacillus bacteremia which ____________ his AICD wires. Thanks for your help ...

X-rays Of Hip - All Components Are Well Seeded (or Seated)?
Aug 16, 2011

x ...

X-rays Show The Right Knee Prosthesis To Be Well Seeded? Or Well Seated?
Aug 21, 2011

I know I've asked this before on here and I forget now what it is - seated or seeded.  It makes sense to me either way.   ...

Pt Had A Bicuspid Aortic Valve That Got Infected And S/l Seeded The Tricupsid Valve.
Nov 02, 2010

xx ...