A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

apostrophes - Rach

Posted: May 13, 2011

Which is correct...Louis' father or Louis's father

Louis' father - cpat

[ In Reply To ..]
If I remember right, if there is already an s add an apostrophe to the end.

apostrophes - Perl

[ In Reply To ..]
We use BOS second edition. Pg. 28 shows Dr. Harris's patient but it says to let pronounciation be your guide, ex
Moses' tablets.

s's is never correct - BOS BS

[ In Reply To ..]
This is a basic grammar rule.

It does not change based on how a word is pronounced or the sentence sounds.

Never say never - Elderberry

[ In Reply To ..]
Recall that sometimes s's is OK. Per BOS it's used when only the last syllable of a noun ends in a sibilant letter s, x, z, "the fungus's origin."

Gregg Reference Manual also okays St. Louis's climate or Phoenix's suburbs, or if the final s is silent like Arkansas's rivers, and if a new syllable is formed by adding 's as in Mr. Morris's umbrella UNLESS it makes the word difficult to pronounce, e.g., Ms. Hastings' coat. Exceptions to exceptions!

Similar Messages:

Possessive Apostrophes
May 19, 2010

I have a practicum student who is fighting me on this ->"diabetes management"...she is sure that you put an apostrophe on diabetes' (<-like this)...what is your opinion ...

Whats The Scoop, Are We Back To Apostrophes?
Mar 16, 2011

I always think the docs must go nuts when they dictate Alzheimer's or Crohn's or Behcet's and see Alzheimer or Crohn or Behcet.  Sometimes I think all of ADHI's rules and regs are just arbitrary.... Are we back to apostrophes now, according to those powers that be?  And who, by the way, ever gave them those powers, anyway?? ...

MONITORS: Using Apostrophes In The Nickname Line Blocks My Posts With
Jan 02, 2010

Also, how can I tell when I've run out of space to post in the subject or nickname fields? My posts get cut off a lot.   Just FYI, your message above is misspelled as "Swith" to Plain Text instead of "switch." :) ...