A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Singular/Plurals - confused

Posted: Nov 23, 2009

Is calculus singular or plural? There are a few others and my book said one thing and the net, and other people said something different. Are there some general rules to follow?

For instance: 

Vaginae?

Synechiae?

sing: calculus, plural: calculi, regarding ...sm - vrvr

[ In Reply To ..]
vagina
the correct Latin plural for vagina is vaginae.
But people often form the plural by adding an s, so it becomes vaginas.

Same with synechia/ae.

Similar Messages:

Possessive Plurals
Dec 20, 2010

I've asked this question before so I do apologize the repeat, but how would you explain that you would NOT use an apostrophe for "diabetes management" to indicate possessive quality. I know why you would not, but how would you condense the explanation. TIA ...

Proper Use Of Plurals
Apr 02, 2013

Ok, is it proper to say "bottoms of both feet" or "bottom of both feet"?? My dictator and I have been going around and around on this...please help! ...

Quick Grammar Question - Two Plurals In A Row?
Dec 03, 2010

this doesn't sound right to me, but I can't think of the correct way to type this sentence: ....until diagnostic tests results are complete.... "tests results" doesn't look right. Dictator is referring to multiple tests, not "test's results". I am not sure... any help appreciated. ...

When To Use Singular/pleural Of Mg?
Apr 08, 2011

My account does not allow abbreviations in anything pertaining to medications.  Dictators will always state milligrams, plural, even if it is 0.5 mg.  When do I change it to singular, except obviously with 1 milligram?  E.g.: 0.5 mg, 1.5 mg?  Is anything over 1.0 pleural? ...

Plural Or Singular?
Jun 26, 2012

QA changed "bilateral upper extremities radiculopathy" to "bilateral upper extremity radiculopathy" Shouldn't it be "extremities" since bilateral is plural? I know it's easier to SAY "bilateral upper extremity radiculopathy" but isn't that grammatically incorrect?   ...

Nare Or Naris For Singular Form Of Nares
Mar 24, 2014

I have recently type several reports for a doctor who uses "nare" as the singular form of nares.   I only find "naris" in my research, no "nare".   What is the correct singular form?   Thanks, mscallan ...

Is "ossiculum" Plural, Singular, Or Both?
Feb 26, 2011

. ...