A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Parkinson - mt

Posted: Sep 25, 2010

How do you handle it when Parkinson's is dictated instead of Parkinson's disease?  We are not supposed to use the apostrophe;  however, it looks funny to say - The patient has a history of Parkinson. 

Would you add the word disease even though it wasn't actually dictated?

Parkinsonism ?? (nm) - XanaX

[ In Reply To ..]
maybe if you feel more comfortable with that. I'm with ya that it looks odd without "disease."

Parkinsonism - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I only use parkinsonism if dictated that way. Some meds cause Parkinson-like symptoms, but the patient doesn't actually have the disease and the symptoms go away when they stop taking whatever med was causing those symptoms.

Parkinson vs Parkinson's - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You are correct that they want the apostrophes dropped, but there is an exception. Per the BOS, if it stands alone, DO use the apostrophe.

So it is:

The patient has a history of Parkinson disease.

but...if it stands alone:

The patient has a history of Parkinson's.

thanks nm - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Do We Still Drop The Possessive Form, I.e Parkinson Disease, Not Parkinson's/nm
Nov 22, 2010

xx ...

Coria/Parkinson's?
Oct 19, 2011

The doctor mentions "coria" multiple times in the report in conjunction with Parkinson's.  He says "Significant coria"   I am unable to find coria/corea in a search.  Any ideas? ...

Implantation For Parkinson Disease
Mar 13, 2010

It sounds like Pulse jenarear implantation for a patient with parkinson disease-any ideas?  ...

S/l Queiform Movements (Parkinson's Disease)
Oct 26, 2009

Parkinson's with queiform  movement ...

Patient With Recent Stroke And Has Parkinson With Tremor..psm
Jun 24, 2011

She is using a s/l tresk/trask walker but continues to have weakness with position changes.. I'm stumped.  Thanks! ...

History Of Parkinson Like Syndrome Secondary To S/l Thenozianines
Mar 19, 2013

Patient is in end stage renal disease, also with history of Parkinson like sydnrome secondary to s/l thenozianines, improved after dosage discontinued.  ...

Parkinson's Disease Aggravated By Excessive Haldol S/l Tobacco Haldol Discontinued??
Sep 11, 2010

Thanks...  ...

S/l Derry White Syndrome, And Not Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome
Jun 14, 2010

Can't find this, gets infections and cellulitis because of this syndrome, TIA ...