A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Hughes Net - kittykat

Posted: Oct 22, 2010

I live in TN.  Thinking about Hughes Net.  Any info will be helpful.  Now have ATT DSL. Thanks.

we have DirecTV and - cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
I have my Internet through Verizon. My husband has looked into Hughes Net and it is VERY expensive. Also, we have heard that it is not as reliable as a cable or fiberoptic provider. You need to have a clear view of the Southern skis and when you have bad storms, clouds and even the sun sometimes can cause outages of the dish, which will knock out your signal for Internet. I would really investigate this first because of the cost and the equipment you need to set it up and also be okay with being without Internet at times. I could not afford to have my Internet go down as much as the TV does. Good luck.

Had it, hated it. - Wisconsinite

[ In Reply To ..]
Satellite in general should be a last resort. Hughesnet was very expensive compared to what you get. Also, if you do get it, hope for clear skies when you work. At least when I had it 4 years ago, every time there was a storm or it would get fat clouds out or even really windy I would lose connection. Uploading jobs took forever as it was still via phoneline. They also won't let you touch the dish or you would void any warranty or signal adjustments (in which a service guy would have to come out, frequently). Their support is a joke also, unless you are very good with the Indian accent. Sorry, I could go on forever about Hughesnet.

HughesNet - Anne

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have cable, I would definitely keep that as it will probably get faster download/upload speeds than with HughesNet. I have had HughesNet for several years and have had very little problem with it (even weather), but you will suffer speed wise. It might be just at or a little higher speed than DSL.

Totally agree - HN user

[ In Reply To ..]
I have HN & it is rather expensive compared to my old dial-up, but I had no other option. I used my aunt's DSL for one of the upgrades & it was quite a bit faster than my HN is. That said, I've had no real issues w/ outages, and we even had the most snow last winter we've had in several. Hard rain has only been an issue for a minute or two. Good luck!

My $0.02 on HughesNet - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have had HughesNet for two years now. Would have preferred DSL, but none available in my rural location. Since subscribing, have needed two satellite modem replacements at about one-year intervals; fortunately both under warranty.

Tech support uneven: Last time one American tech said problem was in my computer's modem interface, but a second call answered by an Indian tech found the problem in the Hughes equipment and replacing that solved it.

Snow and wind, even heavy, have not been a problem, but rain and clouds in the southern sky can slow things down or take the thing offline. This is usually brief.

I opted for the more expensive plan wherein they continue to own the equipment. I did not want to end up owning something that would likely be obselete by the time it was paid for.

Speed is a big improvement over dialup. Also nice to have internet even when your phone line is down. However, if DSL ever becomes available here I will probably switch, since a phone line is not as sensitive to bad weather as this thing is. Also DSL would probably be much cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Similar Messages:

Hughes Net - Any Luck?
Jan 19, 2012

Hi, does anyone have a luck with Hughes Net?  Good or bad, let me know.  I am considering moving where it is my only option.  Thanks in advance. ...