A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Help!! in a hurry - DesperateMT

Posted: Apr 23, 2010

I was offered a job contingent upon if my computer met their specifications for their company software.  I was asked to perform a computer specification check on my computer and submit it to them for their review.  After their review, they informed me that my computer did meet their specifications, but I needed to have Microsoft word on my computer and if I installed that I met their standards.  I did exactly what they asked and bought the  software and they sent me an offer of employment.  I accepted their offer and resigned from my other job because my start date was upcoming.  Now, three weeks after accepting their offer, they installed their software onto my computer and tried for days and then told me my computer would not work with their software.  They called me on the phone and told me I had 2 options, one to buy another computer and second have my hard drive cleaned, but that may or may not solve the problem.  She want me to email her with my response in a day or two.  I have no job if I do not keep this one.  What can I do.

what type of software would you need a - new computer?

[ In Reply To ..]
That would be my question is can you buy a computer with the requirements they need? Does their platform work with Windows 7 (64-bit) and what kind of Word do you need.

New computer - DesperateMT

[ In Reply To ..]
The other option they gave was to buy another computer. They want me to call them and let them know what I can afford and decide.

Is it software they are installing or a VPN? - TNMT

[ In Reply To ..]
There doesn't seem like there should be a problem running the software if your computer meets their minimum requirements unless you're running XP 64-bit and their program requires 32-bit or vice versa and they failed to mention this to you. If that's the case, scrubbing your hard drive won't do antyhing, you would have to buy a new computer. The question is, can you afford a new computer? If not, then get more info from the tech people to find out exactly what the problem is and if they cannot fix it, then you need to look for another job. If they are installing a VPN and if you have wireless router, you may want to check the settings on your router to make sure it will allow VPN pass through (not all routers do allow this). Also, if it is a VPN, then you may have to turn off your firewall protection to allow it to work. I hope this helps you in some way.

What software are they installing and where does the program get snagged? - Curious

[ In Reply To ..]
x

your computer - Sue

[ In Reply To ..]
How old is your computer-do you have the original disks that came with it. You may have to clean the entire thing off. If you have the disks, put them in the drive and follow directions, this will wipe the total computer, so be sure to save anything to CDs or mini drives that you will definitely want-make sure there are no viruses on it though. Once you have cleared the computer, go to windows and download all the updates. I had to recently do this with my computer because of incompatibility. It worked.

Hmm what version of MS WORD sm - darlene

[ In Reply To ..]
I seen job ads that say Word version 2003 and up.

I had way back a 2002 version which some job ads rejected.

I might consider maybe can rent one for a time? Or have them tell you "exactly" why the 2 PCs do not mesh so you can ask a PC tech, maybe at Best Buy Geek Squad (look in yellow pages or online google.) Can't really coordinate if you don't know why.

Usually they have tech support come in and look inside your PC (online thing) Need PC tech info (as opposed to second hand vague info from a recruiter etc.

Many places I know don't take a lot of windows versions like Vista, Windows 7 etc. satellite, wireless etc so be careful there also. Maybe you can charge a PC can get now for $300 to $500 but again, coordinate what it has with what will mesh with their system.

Plus email me I know of a possible opening (an MT left) if your problem does not work out. Pretty good platform using DocQScribe

Suggestion - RubySoho

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're in the position where you must have this particular job and need a new computer, I'm going to assume you don't just have $500 or more lying around for a last-minute purchase.

QVC and HSN both have really decent PCs you can get for a 4-pay plan, about $125 a month, and they ship after the first payment. I had to do this to accept a job and the computer, while not top of the line, works just fine and the ability to buy it with 4 flex-pays just literally saved me financially.

I can't offer IT advice, but I was concerned for you when I saw you might be forced with that unexpected expense, so I wanted to toss this out there for you...Hope it helps and good luck!

Hey, everyone can they just put her on another account - MTsaidright

[ In Reply To ..]
or just let her go, either way, she should ask for another account that require different software.

On reading other posts, they have not given your enough precise info - darlene

[ In Reply To ..]
They should have had their PC tech (as they usually do) to look over things inside (they do this via a sofeware program like that lets them inside)

You just do not have any information to begin thinking this through, have to have precise info, i.e., tech support info to pass on to another tech person to solve the darn thing.
This stuff can be so nerve wracking. I spent days almost a week I think, sitting at my PC while tech support tried and tried (not being paid for this time either) I think it was company Teletrak I think, it was VPN ridiculous amount of time, I think it was lack of tech support experience, not an old PC either, the recruiter came in first to see what my PC had, then scheduled appointment with tech support to come in and install.

Darlene - DesperateMT

[ In Reply To ..]
They told me before I was hired that my computer was compatible and I had the exact same software on my computer from the job I just quit. So, I do not understand how it is now not compatible and they do not either. They want me to quit and email them, but I need my job.

Desperate: Email me, see where it says "reply by email" - darlene

[ In Reply To ..]
I tried to email you, but it did not "go" it bounced back.

look at where is says in BLUE, post a reply, reply by email. Write your message and click Reply by Email, I will get it and send you back the company name with poss. opening
Darlene-emailed you - DesperateMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you
DESPERATE MT got your email and emailed you back - darlene
[ In Reply To ..]
hopefully it went through

Duplicate software interference? See below - RoadRunnerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I noticed in your post above here that you said you had the exact same software on your computer from the job you just quit. I am wondering if this is not causing the problems. Have you uninstalled this software yet? and if so, what did you use to uninstall? Chances are it left pieces of the program in the registry and that is interferring with your new install of same software. I would remove it completely, even manually scanning registery and deleting if necessary, then try fresh install. Also, make sure you are signed on your computer as administrator WITH a password or you could also have problems. Ran into that lately myself with Word 2003. I was administrator but did not have password set up.

Also, might I add, it's never a good idea to quit one job before starting another.
Happily amazed - Wow
[ In Reply To ..]
What a pleasant sight, seeing everyone trying to help her out as best we can remotely.

Who says we're a bunch of negative Nellys?

I think we rock :-)

Might check dell.com website ($399) sm - darlene

[ In Reply To ..]
but again, check specifics, can do that by clicking here and there to see what is inside

http://www.dell.com/

no computer - kb

[ In Reply To ..]
That would not be by chance Focus Infomatics?

Trying running ccleaner - could be just junked up

[ In Reply To ..]
Try running this on your PC. Sometimes, it's just a matter of cleaning out internet explorer, etc. Also, make sure you have a a good virus program that's up to date and run it. I run this weekly on my PC and I had been using my 7 year old Dell until my hubby suprised me with a new HP. It is free.

forgot to add ccleaner has registry cleaner nm - ccleaner

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Dont mess with your registry! - unless you want a whole new set of probs

[ In Reply To ..]
Stay away from any registry cleaner. That area is best left to the pros.

Go ahead and use the CCleaner, but under Cleaner Settings > Applications > Windows .. UNCHECK RegEdit box.

To desperate MT - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
After you emailed me and I responded back - glad to see you took my advice and posted your problem here - I knew others could help you more than I could. Hope your problem gets resolved and best of luck !!!! There are still good samaritans out there. :)

Similar Messages:

Hurry! Landmark Has An Opening Again - Sm
Nov 20, 2010

Nah - they don't answer any responses to their ads anyway.  Don't bother. ...

What Do A, And P Stand For? ? A Doc In A Damn Hurry!
Jul 10, 2012

Dear HT got this today(sr):  "..... A. ............. PE. .......... medicines reviewed..." ( She leaves out stuff I shouldn't see, she's very good about HIPPA) She said the audio was "pee", not "p e". Took her forever to figure out that he want the headings ASSESMENT and PLAN! Especially with Medicines after PLAN. Doc has six residents under him, but THEY all know how -and take the time!- to say "assesment" and 'plan".  If he had said RFTEOTWIN, was my dear MT supposed ...