A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Comcast - NJ

Posted: Oct 20, 2010

Is anyone else having trouble with Comcast internet.

Yes, and I'm in California (see message) - Comcaster

[ In Reply To ..]
For the past week my Comcast internet has been seeming to run slower than usual, then tonight it was so incredibly slow it would time out just trying to upload something from Google or Facebook or MTStars. I powered off 2-3 times and waited about 5 minutes each time before powering back up and it FINALLY seems to be working okay.

My Comcast phone service has also been putting through horrid crackly, staticky connections on about 50% of our calls.

Comcast needs to seriously get their act together...it's so frustrating!

Define trouble... - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I was having massive problems with Comcast a couple of months ago. Frustrating as all get out. I would be merrily working along and then I would just lose my internet connection. Some times I would be able to get right back in and others it would take longer. Calling Comcast was an exercise in frustration, because they would always have me reset my system and sometimes that would work. I even had someone come out to the house, only to have the problem continue.

What I finally figured out on my own was that when the cable was initially installed a number of years ago, there was a splitter put on the wiring in the bedroom that is now my study. I took that off and it seemed to be better. when the guy from Comcast came out, he put a small piece on the cable called an attenuator. What it's supposed to do is "calm" down the signal coming directly from the pole, but in my case what it did was cut out the signal completely. I took off the attenuator and have been fine ever since.

Don't know what your specific issues are, but that could be something to look for.

Comcast - Ugh

[ In Reply To ..]
Always. I hate it but it's better then Dish.

DISH... - RubySoho

[ In Reply To ..]
My sister has DISH network. She lives in the foothills and after 90-120 minutes of inactivity, her DISH network actually cuts off the picture and replaces it with a DISH network screen saver (kind of like the Windows screen saver after a period of inactivity). I always panic when I'm watching a movie at her house and the message comes up warning me that, due to inactivity, the signal will be interrupted.

Craziest thing I've ever heard of...If you're watching a 2-hour movie at her house, at some point about midway through the movie, you have to remember to change channels and then change right back or it will cut off the signal right at the end of the movie.

Comcast can be a pain at times, but at least they never cut off my signal due to "inactivity," LOL!

She can turn that off. - DISHuser

[ In Reply To ..]
If she so desires, she can go

Preferences to inactivity standby, and disable it.
Awww, thanks so much! - RubySoho
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm going to text this to her right now. I know it drives her crazy, too. She can't sleep without background noise and the way DISH relegates her to inactive and goes to screen saving mode, it wakes her up every night and she has to reactivate it. I don't think she had any idea that she could disable it.

Thanks again for the info!!!

Similar Messages:

Comcast Phone Service
Jul 27, 2010

Does anyone have Comcast phone service and do their work via C-phone.  If so, have you had any hassles from them if you dial into a long distance number?  Thanks for your help. ...

Anyone Using Comcast For Internt, What Modem Do You Use
Apr 01, 2014

I have VPN connection problems with the Comcast modem. At least that is what my support is telling me. Comcast not taking responsibility. I'm using their Netgear modem. Has anyone else had problems with VPNand/or what modem do you use. Any help would be appreciated!! ...

Anyone Using Their Own Modem With Comcast High Speed?
Mar 16, 2011

Hey all! I have Comcast high speed internet and am paying a $7/mo rental fee for using their modem. If anyone out there uses a store-bought modem with Comcast, would you mind naming the brand? With my luck, I will pick the wrong kind and have problems right after taking the Comcast one back. Actually, if anyone thinks I should stick with the rental, I would like your opinion, too. Thank! ...

Comcast Subcontractor Post Question
Sep 12, 2013

Back around the first part of the year, there was a poster who was discussing how one of her relatives was subcontracted through a company to work as an at-home IT rep for Comcast (working from home taking customer calls, setting their own hours to take calls, etc)., and I can't find the post anywhere in the archives. I wrote down the name of the company the poster named to contact and now, of course, I can't find it. If that poster sees this, would you be so kind as to post it again ...