A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Not sure if I am going to throw up or cry-sm - cheated

Posted: Sep 11, 2013

Now I am supposed to change every day that Im scheduled except one and then move some hours to my two days off....let me see....yep, now I will working 7 days a week, random hours.  CryYell

By order of who? - time to job hunt..nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Email from TSM or whatever the heck her new title is! - cheated

[ In Reply To ..]
Email from TSM or whatever the heck her new title is!

I little bit of an exaggeration, but only slight. Four of my scheduled days and times, at least 2 hours from each are to be twitched to either that evening or to the 2 days I have off. Riduculous as like everyone else, I have a life.. I have worked this schedule for 13 years and now it doesnt work for them...really??!!

Got the same e-mail - Trampled underfoot

[ In Reply To ..]
All the times we are to switch to are lousy. Plus the requirement that we have 8 hours every weekend "without exception". That just might be the final straw. I've worked 4 hours every Saturday for 30+ years for this outfit but that's not good enough any longer.

Just. Say. No. This is getting out of hand. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I said no. fire me. don't care anymore. - need a vacation from this stress

[ In Reply To ..]
I will not change again. Changed 3 times in the past year cause apparently the dictation keeps changing... um no... the TSMs don't know how to staff properly. They fire people, lose coverage on those shifts, move us, lose coverage on our shifts, move us again... ridiculous.

And I bet... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Others said no, so those who were nice enough in the beginning to say yes get changed multiple times (3 times in the past year!). I think it's insulting that they assume you have no life.

I agree. Just say no. You are right, this is getting out of hand. nm - confused again

[ In Reply To ..]

Can you imagine answering a Help Wanted ad that says... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Schedule: To be determined by employer, and can be changed randomly at any time to day or night 7 days a week. Who would ever apply and work for such a company?! Oh, I guess we do.

Within the last couple of months, this company now demands that employees check around the clock and/or use PTO if they are not supplied enough work, YET just cut our PTO at the same time! Reducing PTO for full-timers/punishing those who have been here the longest, and completely removing PTO for part-timers. They've also cut shift differential.

And now you, unfortunately, have this TSM (who gets weeks of vacation and a 9-5 schedule with weekends and holidays off) informing people to forget about a personal life and she will tell you when to work; in essence, to revolve their lives around a company that does absolutely NOTHING for the employee but take things away. How is this okay?!!

I worked for a very successful company for 20+ years that had no issues with coverage. Why? We had flexible schedules (committed to a minimum line count a day), were offered weekend and shift differentials, and holiday pay. These clueless MTSOs created this 'strict schedule' which obviously does NOT work in an industry with the ebb and flow of dictation. Their system does't work, but instead of fixing it, they keep trying these new nonsensical tactics at our expense. Unbelievable.

I was hired at MQ flexibile - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
umpteen years ago. THEY made me take a schedule. THEY made me sign into a stupid time clock. I told them it would cause problems. Seems to me if they went back to flexible, it would save them money in the long run. I would GLADLY go back and give up PTO. Im an insomniac, if I wake up at 2 a.m. I would much rather work then watch TV and wait..

Have you ever worked anywhere besides transcription? - the norm

[ In Reply To ..]
Outside of working as an MT from home, having an employer-determined schedule is normal. I've been a baker, a cook, a groundskeeper, a tutor and an in-house MT. Every single one of them I was given a schedule and told to follow it. If they needed me to work at a different time, they scheduled me differently. Many places give you a schedule every 2 weeks and it can be different every time.

Apparently the truth is hard to swallow - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't like the changes anymore than anyone else, but what she said was the truth. I've worked dozens of odd jobs before becoming an MT and rarely got to pick my hours or even days.
But you agreed on that schedule, not to have it randomly changed daily. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
You've worked "dozens of odd jobs" and "rarely got to pick my hours or even days"? That's an unusual amount of job-hopping, your unfortunate choice, and is certainly not "the truth" for most people.

I had a job whose schedule changed weekly that I agreed to, but that was in high school at the local grocery store. I couldn't and wouldn't take such a job now because I'm an adult with family obligations and a very busy and fulfilling life outside of work. The point is, you were told your schedule would change, and you accepted such conditions. How in the world does that relate to the OP's situation? She was not told when she was hired that her job would be changed multiple times a year and she would end up working random hours 7 days a week.
And if I didn't agree, I wouldn't be hired or I'd be fired. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Sure, I had 2 weeks to know what my schedule would be, but I couldn't predict when I would work.
So have I, but I wasn't suddenly told to work graveyard - TimeToALLCallOffWork
[ In Reply To ..]
and I had excellent benefits, solid pay, respect, etc.

Really, what if we all agreed to call off for a day--every single person? Maybe two days? Would they fire everyone? I bet they couldn't do it. Maybe the only way to get some positive changes is to start fighting back. This has become about as one sided and unfair as it could possibly be.

Yes I have, and this IS a medical transcription board - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sure my point was evident to most: There is a big difference between applying for a job with hours listed and accepting THAT AGREED-UPON schedule, than accepting the schedule offered by M*Modal at contract signing (for example) of 12-8 pm five days a week, but now, because of NJA and work not being supplied by the company, you HAVE to work 12-2 and midnight to 4 am. but tomorrow might be 2-6 and 8-9 and 1-3 am and the day after it might be 3 hours, oh, and you will have to work all weekend so cancel any plans. But I guess if that sounds 'fair' to you.......

And yes, I have had other jobs, starting at 16 in high school, interning in college, and also worked 10 years at a teaching hospital in medical and supervisory positions. I am a very hard worker and adhering to a schedule has never been an issue here at M*Modal or with other employers. Not quite sure what 'other' jobs have to do with this discussion of checking back for work around the clock or, as the OP stated, being told to change your schedule 3 times in a year, and now to work 7 days a week.

Medical transcription has always been an industry whose workflow depends upon the ever-changing volume being dictated at any given time. This career was known as 'flexible' for decades before all the changes. In fact, ironically, that is EXACTLY what M*Modal is now demanding their employees be, but without any of the benefits (to us). Not sure why anybody would actually argue this when it's evident that strict schedules are NOT working, which is why employees are now being told to "flex" their time around the clock or repeatedly change schedules. Get it? M*Modal now wants their employees to have a flexible schedule because the other way was not working.

I've worked for 3 MT companies. My first for 20+ years, starting in-house, with a wonderful MTSO (where I was still making $50,000+ on VR up until 2011) and my second with an MTSO with a 12-hour window to complete my 8-hour shift, which was acquired by M*Modal. Thankfully, I have a great supervisor and so far no NJA, but M*Modal is the only place I've ever heard of or worked at that demands its employees to suspend their outside obligations and family life to be available 24/7 or use up their vacation time (which, by the way, was just reduced).
yes I had a real job - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Overtime was pretty much routine, being called in on holiday weekend, yes. But at 50 bucks an hour, I couldn't care less..Not gonna do it for here though not for a pittance of pay
Thank you! I so agree with everything you said.-sm - cheated
[ In Reply To ..]
The way I read the email about changing my schedule is 1, it is mandatory and 2, I will be working a split shift several days a week and working some on one of my 2 days off because one condition said -- If you work Wed/Tues 7a to 1p, you MUST work 2 hours on Friday or Saturday. Now on Monday and Thursday, I MUST work 2 hours in the evening...after 4.

Now having been hired 13 years ago and told the schedules where Sunday through Thursday (mine) or Tuesday through Saturday and I have worked that consistently for the entire time.

Im so confused

Hmmm, I'm trying to be nice here, BUT, if they kept our schedules flexible, sm - confused again

[ In Reply To ..]
I would be more agreeable to the schedule changes, but come on...we are remminded that we must work our schedules, punch in and punch out, but if there is not work, we have to work when they want us to???? We are educated, skilled workers and we are being treated like they are doing us a favor. Every time they have a layoff and I am not a part of it, I feel like I bought a ticket for the lottery and did not win. I had a contract with my set schedule that I agreed to and if I don't work it, that would be reason for termination, why then can they change it any time they feel like it. If I wanted to work like that I would wait tables and make a hell of a lot more money than MModal pays me. You've had too much Kool-Aid my friend!

Jeesh, why don't they try to "fix" the system? How many - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
different things do they have to actually DO to get MTs to quit? That is their goal! They know exactly what they are doing. They do not want to HAVE to lay off--they WANT MTs to quit so they won't have to pay UE (and YES they DO have to pay). They are having to lay off some anyway because not enough of us were quitting.

I would advise no one actually quit, make THEM let you go. Refuse to change your schedule, etc....force them to let you go if you are in the position to do this. If you want to keep your job here (dont know why) then you are going to have to put up with their BS, but i doubt you will get laid off if you are FT. Not unless they are backed into it.

Okay I'm rambling....just so pissed at this company.

How much do you think you will get with UE? - They base it on your last

[ In Reply To ..]
4 quarters. I don't know about anyone else, but that would be basically nothing for me if I got UE.
That - is
[ In Reply To ..]
why you shouldn't have waited so long. I filed back in January and last year was a great year for me, so I got the full UE for my state. Even on partial UE, it's not bad. I'm also starting school in a couple weeks through TAA.

Similar Messages:

Did TT Throw Everyone Under The Bus?
Feb 07, 2015

It sounds like chaos and malcontent with the "takeover/merger."  It would be nice if peoples' lives and tenure with the a company were respected enough that everyone was given a head's up when things are going to change, especially those of us with no backup, no family or husband, alone or with kids, those who have no backup whatsoever, so that our measly cash flow is not interrupted.  That is not a lot to ask for, for years of dedicated service.  I am appalled tha ...

I Could Just Throw This Computer Out The Window.
Oct 31, 2013

Just received 2 emails - 2 jobs with 1 error each from this a.m. I have been extremely careful doing VR and these 2 errors are a word that is "missing." I think once we upload a job, this VR crap doesn't 'save" what we've done in a report fully. This has been happening quite a bit lately. I had a report a couple of weeks ago where the report had an entire paragraph in it that wasn't dictated. I remembered that job from a few hours prior and I know I didn't add t ...

Are You Going To Throw Out All Immigrants To Their Respective Nations Due To Lack Of Jobs To Native
Aug 10, 2010

There is a cry in USA not to outsource US jobs to other countries.  In the same way, are they crying for USA should belong to only native Americans and all others should be pushed out of US for the sake of getting jobs to the native people.  There are crores of immigrants from other nations came to USA.  I think it is better to pass a legislation in order to push them to their native countries so that Americans only get the jobs and live happily.   Then lakhs of doctors, ...