A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone else in my shoes?? - So Tired

Posted: Mar 04, 2010

I just read my Medquist email and heard about this new First Time Right policy!! 5% QA submission, are they kidding me? When this proposal was first mentioned months ago, I had my first major conflict with my supervisor arguing the fact that I type for multiple foreign doctors at teaching hospitals and there was no way I was able to comply with only a 5% submission rate and be able to in turn comply with a 98% accuracy rate....and can you guess what my answer was from my direct supervisor - "Typing is typing. If you can transcrbe, you can type anything." Obviously this woman has no transcription experience because if she did, she would now that was not true at all!! Even if I have copies of every single past report these dictators have transcribed, foreign doctors rarely dictate the same things over and over and if they did, what about the rest of the report? So now I'm going to get another decrease in pay after having three over the last three years with the pay-cuts for medical editors (80% of base rate, then 70% of base rate and now 60% of base rate) because of the dictators I transcribe??

Anyone else in my position??

If you have dictators that are that bad, you - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
are supposed to give them blanks and send straight to the client. MQ says they are "going back to trusting the MTs"....I think there could probably be an ulterior motive....but anyway.....if your dictators are that crappy, leave blanks and don't send to QA, and then it won't count against your 5%. However, if you leave excessive (what they consider blanks you SHOULD have been able to fill in, you could sacrifice your audits). We are all waiting to see how this one turns out. For now, I'm very cautiously optimistic.

That is not what I was told! - So Tired

[ In Reply To ..]
I was told that the only time you leave blanks and bypass QA would be if you feel that someone at QA would not be able to understand the dictator such as cut-off dictation or defective dictation such as severe static. Otherwise, I was told you have to send to QA as usual. With everything going on right now, I don't want to create any waves and get fired. I'm already on probation because of a failed audit because I was trying to comply with the 5% QA submission and guessed at words. I feel I'm in a no-win situation!!

Only send things like - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
spelling/terminology issues to QA now that would impact the report negatively otherwise. For example, not being able to figure out correct spelling for a Dr. Name, etc., would go straight to client BUT not knowing the correct spelling of say a procedure, etc., would go to QA.

Those are the only types of blanks going forward to QA now. Anything to do with the actual sound clarity of the dictation itself goes to client. This include the cut-off dictations, mumbling, background noise, etc.

If you're unsure about a word then send to QA, otherwise send to client.

Similar Messages:

Dip Soled Shoes?
Apr 20, 2011

Anyone heard of this?  I hear it twice in the same report.  No other information to help me thus far.  TIA! ...

Ortho Doc Dictates S/l "seven Sixteenth" Heel Lift Shoes
Jul 15, 2013

how do you transcribe this ...