A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

"rights" as an IC - flowerchild

Posted: Jun 05, 2015

I've been in the business for 20+ years and only recently in the last 6 months I've been working as an IC.  I gather that the advantage of working in this capacity is there are no minimum lines and you can set your own hours--at least that's been my experience.

A couple of weeks ago I made the mistake of contacting my supervisor regarding the overly zealous TL who was checking my reports (on a new account).  She constantly picked apart each and every one submitted; mind you, in the "real" QA audits I consistently get 100%; these audits are done by someone other than a TL.  

It got so I was avoiding doing any work in that account.  Hence (groan) the email to my supervisor, citing several reports that TL had done.

Well.

THAT was a big, fat mistake.  She not only defended the TL but took the time to review several of my OTHER reports from that account and make corrections as she saw fit.  This was demoralizing as heck, but the main problem was that she was wrong and wouldn't back down.

Case in point:  An ESL with whom I have no problem dictated under lab values "total leukocyte count 6.3"  She changed it to "WBC count 6.3," this after lambasting me a half dozen times for not typing verbatim/changing what the speaker said.

I listened to the dictation again and again.  total leukocyte count is what he said.  I pulled up all 294 reports on record from this dictator and in each and every report where there were lab values dictated, this is what was transcribed.

She said she took umbrage (her words) that I would question her corrections.  She can take all the umbrage she wants--the fact is she's wrong and won't admit it.  

So I guess what I'm asking is, to what extent can those in charge harass the IC help?  I want so badly to cite the 294 reports in an email, and holler about all the other erroneous corrections but unfortunately I need this job; I'm on the back side of 60 and really don't have the option of retraining in a new field.  

Thanks for anyone's point of view.  

As An - IC

[ In Reply To ..]
You have no rights. As an EMPLOYEE you have no rights. Being IC does not mean you get to override "their rules," just because of that. You are still expected to do the job as they require you to, and it is not "harassment." They may or may not be wrong in their QA changes, but they do not want you pointing it out. You just do as your told, shut up, and if you want the job, do what they ask. Obviously this is not the job for you, so you had better start looking elsewhere. In a situation such as this, where QA is trying to gain the upper hand and you don't want to give it up, well, you just keep a low profile, keep your head down, keep your mouth shut, and keep on working. If you want to get fired, keep doing what you are doing. JMO

The person who replied to the OP - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like she works at Synernet. Just sayin...

To those - who think

[ In Reply To ..]
they know who I am... you "assume" much and "know" very little, which is why you are still in your positions. You know nothing of who I am, and little of anything else. I simply speak the truth from experience. Just sayin.....
"still in your positions" - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
That is an odd statement. How do you know what position I am still in. Strange...
Watch out, your Holier-than-thou is showing! - noneya
[ In Reply To ..]
You come across as arrogant. So what if they do or don't know who you are? Maybe you shouldn't post anything that could come back and bite you in the sit down.
Maybe - You Should
[ In Reply To ..]
follow your own example with your ID....noneya.

QA/TL BS - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Although I don't work as an IC, I have had overzealous QA people who like to "throw their weight around" and get it wrong. I have gotten into the habit of just not responding to any QA feedback and just implement what I know I've done wrong and ignore what I know is still right. The fact is that any changes made in a report are documented as well as what we have put in the report. Just keep a copy of all the emails you're sent and let her explain if the facility or dictator has a question about what is in the report. That way you stay under the radar, continue to do your job, and keep it moving. Otherwise, you're going to send yourself crazy and start worrying about how long you'll have a job. Just relax and come to the realization that we're not considered the professional adults that we are. They would rather convince themselves that we are robots who are at their beck and call and have no rights to question their "authority." It gets easier to forget that thing called humanity when all you communicate with is a computer screen.

IC rights - flowerchild

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you're right--and with years of watching our profession go down the tubes I should know better than to get my undies in a knot over such things. Musta lost my mind for a minute.

If you want your job I will tell you a little - thing I know

[ In Reply To ..]
The companies read these postings. One lady several years ago was actually sued by the company she was working for because of what she wrote here. One time I posted and the company I worked for then asked, "is that you" and put in my real name. I think it would be possible from what you have said here to match you up with your company and them possibly eliminating you. I would be careful, if I wanted to keep the job, to not give enough facts for it to come back at you.

There's a poster here - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Seems to be making paranoid statements, and also looseness of association. This one and the other one above. Strange. This is just a board. No big deal. No need for these conspiracy theories. Methinks someone is going to start to spin CIA stories now. Life is too short for this.

Not paranoid at all. It did and - does happen.

[ In Reply To ..]
The only bizarre content in a post in this thread is the one above.

MTSOs do figure out which employees post here. It isn't that difficult given the details some people share. The OP provided more than enough.
You only need to ask a few others who have been - here a few years, they know
[ In Reply To ..]
Where do you get looseness of associations? I read what the person who was sued wrote and I was thinking too much information. Apparently her job saw it and sued her for defamation. She had talked against the company and made information known that her company could piece together where it came from. We were told where the suit was filed, who filed it but others might know of the final outcome, I don't. Do not think for 1 minute this cannot happen.

IC rights - flowerchild

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you're right--TMI. You're not being paranoid. I'll consider myself lucky if this flows under the bridge and out to sea.

Similar Messages:

Do We Have Any Employee Rights?
Jan 18, 2011

Can someone please advise on this scenario? You are hired with a company to do specific jobs.  For 9 months you work as hard as you can for this company, and then you are told you will need to do EVERY work type, even those you have absolutely NO experience doing.  You are told 20 minutes before your shift that this is the case, and now all you are getting is not only work types you are not familiar with, but ESL doctors on top of that.  Production PLUMMETS. Just deal with it?&n ...

How Do You Get Administrative Rights To A
Oct 31, 2012

install software?  Job ad states this. ...

Employee Rights Question
Apr 07, 2014

I've searched myself and cannot seem to find correct information so if anyone has any answers I would certainly appreciate it. Since I am an-home MT working piece rate (production only) and not paid hourly, can my employer? A. Enforce mandatory unlimited OT... B. Enforce such until further notice... C. Fire me for refusing/not complying to OT hours. I am FT, 40 hours a week and my MTSO is on mandatory OT until further notice (I am not complaining per se about the feast right now ...

New Commercial Regarding Workers' Rights & IC Status
Aug 26, 2010

I live in California and just now my husband called my attention to the TV. Sokolove Law LLC (ambulance chasers, usually one of those "If you or someone you know has taken the drug..." commercials) is advertising for anyone being hired as an independent contractor yet treated as an employee with an expected scheduled, etc., should call them to pursue their legal entitlements. Once the pharmaceutical ambulance chasers get on the subject of IC versus employee, I have a suspicion things are gonna ...

Question About Labor Laws And IC Rights.
Nov 20, 2012

I had a check bounce from a client as I am an IC. I was wondering if I have any rights as to file a complaint with the DOL or the BBB? Any and all info. will be appreciated. TIA ...

Vista And Full Local Admin Rights
Sep 14, 2011

Having problems with company trying to load Dictaphone platform onto my computer.  I have Vista and it is denying access to some applications, saying I don't have full adminstrator rights.  Has anyone had this problem? TIA! ...