A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Radiology Transcriptionist needing to learn Acute Care??? - sapierce567

Posted: Sep 22, 2013

I've been a radiology transcriptionist for over 16 years, but I want to know how I could learn acute care?  There are so many job openings for transcriptionists with acute care experience, but I have only 1-2 months worth.  Are there any places out there that might hire me and help train me in acute care?  Any ideas?  Help! Thank you in advance for your help. 

Steph

to sapierce - reader

[ In Reply To ..]
I have the same problem. And if you are lucky enough to get an interview and they ask you how much experience have you had in Clinic or Hospital, and have you done discharge summaries and consults, or if they want RECENT acute care experience only, it's hard to take the chance and maybe exaggerate a little just to survive. But if you get hired and then realize it's too hard, and you get fired, you risk losing your unemployment benefit. At least that's how I think. I hope you are getting unemployment though if you're not working. The only way you don't qualify for unemployment is if you were like insubordinate or something like that. If you were fired for too many errors, then just tell your side of the story and make it sound good because chances are good you will get unemployment. And you probably will qualify for food stamps too. I had to do it, it will get you by till you find a job. If you can stand and walk, get a job at McDonalds or Wallmart or something cause you'll probably get paid more than Nuance or anybody else pays anyway. Take care.

Steph - MT Headed

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you could get hired if you tested well, just start applying and testing at different places. In one of my acute care jobs (on site) we did it all, including radiology and that is how I learned rad. Then at my next job I did multispecialty. Rad was a separate department but they used me for backup so it can go both ways. With acute care it will probably just be a matter or learning the terms, which you can look up. ESL? Well, that is difficult for everyone. There might be some practice modules on line that you could use, I'm unsure of that. Good luck with your job search.

You'll probably have a difficult time unfortunately - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, with the job market the way it is, you will probably have a difficult time with your lack of experience in acute care. One to two months is nothing as far as experience is concerned and it sounds like you limited most of your time working to radiology. With TAT such a huge concern, MTSOs unfortunately do not have the time to train someone or hold their hand. They expect an MT to pretty much be able to hit the ground running. I wouldn't lie about your amount of experience either, because eventually, it WILL come back to bite you and it could be grounds for termination or severing your contract depending upon whether you get hired as an employee or IC. I would sugggest testing to get a feel for things and see how you do. Good luck!

testing - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
I have taken tests and every one of them have the worst dictators, worst audio, and my foot pedal NEVER works, it takes hours to try to finish 5 test reports because you have to rewind with your mouse cause the foot pedal never works.

reply to Me regarding testing - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a standard IN-USB 1 foot pedal and with the exception of one company, I have never had to use the mouse or keyboard for my testing. My foot pedal has worked just fine. It could be your foot pedal or it could be that when you get ready to test, possibly you are using the settings in the MTTest program. I never do that. I save the files to a folder on my desktop, type the report in Word, spell check the document and cut and paste the finished product in the appropriate box. Hope this helps and good luck in your testing.

Similar Messages:

Help With Radiology And Acute Care
Dec 26, 2009

Happy Christmas everyone!  I am looking after 2 accounts over Christmas, one Radiology and one Acute Care, neither of which I have any experience of!  Can anybody out there point me in the direction of some good websites that would give me vocabulary lists or a "crash course" on these topics?!  ...

Radiology Vs Acute Care
Jun 06, 2010

Can anybody tell me if you can make more money doing Radiology or Acute Care? ...

How To Get Acute Care Exp, Have 16 Yrs Of Radiology
Sep 19, 2013

I have over 16 years experience with radiology transcription, but only 1 to 2 months experience with acute care. How can I get more experience with acute care?  Almost all the job openings I find need acute-care experience, at least one or two years.  Can anyone help me? Any ideas? I appreciate your help. ...

Acute Care To Radiology
Jan 27, 2014

I have worked in acute care for 11 years and will soon start a new job in the radiology department of a local hospital. I know it will be a completely different world. Does anyone who has done this have any advice for making this transition? Thanks!  ...

Would Radiology Be Considered Acute Care?
Jan 07, 2010

Would radiology be considered acute care? ...

Radiology Vs Acute Care Vs Clinic Notes
Oct 13, 2009

Which generally pays more? Is there any speciality that generally has a higher cpl rate? ...

Acute Care - What Does Acute Care Consist Of?
Apr 08, 2010

I know this is a really stupid question but, what does acute care consist of?  What types of reports are acute care?  I understand that it is basically emergency type of care or short-term care, but exactly what types of reports would you be transcribing? TIA ...

How Do I Learn Radiology?
Aug 22, 2010

What's the best way to learn Radiology? I have no experience in this specialty. Should I just wait until I get a new job and am in it for a while, then ask to be trained on a Radiology account? ...

I Want To Learn Pathology And Radiology Transcription
Jul 23, 2010

Hi, I been working full time in acute care as an IC now for 7 years and I have been noticing the only jobs for transcriptionists left in hospitals or labs is pathology, sometimes but rarely radiology.  How can I go about learning pathology.  I been in acute care my whole career, it can't be that hard to learn after typing acute care non stop for this long.  Any ideas? ...

How Do You Get Into Acute Care?
Dec 29, 2009

Alot of the job listings ask for 5+ years in this area, so how do you get into it in the first place? I don't mind starting at the bottom and moving up... But where is the bottom? I had a job with a company but they would not pay me. So now I am trying to look for a job again and not many people wantt o hire someone that does not have alot of experience. So.. How do you get into a specialty?? ...

Acute Care! Acute Care! Acute Care!
Oct 04, 2010

That's it!  I've had it with transcription companies that only offer acute care transcription and don't pay you anything for it anyway!  That if you don't have acute care experience or been lucky enough to obtain it.  SOL.  I'm changing my profession. ...

WOW, Just Saw An Ad For 0.6 CPL For ACUTE CARE! (sm)
Dec 29, 2010

I truly hope that no one applies for this job.  That is even beyond ridiculous for clinic work! ...

Why Does Acute Care Have More ESL?
Nov 10, 2012

I transcribe both clinic and some acute care, and the acute care that I transcribe has a higher percentage of ESL dictators.  It seems like that is typical for acute care.  Why is that?  Are the ESL doctors drawn more to being hospitalists? ...

Ped Vs Acute Care
Sep 26, 2013

What is the difference between ped and regular adult acute care transription?  I am being asked if I have ped experience but wouldn't they be the same?   ...

Acute Care?
Sep 23, 2014

As a relative newbie MT, I'm not certain what "acute care" means. Does it mean basically all reports that are from doctors in the hospital setting? That is, would any hospital operative note, hospital progress note, and all discharge summaries be considered "acute care"? I know a clinic note is basically a note by an outpatient doctor, right? And it's basically about more minor medical problems albeit could be chronic rather than "acute." ...

Obama Health Care And The Transcriptionist Perfession
Oct 17, 2010

I am just wondering how it is assumed that the Obama Health Care Bill will affect the medical transcription profession.   ...

What Is Acute Care Experience?
Nov 02, 2009

What is acute care experience?  Do you work for the hospital? I am sooo green to MT! Appreciate advice about this. Still waiting to start the AIM  MT internship. Anyone done it?   Diane in Vermont   ...

Working As An MT Acute Care...
Feb 22, 2010

I completed my education with Everett Community College in their Career Step program for MT training in Dec. 2006.  I have been working ever since in a rehab/therapy clinic.  I am the only one who does the transcription for 7 therapists and it is a rather busy office.  I have wanted to find work doing hospital transcription and certainly not from lack of trying to locate work on my part.  What frustrates me is that I was told by my instructors that I should be able to find su ...

Can A Clinical MT Ever Be An Acute Care MT
Apr 13, 2010

How long does it take for a clinical MT to become an acute care MT, or I am losing my mind even trying?  I have an interview with WalMart today and am actually considering it.... my confidence is down the toilet.  Any thoughts?  Thanks. ...

Getting Acute Care Experience
May 26, 2010

I have been an MT for 11 years and am wanting to expand my knowledge base beyond the realm of radiology. I have been applying for acute care positions but I am not even given the opportunity to test most of the time because I don't have any acute care experience. I would like to know what I would have to do in order to get some acute care experience behind me so that I can become eligible to apply for and test for acute care positions. Any information anyone has on this would be most a ...

Any Clinic MTs Try For An Acute Care Job...
Jun 04, 2010

And get hired? Opportunites are limited with clinic work, which is all I have experience with, but nobody will give me a chance. Should I apply for acute care positions anyway? Anyone MTs who only did clinic work have any stories about breaking into it? ...

Learning Acute Care
Jul 25, 2010

I have been doing clinics for 10 years.  Now I am learning acute care and it is very tough.  Lots of doctors and no time to learn each one of them.  Very tough.  Does it usually take a long time to learn this.  They say I am doing great, but lots of blanks! ...

What Categorizes Acute Care? 
Dec 28, 2010

What categorizes acute care?  I mean i have typed clinic notes for family practices and have done endocrinology ( i have not been an MT long and am still learning the lingo). when they say looking for acute care experience, what does that consist of?   thanks guys!! ...

TransTech Acute Care?
Aug 11, 2011

I see that TransTech just placed an ad for acute care MTs.   I was hoping that someone who currently works there or has worked for them in the past could share how your experience was.   Do you run out of work a lot?   Are they an overall good company to work for and treat their MTs well?   I remember reading in the distant past that a lot of people there were running out of work a lot.   Is this still an issue or a thing of the past?  Any feedback on this company w ...

Does Nuance Pay More For Acute Care
Dec 06, 2011

. ...

What Is Considered Acute Care?
Dec 21, 2011

Are things like EEG, EMG, EGD, inpatient H&P, discharge summary, inpatient consults, neonatology, and ED reports considered acute care?   ...

Tier 2 For Acute Care
Mar 28, 2012

Can anyone tell me the cpl range for a Tier 2 acute care MT at M*Modal? I was given an offer and just wanted to see if it is typical. Thanks. ...

Everyone Wants Acute Care Experience, But...
Jul 28, 2012

...nobody is willing to hire you so you can GET that experience!!!   So, short of lying on your resume, how exactly does one go about this??  And what is so special about AC experience anyways???   ...

How To Get Acute Care Experience?
Aug 01, 2012

Can someone please tell me how to get acute care experience? ...

How Do You Get Acute Care Experience?
Aug 06, 2012

I would love to know how you get acute care experience when no one will give you the opportunity without it. I am good at what I do and work hard. I am very frustrated because my current job went to voice recognition (which I am sure everyone is on that boat with me). My pay has been cut in half and I am looking for extra work but no one will look at me without acute care experience. Does anyone have any suggestion?  ...