A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Organize? - Solidarnosc

Posted: Aug 06, 2011

I have been trying lately to come up with a strategy for organizing online workers, not just MTs, but all work-at-home workers who:  (1) Get called "contractors" when they're clearly employees; (2) Get paid by the unit but are required to perform tasks on the job which do not figure in their unit pay; (3) Are required to supply their own computer, internet, phone, and electricity; (4) Are competing for a race to the bottom on pay with workers from impoverished countries; (5) Are given production and quality standards, which are arbitrarily established, arbitrarily interpreted, arbitrarily enforced, and can change at a moment's notice. I am new to this board, so I am sure this must have come up before, but have there been any really good ideas on how to organize when you do not personally know the person you work with?

Jeannine - Jean9

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have any immediate ideas, but count me in!

You should come up with a watchdog organizations - to police abuses by MTSOs.

[ In Reply To ..]
Avoid the idea of union since that will only push more dictation overseas. You can still file suits against organizations that tend to be dastardly. Not sure about the legal matters involved, but I read often about watchdog groups that file suits against big companies for abuses. The idea will require more investigation.

Similar Messages:

FIESA/Organize!!!
Sep 26, 2012

FIESA. Just forget about it!! I see many postings to just let FIESA go. Well, to some of us, this means letting $3600 go per quarter, 14,000+ per year. I can work at a far less demanding job with no BS for that and that is what I will be doing. There are many whose "incentive" bonus is a large part of their income and it cannot be forgotten unless the finance company for our cars, the mortgage broker, the pharmacies and doctors, the kids, the lives of their families, are forgotten as well. This ...

Dear Dictating Nurse Practitioner, Please Organize Your Thoughts
Oct 14, 2014

I am not allowed to think for you! Sincerely, The Typing Zombie   I have done three extremely long H&Ps dictated by the same nurse practitioner and OMG.  She has dictated the entire physical exam and in the middle of dictating the extremities, she says, "He has been wearing O2 2 liters nasal cannula during the daytime hours."  No, go back up and put this in under vitals or respiratory.  Just, "There is peripheral edema.  Pedal pules are normal.  Skin is ...