A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Opinons please - formerMT2008

Posted: Feb 15, 2012

Good morning everyone!  I have searched the boards, but I wanted to see what opinions I could get right here.  I received my certificate in MT in 2007.  I worked for MQ right out of school, but left when things started getting ridiculous (60 different accounts a day).  I then went to a small MTSO, but left there in 2008 when I was pregnant with my third child.  I haven't worked as an MT since.  I worked as an editor/proofreader for the last 3 years until the company did major cuts.  I am currently enrolled full time for my AAS in HIT, but I really need to find something to help out financially.  I am trying to find a company (doesn't matter if it's IC or employee) that allows for flexibility and is a little more understanding when you have an emergency.  Currently, I am working in sales/marketing and medical recruiting.  Both are IC positions, but they are also commission, so I need something more stable.  If I can't find anyone that is flexible enough, I'm prepared to work a schedule, but I am curious as to who the best companies are anymore.  A lot seems to have changed in the last 3-4 years in the MT industry, so I would really like some honest opinions on who the best companies are right now.  I am even willing to give MQ (noticed they changed the name) another chance if it's not a ridiculous amount of accounts per day. 

Thanks in advance!!

To be honest, if you want stability, just about - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
any MT job will NOT be that. I have been at it for 17 years and it has never been stable other than when I worked inhouse.

Let me rephrase that ;)-sm - formerMT2008

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, I know none of them are completely stable. I am just looking for something with more of a steady paycheck than commission-based positions. It's more an issue of knowing I at least have some income coming in for the month. Does that make more sense?

:)

well, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I dont get 60 different accounts per day at the Q anymore, however, usually around 25+. Things have changed, no flexibility at all here. Must work schedule or be put on the noncompliance list, and I have heard that people have been let go for not being in compliance.

I have only worked here, so I have nothing more to compare it to, and cant give a good company because I have never heard of a good one.

Thank you-sm - formerMT2008

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the honesty!

I loved the Q when I first started. Everyone was pleasant and helpful, but it just went downhill from there. I spent days in tears before I left because my head couldn't keep all the guidelines straight for all the accounts. Every time I opened a new dictation, it had a new set of guidelines. I really don't understand why they think it's productive that way. I will definitely avoid them at this point.

Thank you again!

Vern Davenport - intestinal flotsam

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not trying to be cruel, only realistic. You have 1 year experience from about 5 years ago. That's not a lot to offer a potential employer. The kind of employer that might be attracted would be the MQs of the world and they purposely treat their workers like garbage because they can get away with it. They will take away as much as they can until MTs push back and refuse to accept it. Why anyone but India works there is beyond me.

Is it that you have to work at home because you have 3 children? If you can leave the home, McDonald's would be a better job than MT. Heck, I was reading that MQ downgraded PTO rate to about $7.00/hour. You definitely could make more elsewhere.

MT is a really hard job. I see nothing but heartbreak for people who aren't at the top of their game. With a year of experience, you are ripe for exploitation and companies like MQ like to do that to their MTs.

That's my concern-sm - formerMT2008

[ In Reply To ..]
That's exactly why I was asking. I do have to be home because of the kids so it really limits what I can do at this point. I'm not even sure that I want to be an MT again, but I wanted to explore my options at this point. By the sounds of it though, it sounds like it's just going to add more stress rather than relieve any, so I will probably hold off and pray for a miracle, lol.

Thank you!!

Vern Davenport - intestinal flotsam

[ In Reply To ..]
Read as much as you can about what people say about where they work. Try to read between the lines and read critically. I'm sure someone will answer by saying that not all MTs are unhappy; they just don't take the time to write and complaining would be unseemly. I feel the more we know about how companies treat their MTs, the better off the entire body of MTs are.

Honestly, if we could ever put up a united front to refuse inequitable and unjust working conditions, we would be a force.

I have a sad picture of an MT in my mind now. Sitting there at 11:00 at night after the kids have gone to bed, faced with a horrible account (of course, times this by 10 accounts and 10 different specifics because you'll be constantly running out of work), 50 pages of specifics, editing garbage that ASR (the fake productivity enhancer that really only allowed the MQs of the world to cut your salary by more than half and did absolutely ZERO to increase your productivity) could not understand, which BTW is nearly the entire report, and I see way too much effort being expended for way too little return.

Well to be honest, no one HAS to be at home - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
because of kids.
Wow-sm - formerMT2008
[ In Reply To ..]
Posts like this are exactly why I quit going to message boards for the most part. You don't know my situation so you can't make that assumption in regards to me.

Thanks to everyone that helped!

Good luck to all of you!
FormerMT2008, this industry has made a lot of MTs - shortcake
[ In Reply To ..]
hard and cruel. Sort of like an abused child who ends up abusing their own children when they become parents....so sad.
Do you have any? When mine were babies I worked outside the home - shortcake
[ In Reply To ..]
and the last year (1998) my husband and I paid $6,000 for daycare for 2 kids. Because of the expense of daycare and my husband's unpredictable schedule, it only made sense for me to work at home, which I did. Fortunately back then MT was a great job. I made a good paycheck with all the flexibility I needed to be there for my kids while working from home.
Umm I have 2! Have you ever heard of daycare? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
why so rude???????
Yes, have heard of daycare and paid $6,000 the last year I worked outside sm - shortcake
[ In Reply To ..]
my home. I don't believe it was me being rude. I was just stating why I decided it was best for me to work at home. Sorry if you misunderstood.
Oh, really?? - Hates Haters
[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, I do - I had a civil service job that paid 50x what I'm paid as an MT, but I have an autistic son who has a myriad of other problems and an ex-husband who couldn't handle it (hence the ex) and decided ZERO involvement (personal and financial) would be best. I handled it as best I could until he became school aged. That's when the calls came numerous times a day, and days off from school and on and on. My cushy civil service job eventually ended and with a day like mine, never knowing how many phone calls will come, assuming he even makes it to the end of the school day, no "outside" employer would tolerate it. Add to that a father that contributes nothing and that makes me...what? Alone and responsible for a very special needs child. Daycare? LOL, literally.

So, yeah, I HAVE to work at home, and I dare say I'm not the only one. You've got a lot of nerve to say something so stupid when you don't know others situations.

not bad for all of us - anonyn

[ In Reply To ..]
It is according to the type of work and the region you are in. My PTO benefit did not go down. I stated above $15 an hour.

I have even seen heartbreak for people who were at the top of their game in this BIZ - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

EXACTLY!!!! - ThankYOU

[ In Reply To ..]
You are PERSACTLY right!!

Even the BEST telephone operator, team driver, or milk delivery man COULD NOT save their jobs no matter HOW good they were! Technology and offshore competition are HUGE, UNSTOPPABLE FORCES!

MT is DYING, and that FACT has affected EVERYONE adversely.

I am really sick and tired of seeing that false canard on this board!! Thank you for stating the TRUTH.

imho - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Transcend has given me a 12-hr window, but if it takes 15 or more some days, there has never been anyone bothering me about it. When I've needed time off for a personal situation, its been generously given. I did the MQ thing too, and different name or not would NEVER go back there if there is any other decent option.

p.s. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
you certainly won't be bombarded with dozens of accounts. I think I have more than most at about 6, and usually plenty of work.

Thank you-sm - formerMT2008

[ In Reply To ..]
I checked them out, but they want 3 years of experience, which I definitely don't have.

Thank you though!

well, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have seen where the MTSOs will overlook that experience they say they require for the right person. I understand Transcend has many, many openings, so it certainly would not hurt to try.

Since you HAVE to work from home for the kiddehs - sm - MT2coder2

[ In Reply To ..]
How about starting up an eBay biz? Some things sell better than others. I think baby clothes and maternity clothes are a hot item. I'm continually surprised at how used Keen and Merrell shoes sell for such a pretty penny. The women get the items to sell from yard sales, Goodwill, etc. There's a way to go about it. Surely you would make more money than with the Q... and at least your dignity would be intact.

If you didn't have to work from home, I'd encourage you to get a job (any job) at your local hospital as they will pay for your HIT schooling.

You may find it difficult with your experience being so remote. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I was in a similar situation a few years back. I had close to 2 years' experience working in-house at a local hospital, but then left to go to college. When I had my son, I wanted to find a work-at-home job since he had immune issues and could not be put in daycare. I tried to get back into MT, but was told my experience was too long ago. I ended up having to take an online course as a refresher, and even then I was consider an inexperienced MT by the companies I applied to as they didn't count my previous experience since it had been about 5 years prior.

I ended up finding a job with a smaller MTSO as an independent contractor. After 6 months working there, I was able to get hired on at a national. I, however, much prefer my IC job. I have much more flexibility and can log on and off when I want and am able to completely flex my schedule around my son's needs, plus the pay is much better.

Similar Messages:

AllType Platform? Opinons Please.
Aug 09, 2011

Do you have to use the mouse a lot? Would you consider it user friendly? Thanks in advance. ...

ChartNet Transcrption Platform--opinons Please!
Jul 13, 2011

Hi, I just received an offer that involves straight transcription on the ChartNet system. If any of you currently use this platform and would offer me your opinion on it, I would greatly appreciate it. Is is slow? Clunky? Are there are lot of screens to switch through? Do you have to enter patient demographics?   Thanks so much in advance for taking the time to respond! ...

Opinons Regarding Remote Coding Jobs
Aug 03, 2012

I noticed a few companies, one of them being Accentus, have coding positions that can be done from home. Anyone have one of these? Is the pay good or is it lower than a job out of the home? ...