A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Grandfathered in? - SM

Posted: Oct 20, 2009

How many of you were grandfathered in to this business? I do my own work for some local doctors, and I was thinking of training a newbie (very new, no training at all), but who I know is a good hard worker and is smart enough to 'get it', but I'm afraid that even if I do get her trained and ready to go she won't be able to get a job without an official certificate.

Would I be doing a disservice to her and me if I grandfathered her into MT?

absolutely NOT a disservice - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
Back in the "good old days" of MT, there were thousands of MTs, myself included, who were grandfathered for this job. And since the day I entered this business I have *never* been asked to produce a certificate, anymore than I have been asked to show my high school diploma.

Truthfully, if a company is going to deny somebody a job because they lack a MT certificate/diploma, even though they have excellent skills and great references, then shame on them!

Grandfathered in - smf

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. I've been a transcriptionist since 1971 and have no certificate and have never been asked for one and I'm a darned hard worker.

grandfathered - mt30+

[ In Reply To ..]
She probably will be more qualified to do the job than if she went to school. Teach her and teach her well!

I never went to MT school - 7DayMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Learned on te job, starting with the easy stuff. I knew how to type and had a greater than average knowledge of med terms, anatomy and physiology, etc. None of my employers have ever cared whether I went to an MT program or not. Just have to be able to pass their tests and do the job well.

Grandfathered in? - eagles_fan

[ In Reply To ..]
In my experience, nobody needs any kind of certificate to be an MT. All you need are excellent typing skills and knowledge of medical terminology. You also need to be reliable and have a good work ethic, but that's true in any job. I learned on the job. I don't know any MTs who took an MT course. You said this person is a good hard worker and smart enough to get it. By all means, train her. Employers only care if people can do the job or not.

Nothing Wrong with That - Smallfry

[ In Reply To ..]
Nothing at all wrong with that, imo. A whole lot of us (me included) were trained on the job versus going to a school. As long as you can be there and teach her personally through everything, and like you said, she is a good, hard worker, with a good command of the English language, that is great! I learned on the job. Later, I took a break from transcription and went to being a home MT for a company. No school, but I'm still learning every day after six years experience. A lot of it is learn as you go. Good luck in training this person! :)

Similar Messages:

Grandfathered MTs
Oct 03, 2011

I was one of the grandfathered-in MTs who took a very big pay cut.  Is it legal for MQ to slash the pay of the old grandfathered-in employees but not the new grandfathered-in employees?  MQ has acquired 3 companies in the last month and I am sure some of those employees were making more than the cap at MQ.  Is this legal or do they make up the rules as they go along??? ...

From A Grandfathered Employee Of MQ
Jul 12, 2011

You have successfully cut my pay over a dollar and a quarter.  ALL YOU BOARD OF DIRECTORS have NOT cut your pay, but in fact have gone up in pay with bonuses totaling over over a 1 million and a half in pay.  HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY AND HAVE A SOUND SLEEP DURING THE NIGHTS FOR DOING THIS!!! For this company, in years past, I have been called at all hours in the morning, 03:00 hours to type up YOUR STAT reports.  Never called in sick and loved working for The MRC Group.  Then you ...