A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

700 LPH: Is it actually physically possible? sm - I Miss the Old Webmedx

Posted: May 27, 2012

700 LPH: Is it actually physically possible?  Kudos to you if you are truly able to do that. But I sincerely do not believe it is at all common, at least not working for one of the big MTSOs. Maybe for a small MTSO with only 1 or 2 dictators.  I'd be bored out of my tree with that though, but the money would be much better.  LOL

My observations and questions on producing 500-700 LPH.

I did a little test a few weeks ago and listened to several of my previous reports that had great dictators with normals, the ones I get my best line counts on. Found that with speeding the dictation up as fast as it would go, I theoretically could hit 700 LPH, BUT THIS IS RE-READING A PREVIOUSLY EDITED REPORT, NOT ACTUALLY DOING ANY EDITING AND NOT TRANSCRIBING. Did not include time for uploading and downloading the jobs, changing screens to check demographics and/or searching for the correct patient, and double-checking to be sure doctor dictated the correct demographic information and patient matched the information he punched in. Did not include time for running spell check or re-listening to questionable areas. These were excellent dictators.

Example: For an 8 minute dictation, the fastest it would speed up to is just under 5 minutes of listening and skimming the report while the dictator sounded like he was talking jibberish. Again, these were reports I had already edited.

I have a really fast internet speed, so that is not a problem. Loads of ESL and acute care experience. So that is not a problem. My internal QA submissions typically run half a percent to 1% a pay period, occasionally 4%. That's right. And I do get the bonuses attaining over 99% accuracy. Rarely do I need to look up terms. Been doing acute care since early 1990s, cutting my teeth on major ESL-laden teaching hospitals. Only have to look up new medications and equipment and referring physicians, hospital transfers, etc.

So, what is going on here? How does one attain 700 LPH consistently throughout an 80 hour pay period and actually read each report and ensure patient safety? I'm truly baffled, amazed, and not trying to be sarcastic. Mind you, I saw the reports we used to get at WMX showing what everyone produced, and I don't recall any 700 LPH people in there doing acute care, or even 500 LPH for that matter. Must have missed those.

If you are doing radiology or clinic, I find 500-700 to be attainable based on clinic work I did years ago, lots of templated exams, etc., to plug in there.

Based on an 80 hour pay period:

500 LPH would be 40,000 lines per pay period.

700 LPH would be 56,000 lines per pay period.

Where is all the work coming from? Our backloads are quite often in the single digits these days.

Quesions for those producing 500-700 LPH.

1. Is this editing or straight transcription or combination of both?

2. What platform and speech recognition engine are you on?

3. Is this consistent over 80 hours (one pay period) or sporadic?

4. What work do you do? Radiology, acute care or clinic?
5. How many different dictators do you get in 8 hours?

6. Do you ever run out of work?

My observations of my work.

1. Combination of editing and straight, maybe 80-90% editing, heavy on ESL docs, students.

2. WMX enterprise and eScription speech.

3. Best I've done is 425 LPH getting same good dictator with some normals in each report, but once back to other doctors with their umms and ahhs, LPH goes down.

4. All acute care big 4, heavy on ESLs.

5. Maybe the same dictator for 1/10 of a days' reports, otherwise different dictators all day long.

6. I do run out of work occasionally.

So, at the end of the day, I am still mystified how one consistently edits 700 LPH for an entire pay period and is actually seeing all the edited words. Speed reading? Sounds a little risky when one must ensure correct medications and dosaging and diagnoses.  Maybe if I had the same 10 or so dictators with oodles of normals.  You must be blessed with lots of work available for you to do.

Are you working on a faster platform?

Are your lines counted differently than my lines are counted?

Are you glued to your chair for 8 hours straight with no potty break or stretching break? That is not healthy.

I've been told by both my optometrist and PMD that with computer work, I need to look away from the screen at least every 20 minutes and refocus my eyes. Also, my PMD says one should also get up at least every half hour and not just sit in a chair.

Something just does not jive here. Again, I could "listen" at 700 LPH, but transcribing/editing....no way, Jose!

Can you possibly work for one of the big two MTSOs and consistently produce 700 LPH?

Really, the days of big backlogs and getting the same dictator 3 times or more in a row are gone for me.  I may get one of my favorite doctors twice in a row, and then back to some ESL doctor I never transcribed before, having to check his report samples to deciper what the heck he is trying to say...sure eats up a lot of time. Not conducive to big line counts.

No desire to start a third career path at this stage of the game, having previously been in the legal field, but always looking to improve and work smarter.

Thanks for reading through all this. Would love to have some comments on how you do what you do so well.

No - Nuff said.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I hope throwing my shoe from below is reading this, - that person does 500-700 lph, sm

[ In Reply To ..]
according to their post. I agree though, it is impossible with the variables involved. But as I said, throwing my shoe has comments below on this subject (though not as in-depth as yours), might try reading that post for whatever useful information you might be able to gleen from it.

Um, no it's not possible - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Even with the BEST of dictators, like I have...

yes it is possible - speedyfingerz

[ In Reply To ..]
I have just started doing VR, having never done it before. I straight type 350-400 lines per hour and in the first month of doing VR I'm averaging 550-600 lines an hour. It all depends, IMO, on how good the speech rec engine is. I have to correct very little in the reports I do (all work types). I have a mix of ESL dictators and English speaking. This in my first month and I haven't even learned all the tricks yet, nor have I turned the dictate speed up to Mickey Mouse level.
No it is not. Are you the one saying you make - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
$7000 a month? You sure never did say where you work did ya? lol!!!
SM, why don't you ask HOW and work toward it? - Think what you would do with more money! NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I dont understand - throwing my shoe
[ In Reply To ..]
why it matters where someone works. I don't make $7k a month either (I make about 5k a month), but where we work (I did say where I worked) shouldn't make a difference in the veracity of our accomplishments, should it?

No, I don't work for a biggie because frankly, I wouldn't take the abuse but I am a successful (and happy) MT who tries to take advantage of all things available to me.
I'm not the one that makes $7000 a month. nm - speedyfingerz
[ In Reply To ..]
x

That was probably my post on the VR board. - I based that on the fact that

[ In Reply To ..]
about four or five years ago at Transcend on eScription after a few months experience in editing I occasionally tipped over 700 LPH. Low 700s was the top end of my range. On my primary account, SR did a very good job on the overall good dictators of an upper-tier medical center. Editing was new, and the hospital-eScription-MTSO triumvirate didn't put through any garbage. All dictators were trained to the system. Even brand new, it worked extremely well used that way.

Plus, there was insistence on dropping our polishing of the dictator's dictation into something our English teachers would approve. It wasn't verbatum, but what dictators put in was changed only to assure correct meaning and to correct for the basic verb-tense/gender/etc. stuff they all require these days at minimum. No adding "the"s that weren't dictated.

I forget what happened to the accounts I was on (although I remember vividly the line rates inevitably being slashed are more and more people got doubled and tripled their transcription line counts), but I haven't been assigned that combination of a good SR engine, lack of SR garbage being put through, and good (NOT fantastic) me since. To the contrary, there has been a push to put everyone on SR whether it can handle them or not, forget training them, and then require us to edit/transcribe all degrees of quality at the same half pay.

Others still occasionally mention topping 700, though, which is why I set that as the upper end of the estimated range. That and because I know from personal experience that it can be done. I also have very good reason to believe I would only have gotten significantly faster over time and hit it a lot more frequently. Expanders were significantly newer in those days, and I've developed mine much, much more now. Fellow Traveler

there is a post below on the main board, not the VR board - named throwing my shoe, nm

[ In Reply To ..]
My bad. Thanks. :) - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Threw my shoe - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I really can't address the OP because I can't see what they've written.

But it IS possible to do 500-700 lph with VR and yes a lot of good variables. I cover 4 different accounts for one company and they are not all easy. But we've made sure to fine-tune the sort cuts, if there's a particular dictator people have difficulty with, we all share that info so everyone can get thru them.

Also, doing that number of lines can be done, but I don't think it could be done for 8 straight hours.

Of course I'm going to be called a liar, etc but that's okay because I know what I'm able to accomplish and realize not every person could.

I really encourage anyone trying to up their VR lines to short-cut, short-cut, short-cut. I use Shorthand as my expander on 3 of my accounts so I'm able to personalize for each account. Use the keyboard short-cuts and don't use the mouse. It's amazing how much accumulated time is wasting reaching for the mouse.

Good luck!

Exactly 8 straight hours. That's what the defining factor is. - MTfast

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not interested in 700 LPH at all unless you do it 8 hours a day. Then I would say I do not believe it. I am approaching 400 LPH on difficult accounts, but do I do it 8 hours a day. No way! I am not a machine!
8 hours - threw my shoe
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't do 700 lph for 8 hours but I consisently do 500-600 for eight hours.

Again, there are so many variables that get stirred into the mix that you can't really equate one person's experience with that of another.

By the way, excellent post - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

In 35 years, the only time I ever made 700 lph was not with VR. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It was after VR had been instituted but a bariatric surgery group had over 20 normals (very long) for their surgeries with occasional addendums, always on a Monday. I was in heaven!

With VR at MQ I never got above 350-400 lph and that was on a very good day.

700 lph - not me

[ In Reply To ..]
I got 400 lph when we first started with the VR, but then when it was supposed to have "learned" after about 2 weeks I was down to about 250 lph and I did not change a thing on how I did the reports. It will never "learn" and it will only get worse.

Similar Messages:

Literally Physically Sick Of This
Jul 30, 2013

These are the last 3 days of my notice. I thought I would be elated. Instead, I had a really really bad day (again). I have always done well, been in the business forever. I learned to hang on here a year, rarely if ever paid mind to the nasty e mails because I kept my nose to the grindstone. I managed to get bonus almost every payperiod the last several months, and last time got the big bonus.   All of a sudden out of nowhere about 3 weeks ago I suddenly sucked so bad as an MT it seems I ...

Is Your Hearing So Fine Tuned That You Can Visualize What These Dictators Are Physically Doing?
Nov 18, 2014

There's this one dude who chews gum as he dictates the patient demographics. It's not super annoying and I can hear that part all fine.  Then, as he dictates the body of the report, he bites down on the gum and talks with only his lips and tongue while keeping his teeth clenched on the gum.  And he talks fast while he does it.  I know he does this because I reproduced it myself, as I'm a constant gum chewer, but I cheek my gum when I talk, not clench it in my teeth ...