A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Redpen, What Is A "Crosswalk"? - Interested

Posted: May 18, 2010

I keep running into that term. What does it mean? Thanks in advance.

A crosswalk is . . . - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
A crosswalk is reference that lists one type of code and tells you what the corresponding code for another type of code.

For instance, you might be coding ambulatory surgeries using the CPT code set, but maybe you need to know what the ICD-9 procedure code is. You can go to a list of CPT codes that have their corresponding ICD-9 codes listed.

You might want to know which anesthesia code goes with a particular type of procedure. You can look up the procedure and the crosswalk will tell you all the anesthesia codes that might go with that procedure.

This sounds like a better deal than it usually is. You still have to think it through and decide if it's correct or not. :)

Thanks! Makes sense - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

To REDPEN
May 08, 2010

I know the Andrews School has a website with the syllabus, but could you post HERE how we do learn through the Andrews school.....basically what would the first few weeks be like for a complete newbie to Coding who knows nothing about it? Thanks! ...

Question For Redpen
Sep 30, 2010

Question for Redpen: Is coding for a VA hospital different than a regular hospital.  Is documentation improvement a priority more so there?  Are doctors educated to document better there?  What would you say is difference between working in a regular medical hospital vs a VA hospital?  ...

To Linda Andrews And Redpen
Jul 03, 2010

Just wondering if you have seen the new Journal of AMIMA and noticed how much of its content was dedicated to Computer Assisted Coding and changing roles of coders?  I found it pretty interesting since I had just been talking the advent of such a short time ago!  Our company's new owner is all about advancing technologies and say he won't go into ICD10 without CAC on board.   ...

Question For Coders Out There And Redpen Please
Oct 27, 2010

We are being QA'ed into oblivion at our facility.  We have our RAC audits, our internal QA, and an outside agency that does QA audits on each coder.  We are constantly in a QA cycle for someone, and it is getting to be so tiring.  Each reviewer sees things a little differently so one thing may be correct for our internal QA but an error for our external.  Can't win.  Anyway, I am currently doing outpatient coding.  Our facility uses EpicCare for clinical d ...

Redpen And Fellow Coders, Infusion?
Jun 24, 2010

What is your opinion on the ICD-9 Procedure code for an infusion of Remicade for rheumatoid arthritis or Crohn's disease?  Since this is considered a high-risk drug, the CPT codes are in the antineoplastic category.  But matching up a ICD-9 is not clear.  Since Remicade is a biologic response modifier you can go down that path.  It is also a monoclonal antibody, so you can go down that path.  So far I have come up with 99.28, 99.25, 00.18, and the usual 99.29.  ...