A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question re processing charge tickets and encounter lists - MaggieMT

Posted: May 16, 2012

Could someone explain to me the job description of "Process clinic, hospital and lab charge tickets upon completion by providers prior to forwarding to department coder" and "work outstanding encounter list and notify coding/billing staff of open encounters so a new charge ticket can be generated."   This job is in a large teaching hospital.  What needs to be done to charge tickets before going to the coder?  What is an outstanding encounter list?  Thanks.

charge - tickets

[ In Reply To ..]
Are the documents generated when a patient presents for care. For example, the patient goes to the lab to get blood drawn. Maybe the code for the particular test was already printed out the night before, or was printed upon the patient's arrival. Maybe it is handwritten. But the lab tech (provider) verifies the information on the charge ticket and initials or writes what test was sent off (documents performing the service) and any other services s/he provided. The patient then goes to check out. The person who checks him/her out verifies the information on the charge ticket, maybe collects any outstanding copay, makes sure the computer is set up with correct information to bill either the patient or insurance company, and where to send statements to the patient. Then the the charge ticket is routed out for the coder. It may be that the coder actually enters the final codes and fees into the computer.

It goes like that. The provider has to document what service was done. Someone has to handle the charge ticket in some way and then the coder handles it after that.

Outstanding list encounter. Patient no shows, cancelled tests, aborted tests, etc., that have to be accounted for in lieu of revenue producing charge tickets. You start your day expecting x number of patients, add on y number of patients during the day, and you have to end up with z number of charge tickets. You must account for all scheduled services.

Take that job - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Open encounters would be those that were still . . . open . . . for some reason. Perhaps the patient was seen, but something is missing on the form. The provider might not have completed all the information or there might be no form at all. You might need to generate a new one to get it completed.

Processing encounters might include verifying that there was an encounter form for every scheduled service, that it is complete, and that the provider's documentation is in the record and signed so that the coder has everything they need. The encounter would remain outstanding until it has been completed and coded. You also might be assigning the work to the coders.

This process varies from facility to facility. Regardless of what it is, it is a good job. If you are studying coding or are a recent graduate, you should make every effort to get hired for this. This type of job is great stepping-stone into coding. You will learn a lot about the process of coding and billing that is not taught in schools. Once you are ready to apply for an actual coding job, this might be seen as partial experience. This facility might let you do some of the easier coding and eventually promote you into coding. Other facilities would recognize that you did have some background and skills.

Similar Messages:

Why Are Most Of My Jobs The Wrong Encounter?
Jun 14, 2015

I almost feel like I'm being set up for a critical error. 90% of the jobs are coming in with a prior encounter entered already. I find it hard to believe that, suddenly, the doctors are all entering the billing numbers when they normally enter just the MR number and I have to find the rest of the ADT. ...

ACE Word Processing?
Sep 10, 2010

Anyone have knowledge of ACE Word Processing (AZ phone # but says emailing from Oregon)?  Emails signed as "Robert Elizalde" or "Elizabeth Elizalde."  ...

Fluency System Processing
Jan 09, 2013

It is really odd for my account to have no jobs in the morning, but the number that sit in system processing keeps growing. In fact, most of the accounts in my BOB have jobs in system processing and very few in transcription. Are these jobs that are coming to us, but are maybe stuck in the system? In Cornerstone I could see when there was a work flow issue with jobs that were stuck because something wasn't running properly but I don't understand DQS as well yet. ...

NJA Tickets
Dec 14, 2009

I used to get a ticket # generated and emailed to me when I had NJA.  I haven't gotten any sent to me lately.  Did they stop emailing us the ticket # and only give them to the CCM now?  I've forwarded my NJA support email to my CCM, but no response coming there either.  I don't see the excused missed time logged anywhere on Schedule Source either.  Did I miss an email about this procedure and how it's logged?  I'm a bit confused. ...

Obviously No One At Remedy Actually Does Anything With The NJA Tickets.
Sep 30, 2012

Obviously, even though the classification is urgent, they just pass NJA tickets through and don't even try to find any work when requested. Since no one, i.e. a CCM or RTL, covers second and third shift, these shifts have no chance of getting more work - even though I can see there is a large amount of days' late jobs in an account I have done before (as a 'helper') and I put that information on the NJA ticket and stated that I wanted work. NJA Remedy tickets are a usel ...

Let's All Bombard QCare With Tickets To FIX 6.1.....
Sep 08, 2010

Anyone think it would do any good? ...

Why Should We Fill Out No Work Tickets Now?
Aug 15, 2013

Perusing the latest TSM diatribe too many work tickets means we need to change our schedule to one more fitting the needs of the accounts. Also if we fill out a work ticket we are not allowed to finish our current shift, we are done for the day. If we choose to make up those hours it has to be from a list of available shifts. So for the 50 cents or so I would get from filling out a work ticket why would I purposefully put a target on my back regarding schedule changes, end my shift prematurely ...

Remedy Tickets On The Weekends
Feb 06, 2014

I work every weekend, and since Christmas there has been little to no work on the weekends.  I tried to do remedy tickets, but the date automatically advances to the upcoiming Monday date, and if I type the date in manually, it gives me an error... and then shows a calendar to chose a date, but all the weekend days are grayed out.  I asked my supervisor about this since I am eligible in my state to get compensated for at least 1 hour of pay, and she tells me you CAN do this, but that w ...

Is There A Chart Somewhere That Lists
Nov 13, 2009

what all the different medical coder levels are? CCS, CCA, CPC, etc. What they are, how to get each one, where they can work, how much they make. Any info appreciated as it is very confusing. ...

Get Those Remedy Tickets In So We Can Get Paid For This Downtime
Nov 26, 2012

the last time they tried to say it was my internet connection and cheat me in downtime but they lost and I won! ...

Defeat Rising Airfare With One-way Tickets
Sep 11, 2013

Business and personal air travel is up, in spite of increased costs. By shopping around and not being a slave to package deals, a frugal tourist can save big. Meanwhile, airlines say they are forced to keep costs high because of federal demands. In reply, they are taking a "too big to fail" attitude with Congress. Article resource: shouldn't you will look into each of our https://personalmoneynetwork.com/? Increasing air fare costs It comes as no surprises that Airfares are increasing ag ...

HEADING LISTS IN DOCQSCRIBE 6.1
Apr 06, 2011

We have just updated to Docqscribe 6.1 at our facility. Does anyone know if you can use the heading list function just for straight typing as we do not ASR.     ...

I See TL Now Lists Herself As 2nd Shift Supervisor. Sm
Oct 16, 2014

I have not seen or heard from JH for awhile - hope she did not leave but she might have been too nice to stay. Of course, no announcement will be made. Why should we know who our leads are, what the TAT is on the accounts, or anything else. We just types. ...

Supervisor Hardly Ever Sends Patient Lists
Jan 31, 2012

My supervisor assigns me work, but 5 times out of 10, she never sends me the patient list, which I can't start without. I call or e-mail her, but sometimes she's not available when I call, and sometimes she doesn't answer my e-mail until 3, 4, 5, or more hours later. This wastes my time and does not allow me to work the times I need to. Any suggestions about what to do? ...

New Grad Lists 40 Cpl On Resume Bank?
Feb 16, 2012

I just saw a listing in the resume bank for a new grad wanting 40 cpl. Wow. I want that too, and I have 15 years of experience and my own accounts... ...

Is There Any Site That Lists Generic Vs Brand Name Drugs?
Nov 07, 2009

nm ...

Unofficial Poll - Escription Numbered Lists
Apr 24, 2014

I am just curious. About what percentage of lists that appear in your reports numbered, as in past medical history or medications, comes out correctly? I am guessing that with medications specifically, which I think it does a horrid job at, about 2 or 3 times a day out of about 20 reports, the list will come out correctly. The majority however is completely messed up, double numbers, wrong medications, etc. I can't believe what a piece of work voice wRECk is?! When I see the advert ...

Drug S/l A-tid-o-lac 300 Mg Daily. Review Of Systems Only Lists Anxiety.
Nov 17, 2009

x ...

What To Charge
Feb 27, 2010

What would you charge someone to listen to a file to help fill in blanks?  It is not an everyday thing and only a few files every once in a while.  This person wants to pay me for this and I have no idea what to charge. ...

How Do You Charge?
Mar 08, 2011

I am an independent subcontractor with one large account.  The hospital is switching to VR and I have been able to keep the account, but I have no idea what to charge, how to charge, or where to find info about this.  This is all happening over the next few weeks so I need to come up with a plan.  I currently charge a flat rate per line, and have not increased my fee in many years.  However, if I do editing work, do I charge per report?  I don't have a clue.  H ...

How To Charge?
Mar 09, 2011

As an independent subcontractor, how do I charge for editing as opposed to transcribing?  I currently charge a flat rate per line for transcription, but with my hospital switching to VR over the next few months I will be doing some editing as well.  I have no idea what to charge, how to charge, etc.  Any help appreciated! ...

How Much Should I Charge?
Dec 06, 2012

Hello!  I am a fairly new MT (2 years experience) and I am currently doing IC work.  I have been approached by a physician (that I used to work for as a medical assistant) to do her transcription for her as she has gone out on her own and has a private practice now.  It is a family practice, so pretty basic office visit notes.  My question is what should I charge her per line?  OR should I charge per report, per page, or what?  I'm not sure yet that her EM ...

EMR - How Much To Charge?
Feb 13, 2013

One of my groups is switching to EPIC and is requesting I prepopulate the return patient information into the system to generate individualized templates before their next clinic visit. No way to charge by the line. Anyone have any idea what the going rate range should be for this type of work? ...

What To Charge???
Apr 02, 2013

I have been asked to transcribe written reports....type the written reports.  I have never done this before....what is charged for this type of transcription?  I have only charged for transcribing dictated reports.   PLEASE HELP! ...

Help! What Should I Charge?
May 14, 2013

I have an opportunity to work with a local, successful Midwestern 6-physician ENT practice.  They want to know what I charge per line.  I'm currently with a larger MTSO and have been for years.  Back in the good old days I could charge my own clients by the gross line, 15, 17, 18 cents.  But those days are gone.  I don't want to lose the ENT group to an MTSO or other middleman. What is a fair rate for transcription (with no delivery or printing) these days?&nb ...

Help!! What To Charge
Feb 19, 2014

My husband's doctor called wanting me to do some transcription for them.  I am not sure what to charge.  She is ESL and can be difficult as I have gotten some of her work through the hospital account.  These would be clinical notes, straight typing.   She has put them on tapes.  Of course, needs them sometie in March -- over 100 of them.  Also I have Word 2007 and 2010 -  do they have a line count feature.  It has been a very, very long time ...

So Just Who Is In Charge Of OT - BR Or PK? Can Tell BR
May 01, 2015

is back with the MOT.  Makes you wonder why that wasn't so important while she was away. Mmmm - power/control trip!?! ...

IMEs - How Much To Charge
Sep 16, 2012

Hi!  Can anyone give me an idea on how much to charge to doctors for transcribing IMEs?  Also, going rate if working for service transcribing IMEs.  Thanks.   ...

Keystroke Charge
Feb 05, 2013

Has anyone heard of charging for using the shift key as a keystroke, meaning if you capitalize something, you basically get 2 characters instead of 1? ...

Unbelieable Charge
Mar 01, 2013

Just thought I would share this.  Back in September, I had to go to an Urgent Care Center for a nosebleed.  It just wouldn't stop.  I finally received the doctor's bill in February. Luckily my insurance paid almost all of it.  But there was a $10 charge for "Services provided between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m."  I just couldn't believe that.  I wonder sometimes how people get away with things. ...