A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Eye Opener - Old dog learning new tricks.

Posted: Jun 11, 2011

Been wanting to do coding for years.  I have been an acute care transcriptionist for 20 years, and thought this would be a good background for coding, an easy switch for me.  I have taken coding classes here and there over the years, and am now enrolled in AHIMA's Coding Basics.  I got an interview last week and took a screening test.  Piece of cake.  Fifteen questions, very simple.  Went back yesterday to take another test.  I had to code four charts.  Holy Cow!  It took me 3 hours and it was really, really hard.  The doctor's handwriting was horrible.  I had no reference books to use, so I was not at all sure about the significance of some of the lab values and certainly don't have this stuff memorized. 

So in other words, coding is not for the faint of heart.  I have a good feeling about the job though because they have been looking for someone since September.  I think I might have a chance, but I honestly was a little unnerved after this eye opener into the real life of a coder.  My transcription friends and I always complained that the coders were paid more than us.  Now I see why.  We always thought their jobs depended on us because they needed our reports before they could code the chart.  Well, this is just a tiny part of what they need to do their jobs.  If you are considering coding, brace yourself.  It is not going to be easy no matter what your background.  At first I thought that a lot of the classes I had to take were just "filler".  Now I will take all the information that is available to help me understand this job. 

I am not trying to discourage anyone.  Just be aware that you will definitely earn your pay if you take on this job.  I love doing coding and hope that some day I will look back and laugh when I see how far I have come. 

How long? - Old dog

[ In Reply To ..]
Does anyone know approximately how long it should take to code an average complexity, 2-3 day stay, chart? Does anyone know if there is a minimum quota that hospitals usually require of their coders?

charts per hour - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
our inpatient coders have a productivity requirement of 3-4 charts per hour. They do get exceptions for long stays and high-dollar charts, which are reported separately. Our sister hospital does it differently; their productivity requirements are based purely on LOS. I don't know their standard, though. Hope that helps a little bit.

charts per hour - Old dog

[ In Reply To ..]
CJ, thanks for your reply. Wow!! 3-4 charts per hour. How long do you have to get up to speed. I bet it takes years to be that fast.
It's not that fast - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Most inpatient charts are only 2-3 day stays. There isn't much to them. You should get up to speed in a few months, but if you can't do it or don't like it there is always outpatient coding. It requires less reading and less putting things together.

Eye opener - jan2

[ In Reply To ..]
How do I get started in the learning process of coding? I read somewhere that knowing ICD-9 is not necessary and that actually it may be better to not know that and just start with the upcoming ICD-10. I would appreciate anything that would get me started in this process. Thank you.

Similar Messages:

Wow, An Eye Opener.
May 04, 2014

Always wondered how those MTs got bazillions of lines with ASR. Have been getting accounts from all over the place  tonight.  On one of them the dictators use standards for nearly everything.  Wish I could work there all the time. ...

Tested And Got An Eye Opener
Dec 04, 2012

I tested last week and got such bad dictation I could not believe it. I tried to transcribe it as if I was getting paid the usual 8 CPL and realized it would take more time to complete it and I would be making zero money. Sloppy H&P with a heavy accent, whispering AND loud background noise; a coronary catheterization dictation that I commend an MT on even completing that I was supposed to edit. I sent the test back anyway and got an email saying I didn't pass the minimum, whatever tha ...

A Huge Eye Opener
Dec 08, 2013

I had a HUGE eye opener yesterday.  We are not the only ones who are being replaced by software, it is happening in every single industry - I read a big article yesterday announcing this "really cool" (the article's opinion, not mine) new way to place an order at Chili's - on an iPad type tablet that is brought to your table when you are seated - point and click.  Then your order goes directly to the kitchen electronically and your dinner is brought to you by a staff member w ...

Eye Opener.....okay So I Was Thinking, I Could Either Continue To Work At MQ Or
Jul 21, 2011

or go get another job out of MT completely (not convinced any other company is much better).....I was thinking, well, what else am I qualified for?  I guess I could waitress (never done before though), but Ihop has an ad for a waitress, waitress exp. not nec.  I thought, argh, what can they possibly make, prob just minimum wage and lots of work and would I even be up to it?  Come to find out that waitresses at Ihop around here (California) make minimum wage (8/hr) plus tips.  ...