A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

coworkers - kb

Posted: Mar 28, 2010

Can anyone answer my question? I was with Focus for 3 months. I had never worked for a company before. They seemed horrified when I asked to have a coworkers e-mail just to chat. Does every company scoff at the fact that you could talk to coworkers?

Do they not want you to be in touch with others?Frown

Focus - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
There might have been an issue with releasing someone's e-mail address, they may not be authorized to do that. I understand why you wanted to communicate with a co-worker, though. I've never worked for a company before either and just tested with Focus, waiting to find out how I did. You were there 3 months but not any more? What happened?

focus - kb

[ In Reply To ..]
It is a sorrid story.

I was out of work for a long time and then tested with them and they said they would give me radiology which I have 10 years experience in. So when I started it was everything BUT radiology.

Nothing seemed to be going right for me with that company. The lead seemed really snotty and had no idea what the recruiter was telling me about radiology. She kept telling me there would be radiology and it never came.

Plus I was being QAed to death! I have 20 years experience in transcription, various types, and everything I did seemed to be wrong. I even could not email them and be nice. I just had a hard time with that company. So after making my third patient safety error I was let go and believe me it was a relief.

Focus - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for sharing and that is good to know. I tested for acute care and rad, we probably have similar backgrounds. I'm sure something better is waiting for you!
Focus - additional note - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I just wanted to add that I got a chuckle out of the introductory page on their test, it said something like "read the instructions first to avoid making erroneous errors," lol!
Do not laugh - that is because it was written by - Indians
[ In Reply To ..]
... not American indians, either.

Focus is Indian owned.

coworkers - isolated

[ In Reply To ..]
I was at focus briefly...couldn't make any money and I was dying to speak to someone doing the same job as myself to get some insight and maybe some hope. I had no contact with others as well and it was very isolating. I've worked for other large companies from home and I at least had co workers to bounce things off of. No longer there..very disappointed, thought it had potential..

it makes me feel much better. It makes - kb

[ In Reply To ..]
me feel like I am not the one that is Crazy :)Thanks

Not just Focus ALL MTSOs are this way - Rude, snotty and do not care about you

[ In Reply To ..]
If you really like doing transcription work, I would suggest either working inhouse or getting your own clients and being an independent contractor. These large MTSOs (medical transcription service owner or medical transcription service organization) are ALL very cold and cut throat. They are out for the mightly buck and will trample anyone who gets in their way. They do this by unscrupulous methods and that is why they do not want you communicating with each other. They depend on anonymity to continue their shoddy business practices.

Since you are new in this field, I will give you the best advice you will ever get - GET AWAY NOW!! These MTSOs are ALL going away - the best thing you can do for yourself and your career is to get with a local hospital, or find your own local doctors and CUT OUT THE MIDDLE MAN.

Good luck to both of you. I am not trying to be discouraging, I am giving you a realistic picture of the MTSO world. A quick glance at the headlines down this page will tell you that any of us working for MTSOs are getting screwed!!

Overgeneralizing much? - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
I can see you are angry and probably justifiably so, but to say that all MTSOs are the same is a bit over the top. At the small MTSO where I work, the people that run it are kind, fair, and leave me alone to do my work. They are considerate of their employees and it is a great place to work. People tend to complain a lot on this board so it slants things towards the negative.

Sorry! I Meant the LARGE MTSOs - Sorry for the misunderstanding

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked for some very wonderful and kind small MTSOs - I was referring to the giants. I apologize if I misled anyone.
I understand what you mean - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
There do tend to be more problems the larger the MTSO is because they seem more inclined to view their MTs as disposable. Before this job I worked for Spheris, and though the supervisors I had were not bad at all, the company itself definitely didn't have the welfare of its MTs at the top of the list. I just didn't want any newbies here to get the impression that all MTSO's are bad and greedy, because not all of them are. I work for a great company and I know there are others out there.
About Focus... - jm0405
[ In Reply To ..]
When I worked there from 2004 to December 2009, the Indian team leaders did not want MTs communicate. I always that was to prevent mutiny. LOL!

When Nuance took over, QA went nuts...I was QA actually and those co-worker witches hated me. I wouldn't take off petty points - I would send a quick note to all MTs after taking a tally of common problems and tell them to fix it. I refuse to take off points for someone using a comma instead of a semi. The MTs liked me....but management hated me and the suck-up QA bimbos despised me. What really irked me was when I left, I found out later that one of the nagging QA witches had only been an MT 45 days and was promoted to QA...HELLO!!! Most companies require QA to be MTs for at least 5 years bare minimum! These people are uneducated, inexperienced, "grading your papers", so I hope this sheds light on QA'd to death...I'll bet you are....and I'll also bet if you use better English than the moron taking off points, they get quite testy and you get the nasty-grams in email. They try to find crap in your reports to justify how they became your boss so to speak. Really make them mad and correct their errors. After Nuance took over, when they ran out of work and offered to lay off people, I volunteered - TAKE ME, TAKE ME!! LOL!
thanks - tlj
[ In Reply To ..]
I want to thank all of you for your postings! I used to think I was an awesome MT and after working for some of these companies I have been picked to death. I am glad to know I am not the only one out there with this problem. When I went to college to be a MT I got excellent grades and made the Dean's list and now after all my experience I am suddenly told I am doing everything wrong. Thank you for posting your comments so I know I'm not the only one they are doing this to. I would love to know what smaller companies are looking for help so I could apply to someone who appreciates my work.

Similar Messages:

One Of My Coworkers This Morning Said...
Sep 19, 2014

"I feel kinda a bad for the girl at the outside service, we haven't sent her much work this week." This was from the lead who makes the decision on how much work to send out and how much we can handle in house.  Now try and convince me I have job security... ...

Please Be Mindful Of The Tragedies Of Our Coworkers From NC. Sm
Apr 19, 2011

While we are being so wrapped up in our frustrations with MQ, I myself included, where is the compassion and empathy for those of our coworkers and others who have been totally devastated in NC on Saturday, April 16.  I am a resident of that state, but I have numerous family members and dear friends who were victim to these 64 tornadoes.  Also our other states of Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Virginia and Alabama.  The old MQ would have sent out letters and notes of sympathy and enc ...

How Do I List Professional References On A Job App If I Don't Know My Coworkers?
Sep 04, 2012

I have worked at home for 15+ years and other than occasional email exchanges between me and a supervisor I have no contact with other people at my company or even on my account.  I was filling out a job application the other day and it wanted three professional references other than the supervisors.  I was completely lost and had to leave it blank.  Has anyone else run into this, and how do you handle it? ...