Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Who has Canadian accounts now?.. (Views: 71)

I retired at 62 - what I did

Posted: Aug 11th, 2017 - 5:20 am In Reply to: Older MTs, who's taken SS early to get out of MT? - One foot out

MT finally wore me out 3 years ago, at age 62. One day I just collapsed and realized I couldn't type another stupid word. My hearing had also been seriously affected, especially after cell phone dictation became common. After 24 years of MT (most of them highly profitable), I thoroughly cleaned my office, vacuumed the carpet, and closed the freaking door. Yeah, I know how lucky I am...probably everyone would like the luxury of doing the same. I DO understand.

By the way, I'm single. I got all my numbers together and presented them to my accountant, and the consensus was that it was JUST BARELY possible for me to take early retirement if I continued to work in order to maintain insurance. It was worth it to me to start collecting, even though it would be less than if I had waited. This is an individual choice based on many factors, not the least of which is anticipated longevity.

Obviously, I wish I had planned better, but I have no regrets. Every day I'm surprised to see more gray hairs!

The only real "security" I can see for my future is pooling my resources with another, like getting a roommate (ick), getting married (nobody in mind yet, but still...), or inheriting (not impossible but probably unlikely).

Oh...my current employer has just announced its intention to sell out and will be laying off people in the coming months. I fully expect to be let go very soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)