Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Wanting new answers - for an old question

Posted: Jul 18th, 2017 - 11:09 pm

I know that the IC vs. employee thing has been beaten to death many times over so please don't bash me for bringing up a slightly different scenario. 

What if an MTSO gave you a choice and you could pick either status?  Given the recent cyberattack, the employees at least got paid minimum wage while the ICs got nothing.  What if the requirement for both would be a set amount of dictation minutes rather than lines per day? Everything else being standard requirements for employee (set hours, paid PTO and sick time, maybe insurance/comp/401k benefits, likely tax refund, possible paid downtime) and IC (no set hours, no paid PTO or sick time, no benefits, no paid downtime, responsible for taxes, can deduct expenses), and the condition for both would be doing a certain amount of dictation minutes per day, which would you pick? Is doing a certain amount of minutes per day the same thing as hiring someone to fix your roof or trim your trees and finish the job by the end of the day?

I know everyone has a different life situation and a personal preference, but most of the time there is no choice; a company either hires you as an employee or contracts with you as an IC.  Some accountants have said there are more tax advantages for having IC status but that doesn't help much when you get sick or can't work because of a global malware disaster.  Given a choice, what would be your choice and why?

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)