Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

I'll tell you what I did, and it worked. - Mary

Posted: Sep 27th, 2016 - 3:58 pm In Reply to: I don't even know - what other options I have

Years ago, my at-home transcription career had died its slow, painful death, and I knew it was time to get out of the house. I had become a recluse, socially phobic, afraid to look in the mirror, mostly living in nightgowns, unable to carry on a conversation with another adult (only had cat, dog, and quiet husband to talk with), and afraid of the world.

Well, I decided I was worth more than what I was getting, and that my husband, grown kids, and I deserved better. I started getting up first thing in the morning, taking a shower, fixing my hair and makeup, and getting dressed. I went to the thrift shop and bought myself the nicest looking couple of outfits I could find in my size (which wasn't easy) and a pair of decent, respectable shoes. I think I spent about $10, which on an MT's pittance, was a lot of money (and still is). I took the clothes home and laundered and ironed them and hung them up where I could see them. (I know these details sound ridiculous, but every single step helped me feel better about myself and to feel in control of my own life. Just bear with me.)

I made an appointment to see my PCP and told her what I was doing and that I needed some help. She could tell I was suffering from situational depression, and she put me on a low dose of antidepressants. Within a few hours of taking the first dose, and I'm not exaggerating, I felt like the sun had come out from behind the clouds.

Then, I sat down and worked on my resume. I made it clean, brief, to the point, and easily one-minute-scannable (made-up word, sorry). That means a recruiter could scan my resume in less than a minute and make get an impression.

Next morning, I got up early, showered, did my hair and makeup (even cuter this time because I had been practicing), dressed in my second-to-best-new-from-the-thrift-shop outfit, and drove into the city to the temp agency. I got out of the car, took a deep breath, set my posture straight up confident, lifted my chin, and walked right in the front door with a smile. The receptionist greeted me, and I explained to her that I was a medical transcriptionist looking for a position in the clerical segment, and I handed her my resume. She said she would pass it on and thanked me. (Oh, make sure your name, address, and phone number are at the top!) I left there and for the rest of the day, just enjoyed myself. I bought myself a cheap lunch and ate outdoors in the sun, vacuumed out my car, stopped by the library and picked up a couple of books about life coaching, self-help confidence building, and a couple of mystery novels, and loaded them in the car. Then I went to the park for an incredibly pleasant walk. (We have been like mushrooms kept in basements and fed so much sh*t as MTs, and we rarely ever see the sun, like a bunch of vampires!) Just being out in the fresh air and feeling free in America, it lifted my depression even more so than my new antidepressant did! And all the dogs and babies you get to see in a park, woohoo!!!

Alright, a couple of days later I called the employment agency and asked if anyone might have had time to review my resume. I said, "I know you all are so busy, but I was just getting to run out and thought I would give you a call." Lo and behold, I was asked to come in for an interview. Heart attack time!

Well, that morning, I once again got up, showered/hair/makeup (expert by this time after all that practice!), and dressed in my nicer thrift store outfit, no cologne or perfume, polished my shoes, stood in the mirror and told myself "You got this!" and drove to town for the interview. (Oh, I forgot to mention, I actually stood in front of the TV and watched a couple of local news shows and repeated every word the newscasters said in an effort to accustom myself to speaking clearly and confidently to another human being. Fortunately, hubby wasn't home to witness this. And, as a medical transcriptionist, it is easy for us to mimic what someone else is saying. It can be a neat party trick to freak other people out!)

I went in for the interview, confident but not cocky, sat down, and had a really wonderful experience talking to another adult human being. (I had to take a drug test, which was laughable.) Well, believe it or not, I was sent on an assignment the next day to fill in for an on-site MT in a small office for a group of three doctors. I did a good enough job and got lucky and was offered a permanent, full-time position, with full benefits, reasonable pay, etc., and that was five years ago. Best job I have ever had!

I love my co-workers. I love getting a paycheck that is the exact same amount every two weeks. I don't get short-changed if there weren't enough sick or injured people admitted that week, there were NJA, or "it was a holiday," or "it was a full moon," or "we don't pay for spaces, headers, footers, or anything else," or any of the other millions of excuses MTSOs give us to not pay us.

I learned new things. I had to suck it up and learn all kinds of new electronics and terminology and medications, but I didn't let myself be intimidated.

I actually only had to transcribe for one year, and then we went to electronic records, and I transitioned to just editing and faxing out the notes. During that time, whenever I was caught up with my work, I asked to learn other tasks so I could help pitch in with the other clerical aspects of the practice. I made myself useful so my co-workers could count on me and so I would not become obsolete. And, I could not be happier.

I will tell you, it was not easy. It took quite a while for me to build up my thrift shop wardrobe. I still drive an old car, but I don't worry about bumping into things since that just adds to its antique patina. I don't make as much as I did during the years I was a QA Editor. On the other hand, I don't work myself nearly to death either. And I am serious about that; I overworked one winter with a sinus infection for 6 weeks, and I got so sick and run down, it triggered the lupus that was just lying in wait in my DNA. But that's a story best left for another day.

After being through home-based MT hell all those years, I feel free. I don't complain about coming to work. On more complicated days, I say "job security!" I appreciate every day at work. I don't grumble about Mondays. I have been through worse than that, right?

What I am trying to say is this: Every single one of you ladies is worth so much more than any MTSO could ever appreciate. You are smart and talented and wise. You matter. You are the only one in control of your own destiny, and you can drive this bus.

Tell everyone you know in your community that you are looking for a better job and that you are ready for your "second career." Be as upbeat and confident yet practical as you can. (If we come across as emotional, downtrodden, and worn out, people can tell that's how we feel.) You are your own best advocate, and you are not alone.

All over the country, there are thousands of your fellow MTs in the same boat, but you can fight your wake back to the surface and take a gulp of fresh breath and sunshine. You can do this! And good luck. (If anyone ever, ever, ever wants to write to me with questions, advice, etc., I'm here.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)