A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

use of mmHg - ddd

Posted: Jul 22, 2010

Just a general question about usage of an archiac term.  I don't believed that Mercury can be used or is used, so why is the term mm of mercury still in use?  Wouldn't it just be mm of pressure? 

mmHg -- see message - elaine

[ In Reply To ..]
It's actually not an archaic term, but simply the unit used to measure pressure.

Each point of blood pressure is equal to the amount of pressure it takes to make a column of mercury in a tube rise 1 mm.

You can't say milllimeters of pressure, because a millimeter is a measure of distance. When you discuss how much force is required to move 1 mm of mercury, then you have a means of measuring pressure: mmHg.

It has to do with gravity and the density of mercury, and all of this was figured out a long time ago by much better brains than mine!

Even in devices that don't actually use mercury, the device is calibrated to this standard of measure.

Hope that helps!

Thank you Elaine, even though... - ddd

[ In Reply To ..]
I work at surgery center and many doctors are now stating mm of pressure rather than mm of Mercury, yet others still use mm of Mercury, so I guess I am still "confused" and will just type what they say.

: ) that's interesting, ddd - elaine

[ In Reply To ..]
I've never heard mm of pressure, but no doubt I will hear it soon! Everything is evolving! I think you're wise to type it as you hear it. Thanks for sharing your interesting experience!

Similar Messages:

Pneumoperitoneum In Abdomen To 15 MmHg Or 50 MmHg?
Nov 11, 2009

I'm not sure if they are saying 15 or 50 mmHg inflation, is it usually one or the other or could it be either? THANK YOU SO MUCH!  :) ...

How Do You Correctly Transcribe MmHg?
Mar 17, 2010

When transcribing mm of mercury is it mm/Hg or mmHg? Thanks ...

Echo - S/l Peak To Mean Systolic Variant 12/8 MmHg
Jan 05, 2011

In the measurements section - s/l peak to mean systolic variant 12/8 mmHg ...

Word Help With "thigh Tourniquet S/l Incligged To 300 MmHg..."
Nov 20, 2009

Report is for an open reduction-internal fixation of left ankle. Th e word I can't figure out is in this sentence: "The thigh tourniquet s/l incligged to 300 mmHg was used during the procedure."  any ideas... inflated, elevated, applied would work, but definitely does not sound anything like INCLIGGED...this is driving me insane... ...