A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

pleural parenchymal... - vn

Posted: Dec 24, 2013

common term related to chest x-ray, but have been seeing it done differently lately - is it "pleuroparenchymal," "pleural parenchymal," or "pleural and parenchymal"

when documentation is uncertain, always use a reliable source - basics 101

[ In Reply To ..]
such as a medical dictionary.

I found no reference to pleuroparenchymal in Stedman's medical dictionary.

I would personally only use pleural parenchymal, unless otherwise dictated by the physician involved in the report I'm listening to at the moment.

pleural parenchymal - vn

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow - I should use a medical dictionary - I never considered that! I've been doing this for over 25 years - and I, too, have a dictionary. I was simply trying to get some feedback on the subject because I had seen it done differently recently. As to going with what the dictator says at the time, do you really think they are specific in terms of how they want the term spelled as they are dictating as they slur through it - if so, none of us would ever need any advice/input.

I use pleuroparenchymal and it IS in Stedman's - Radiology Words

[ In Reply To ..]
so there.

thank you! sm - vn

[ In Reply To ..]
I have an outdated Stedman's - pleuroparenchymal is not listed in my edition - that's why this feedback is so helpful. Guess it's time to break down and get a newer version! Thanks again.
the history of Stedman word books - basics 101
[ In Reply To ..]
There was a programmer who helped to develop Dragon Naturally Speaking and later Smartype. She also worked with Wilkins and Williams to research new words to be included in the Stedman's word books. She quit that job (the one developing the Stedman word books) because she was being force to include illegitimate words that were not well researched or documented.

Hence, the appearance of words in the Stedman word books do not agree with the medical dictionary, which is why I don't use them. JMHO.
doesn't matter. Steadmans has been accepcted by every radiology account - I have had over my 40 yrs at this so...
[ In Reply To ..]
as long as they do, I use them (Steadmans). On the other hand, what the medical community, hopsitals themselves don't readily accept are all the AHDI Book of Style rules that go evey which way depending on the edition...they have their own preferentials in that regard...radiology, not acute care.

I also use pleuroparenchymal unless it is clear they are saying pleural or parenchymal.

Similar Messages:

Pleural Effusion
Jan 28, 2011

The effusion was a transudate.  The  s/l solarity was normal.  ...

When To Use Singular/pleural Of Mg?
Apr 08, 2011

My account does not allow abbreviations in anything pertaining to medications.  Dictators will always state milligrams, plural, even if it is 0.5 mg.  When do I change it to singular, except obviously with 1 milligram?  E.g.: 0.5 mg, 1.5 mg?  Is anything over 1.0 pleural? ...

Pleural Fluid?
Jun 05, 2011

There was a large phlegmon mass and we broke up some locculation. Some s/l [pleural led] fluid then drained.   ...

I'm Stumped..what Is The Pleural For Cellulitis? Why Don't I Know This???
Jun 07, 2011

.. ...

Pleural Form Of Dorsalis Pedis? Nm
Sep 21, 2012

pleural form of dorsalis pedis?  nm ...

We Did Go Ahead And Tap That Small Right Pleural Effusion. Negative S/l "asa-fast".
Jul 10, 2010

x ...