A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

A VR pattern I've noticed: (s/m) - Meerkat

Posted: Jul 15, 2011

While wondering why VR doesn't seem to be getting any better, I've started noticing a pattern while I work that might have at least something to do with it:

I have several accounts, and switch around all day.  Usually there are a lot of corrections per line with my company's VR system.  I wonder why it makes the same dumb mistakes over and over again.

However, I've begun to notice that if I've been sent a lot of VR-editing work by the same doctor, and it's all STAT work, so the TAT is pretty much within minutes, the VR starts getting a few things right after a couple reports, that it was getting wrong when I first started editing it. 

Unfortunately, the following day, even if I get the same reports again from the same doctor, VR will once again be making the same mistakes until I'm caught up almost to within minutes of the time the report was dictated.  Then it starts to get a few things right again.

So maybe it's so-called ability to "learn" is temporary and doesn't stick.  That would sure explain why we keep seeing the same dumb VR errors over and over again. 

VR - msmagoo

[ In Reply To ..]
I noticed that too, but in order for it to change back, another transcriptionist would have to be changing it back to the incorrect format for several reports, and some of the errors are pretty obvious ones. good question for tech gurus ? :) would be nice if an "expert" in how voice recognition works would explain these things.

A guess - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder if your company is running all of the doctors through VR with the same profile? Maybe that is why it learns "temporarily" if you get the same doctor in a row for a few reports. They should have separate voice profiles for each doc so that it can learn their voice and the proper corrections. VR is only as good as the person who is training it. If it is not being trained properly, it will not be good. I noticed a big difference when my employer switched to M-Modal and had their staff handle training and corrections for us. It is much better than our other VR engine that is maintained by our own staff.

What platform does your company use? We use Dictaphone Enterpres Express Editor and - ArkMT

[ In Reply To ..]
it is horrible. There are reports where the VR completely omits long sections. For example, I'm in a report now that the following was completely missing although was clear dictated,

"had an anterior wall myocardial infarction with stenting of his LAD"

And this sort of things happens on many of the dictators, not just particular ones. To me that is just unacceptable. Recently, when dictators would dictate "aspirin 81 mg daily" the VR engine was leaving out the "81 mg" even thought it was clearly dictated. This was on almost every single report I did during an 8 hour shift where the dictator dictated aspirin.

I've wondered if maybe my supervisor doesn't really understand how the VR engine works and how it needs to be trained, because I'm like the OP. When I'm doing the same dictator, one report after another, I actually will start to see the corrections I've made in the next report so I don't have to make the corrections again, but come back the next day and do the same dictator and it's back to the way it was before.

We keep getting the same old spiel about how we are supposed to be at least twice as productive with VR, but I've only seen my production increase by maybe three hundred lines at most.

I keep thinking if I educate myself about how VR is supposed to work from beginning to end, maybe I can help my supervisor and my coworkers understand and get the VR process to work better. So someone explain dictator profiles to me and how they work.

That should be "Enterprise" NOT Enterpres. - ArkMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Forgive any other typos. Frustration causes my fingers to not work right!

Similar Messages:

CA Pattern?
Jan 06, 2010

in the assessment:   He has atrophy in his right hand in an ulnar nerve or CA pattern.   I have tried finding what this CA would mean and am unable to, it's in the assessment, could I leave it abbreviated? ...

V1 Pattern?
Mar 09, 2010

He has decreased sensation predominately in a left V1 pattern, to a much lesser extent in a left V2 pattern, not affecting left V3. ...

EEG Pattern
May 02, 2011

S/l Fiji or Figi patterns on an EEG. ...

Beginning To See A Pattern Here
Nov 20, 2009

All these companies stink and this job rots...I put my resume in on Thurs w/ Keystrokes and they hired me on Friday at a higher line rate 9cpl...Got the shift I wanted but not the days off which really doesn't matter to me, just have to flex around some existing doc appts. Never worked meditech...DocQuscribe is a hard platform to follow, it is GREAT...MQ just stinks...I tried Spheris they had their good and bad on platform..The one I am on now crescendo stinks royal in many ways..God I can& ...

S/l Fastinest Pattern?
Jan 14, 2010

Examination at this point, outside of the reflex changes, does demonstrate decrease in sensation in a  fastinest pattern ...

S/l NSPL Pattern...sm
Aug 17, 2010

Doing a report for a rheumatologist. She is talking about previous investigations... "ENA screening test was positive inside the plasmic speckled pattern and s/l NSPL pattern in a titer of 1:5120." Doc is of Russian accent, perhaps that helps. TIA ...

S/l N-eye-leez Pattern?
Dec 10, 2010

In the abdomen, sounds like: There is "n-eye-leez" pattern Any ideas please?  ...

Dermatomal Pattern?
Jul 08, 2013

I'm having trouble understanding a mumbly part of this dictation...mostly b/c I can't find the phrase I think he is using.  It sounds like (under the physical exam) "The left C6 dermatomal pattern on the end of C5 dermatomal pattern appears to be the area affected by the pain." Does that sound right?   ...

Has Anyone Been Able To Determine A Pattern Regarding The Slowdown Of DQS? Sm
Jun 10, 2010

Jobs have been uploading and downloading all morning very quickly but all of a sudden are downloading very slowly again.  I have to wait for the audio to complete downloading and at times am typing faster than the download (on a DSL connection with no problems with my internet).  This downloading slowly problem seems to have at some point everyday but I haven't been able to figure out a pattern.  Can this be controlled somehow or it is just a coincidence?  Has anybody el ...

Sweat Perfusion Pattern?
Jun 13, 2013

Dictated what s/l her sweat perfusion pattern is normal. Orthopedics, rest of paragraph: She has got positive Phalen's, Tinel's and carpal tunnel compression test. There is no intrinsic atrophy. Her _____ perfusion pattern is normal. ...

"hip-ther-rhythmic Pattern? Help!!
Dec 11, 2009

Today we are doing peds neurology which I know very little about.  "Also, the findings were suggestive of a diffuse encephalopathy as well s/l "hip-ther-rhythmic" pattern consistent with documentation of infantile spasms. ...

Left Hip Injected With 80 Mg Kenalog In A [?] Pattern.
Jul 26, 2010

Oy, orthopedics... Anyone know what this could be?  The left hip greater trochanter was injected with Xylocaine and 80 mg of Kenalog in a (s/l staloid) pattern. Thank you kindly!! ...

ECG - Correct Way To Type S123 Pattern
Nov 06, 2012

Unsure if this would be S1, S2, S3 or S123 or S1-2-3 or ??   JD ...

How Would I Write This: Heart Sounds Are Normal S1, S2 With A (2 To1 PVC Pattern) Noted On EKG?
Jan 29, 2010

Thanks Guys!!! ...

Baby Having Seizures, On The Other Hand, Towards The End Of The Record The Overall Pattern Does Sugg
Jun 20, 2011

xx ...

Has Anyone Noticed
May 10, 2010

that, on companies sites, they do not always put the LOCATION of the company and you have to search for it? I think that is odd. You would think that would be the first thing that they do. I find it strange. ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed...
Dec 07, 2010

...all the jobs listed on the Job Seeker's Board?  and then noticed ...all the MT resumes listed on the Job Wanted Board ???   What's up with this?  Why don't the MTSOs advertising for help just go directly to the Job Wanted Board since there are probably hundreds/thousands of us looking for work!  Why go to the trouble of advertising when those of us on the Job Wanted Board already have our skills and experience outlined for them and we state ...

I Never Noticed It Before But
Jan 18, 2011

I was just looking back through all my pay stubs from 2010 and MQ took out less than $5.00 in federal taxes. The same dollar amount is listed in the "year-to-date" column on EVERY SINGLE STUB.  There is never an amount in the current week column and the number never changes in the year to date column. WHAT?!?!? Is this an error or did they really not take out my taxes like they were supposed to?  They took out everything else: State, social security, etc.  Am I going to get a h ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed
Aug 22, 2013

On the sign-in page to Fiesa, in the green strip at the bottom is copyright Nuance Transcription Services India Pvt. Ltd. All rights reserved.  hmmmmmm ...

Have You Noticed
Mar 06, 2014

has anyone else noticed that since the announcement of Imdex "merger" with TT that on the job seeker's board, there are now new notices of companies hiring such as Babbletype and Keystrokes that have not had hiring notices on that board? Just think that's a little unusual. ...

Hae You Noticed?
Sep 10, 2014

That QA/Fiesa only seems to find little errors?  I often wonder if the only errors that I make are a left/right discrepancy, date/age discrepancy, a, the, etc.  I have no idea who does my QA, but I'm wondering why they never find a big mistake, like a sound-alike drug or sound-alike instrument or disease.  I'm wondering if others have big mistakes found or are those who do our QA only able to find those kinds of errors - the kind we would find too if we went back and rel ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed This?
Oct 14, 2014

That VR seems to be getting worse in that it is constantly putting in a wrong number which is different from what is CLEARLY dictated.  This seems to happen more and more with dates and especially years.  Seems like they are trying to trip us up! ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed That Most Of The MT
Oct 24, 2014

job postings now are for IC's? Way to get around Obamacare. Best look up how the IRS defines IC now because a lot of these places are thinking they can tell you when you have to work and still claim you as IC with no benefits and low wages. What a deal! I feel like applying to a few just to set them straight. This career really sucks anymore. ...

About The 500+ LPH, Here Is What I Noticed In My POD-sm
Jan 21, 2015

Of the 80 people listed, only 10 had a 300+ line count.  Of those 10, 4 had a high (highlighted in red) QA submission score.  The highest line count was 415 with a 24% QA submission score. The average seemed to be between the minimum of 150 and about 250ish.   Remember when ASR started and we were told eventually we could do TWICE as much as straight typing and thus the reason for the cpl pay cut!  So we all should be at 300+ by now dont you think??!! ...

Have You Noticed...
Jun 04, 2015

the new MModal ad for PT transcriptionist?  The text of the job description is so long it won't entirely fit an iPad screen.   Really? dhere to these innumerable job responsibilities, and you too can make minimum wage.  Boy, I am chomping at the bit for that job. Sorry, folks.  I have crossed over from sarcasm to cynicism with this company.  The plan is to be gone within a month. ...

Anybody Noticed That Serious Conversations Are
Mar 24, 2010

All that is left on here is small talk ... minor complaints...amusing observations .. nothing of any consequence though.  Monitor's doing ? New policy ? ...

They Finally Noticed
Apr 29, 2010

My CCM finally called and left a message saying I hadn't been logging on and she would have to process termination if I didn't get in touch with her. "A phone call would be nice," I think is how she worded it. I didn't call her back.  I just sent her an email and told her to go right ahead and process termination, that I didn't call because I didn't feel that the Q deserved the courtesy of a call when they treat their MTs like trash. So I am officially free.  ...

Has Anyone Noticed More Typing?
Jun 24, 2011

Not complaining,mind you, but what's going on.  I'm up to 10% transcription for this pay period.  Did they decide to cut back on the SR, were their complaints by doctors saying they liked it better when we typed?  LOL  just wondering if anyone has noticed it and/or knows why. ...

I Noticed If You Uncheck The Box That Says
Sep 11, 2010

"check document as you type," there is no delay while typing and there is no delay when moving the audio slider. ASR seems to run smoother also, like before 6.1.  I did kind of like the "check document as you type," but not worth how it slows everything down..I think too much for the program to handle. Now the only thing worth the upgrade to me, as well as the only new feature I use other than doctor lookup (which I am getting used to), is the auto numbering feature.  I just love ...

Just Something I Noticed About Name Search--sm
Oct 12, 2010

If it is taking a long time to do a name search, doctor or patient, I just stop and and do it again and it goes right to it.  This is the same for "accepting" patient visit. ...