A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Scholarahips and Grants - dreamcatcher

Posted: Feb 07, 2010

I just would like to know if anyone knows where I can find scholarships or grants.  I received a pell grant to go to school at Everett for Medical Transriptionist.  I am trying to find a way to pay like my rent, internet, etc. while I go to school.  My husband and I are not working due to medical reasons and are staying at my moms.   I need a way to pay our way.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Diane (dreamcatcher)

grants - dont know

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't know about the grants, but make sure that you read some of these posts on this forum and find out if this is really want you want to do. The wages are nothing like they use to be, and getting worse. Right now very difficult for newbies to get a job in this profession also. You may want to try either billing or coding first and see what that might offer. You may also try contacting jobforces and see what kind of stay at home professions are good now days also. And whatever school you decide on, make sure it is accredited through the AHDI by going to their AHDI website and check out which school is best. You might check out www.fastweb.com and see what they offer for scholarships. Good luck whatever you do.

wow, this is only possible in the US: getting married, having a pell - American dream

[ In Reply To ..]
grant, living at mom's, not working for medical reasons, and now looking to find a grant that pays for rent, internet, etc...wow! The "American dream is back! Get some children, then the "dream" is complete.

Wow, this is only possible - dreamcatcher

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not know how to take that reply. I am not looking for handouts and we do have medical conditions. I am going back to school online to get a job I can do from home. My husband will probably be disabled, they have already got him to file for long term disability. I have already had kids, and thank God for my mother we have a roof over our head. I am not living the American dream by far. I would not say mean things to someone unless you have or are walking in their shoes. I am only asking for information. The only dumb question is the one you never ask. Thank you and have a good day.

Dreamcatcher - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
Please don't pay American Dream any mind. Some people can only feel big when they are putting others down. She or he sounds like a judgmental cyberbully. It is easy to criticize others from behind a screen name. As to your situation, you have my sympathy. I, too, am disabled and if it were not for being able to MT, I do not know how I would have supported myself for all of these years. I am happy for you that you have a supportive family. Please do not give up on your dream. I have faith that you will be able to achieve what you want to. As to those who would judge, just feel sorry for them. People who act like "sixth grade mean girls" are to be pitied. Only people who are very miserable will stoop to casting stones at strangers on a forum. Keep your chin up, walk proudly, and know that you can achieve what you set out to do. Don't let anybody or anything get in the way of your dreams! Good luck to you.
Old MTSO - dreamcatcher
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much for those kind words, they actually brought tears to my eyes. All I can say, unless you walk in someone else's shoes, you can't know how you would deal with it. I wish there were more people like you , who have compassion. I will hold my head up and walk proudly because I am trying to do something with my life even if it is kind of late. I have 2 beautiful young men who are trying to do better than me, where they won't have to deal with all this stuff. I am setting an example to my boys to never give up. You are a wonderful person and I thank you.

Scholarships and Grants - KYMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I admire your drive to go back to school and learn a career. To the poster above, I think you were to harsh on dreamcatcher. If you had really paid attention to her post, it sounds as if she is trying to move out of her mom's and make a life for herself and her husband. Dreamcatcher, if you received a Pell grant, then I assumed you filled out a FAFASA. This will be used to determine finacial aid available at your school. There are always low interest loans for expenses too. Perhaps even workstudy at the college you are applying to might be an option. Good luck and hang in there!

how come that both of you can study but not work? - really a dreamer?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Really a dreamer - dreamcatcher

[ In Reply To ..]
Medical conditions keep us at home. You can study from home, it isnt tht physical. My husband cannot work because he is waiting on surgery to fix his neck. I really am not dreaming, just trying to make a life for us.

"just trying to make a life for us" - Maybe so

[ In Reply To ..]
but it's on somebody else's dime.

No one begrudges you your dream. We just resent the fact that you expect us to pay for it.

Those handouts you're getting and the handouts you're looking for are provided from the confiscatory taxes that are taken from the incomes we earn.

I think it's your attitude of entitlement that grates the most.
I agree. Are you both innocent of your disabilities? - nomess
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
wow -- - -- soapbox much?
[ In Reply To ..]
Programs to which individuals are entitled are not handouts.

If you find taxes "confiscatory", talk to your senators. I am proud to pay taxes. It means I am able to participate in the system.

I didn't hear anything that sounded like "entitlement" from the original poster.
Handouts??? - dreamcatcher
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not asking for handouts. I am a tax payer too, thank you very much. Things happen in a person's life that cannot be helped. I did not ask for my husband to get disk degerate disease, nor did he. I have paid taxes since I was 15 years old and I do not feel looking for a way to help me pay for my college is a handout. You do not walk in my shoes and I do not walk in yours. Please do not judge me for reaching out for help. I am a very prideful person and it kills me that I cannot pay all my expenses to get back into the work force. I do not understand what is meant by confiscatory taxes, but if they come out of our income then so be it. I am not trying to offend anyone. I just know in this day and age times are hard and I am doing the best I possibly can.
confiscatory means "Maybe so" is a libertarian - ggmt
[ In Reply To ..]
"Maybe so" is just another Internet libertarian, bringing his/her politics over here instead of keeping them on the politics board. I wouldn't sweat it.
Maybe so - Old MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
You might want to remember that you yourself or one accident or one illness away from being disabled. Think about it and please try to have a little more compassion.
You could be right - Maybe so
[ In Reply To ..]
The difference is that I have planned ahead to put into place sufficient resources, including paying for disability and health insurance out of pocket, and sacrificing to ensure sufficient savings and investments to make sure that no one will have to sacrifice to provide for me.

I have also continued to add and upgrade skills (at my own expense) all my working life so that when the world changes, and it has several times, I would still be employable, and I always have been. I have always had at least two jobs. MT is my current second job. I probably pay more in taxes every year than most MTs earn. I have every right to resent paying taxes I consider to be confiscatory because so much goes to support people who simply failed to plan ahead or take responsibility for themselves.

I (and you and everyone else) may be one accident or illness away from disability, but neither you nor anyone else will ever have to pay one cent to provide anything for me. I won't be loooking for handouts. I've made sure I can provide for myself.

You're welcome.
Maybe so - Old MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
I would not be so confident if I were you. What if you develop (and I surely hope you don't!) aplastic anemia and require a bone marrow transplant? What if your insurance is capped? What if you burn through your savings? Even if you have all of the money in the world, you do not have compassion, and no amount of money can buy you a heart.
As fervently as you may hope - Maybe so
[ In Reply To ..]
that I will be financially devastated by something really, really dire (and I don't believe for a minute that you "surely hope" nothing dire happens), I'm afraid you will just have to be sadly disappointed. I have a safety net of sufficient depth and breadth(including insurance that is not capped or revocable--sorry to burst your bubble) to withstand whatever life throws at me. This didn't happen by accident or luck. I planned for it and worked for it. All the ill wishing you can devise will not change that.

There is nothing special about me or my circumstances that would make the same achievement beyond the reach of anyone else. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

I save my compassion for the truly helpless. Animals and children are helpless. Adults should be expected to take responsibility for themselves.

So, I will refuse delivery of your ill wishes and wish you joy of them.

Scholarships and Grants - alternative - Jeannie

[ In Reply To ..]
If you can't find a grant, you might qualify for a standard student loan. You won't have to pay it back until after you graduate & then you will be allowed to make payments for up to 10 years.

Student Loan - dreamcatcher

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for that information. This is all i was asking for was information.
Have a great day.

Another option - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
Another option for you, have you contacted your local office of vocational rehabilitation? While I don't think they will not help with housing costs they will pay up to $4000 a year if you are dislocated from your job due to a disability.

Loan - dreamcatcher

[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate the input on here. I did follow one person's advice on here. I was going to do a Stafford loan when I applied for registration at the school. They are the ones that mentioned to me about trying for the pell grant. They are now checking into to see if I can still make the loan, but for a lesser amount. So the ones that were worried about it being on their dime won't have to worry about it. I understand how you feel when it comes to free loaders. I assure you that I am not one of these. Have a great day to everyone. Thank you.
Dreamcatcher - Old MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
Just a suggestion, and you can tell me to mind my own onions if you want to: Does your school use the SUM program? If they do not, you might want to look at a school that does. Good luck to you, whatever your choice! God bless you and don't let the bullies get you down.

Scholarships and grants - oldone

[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck in your quest for scholarships and/or grants. I hope you do well. Please don't pay attention to the big "nasties" on here. Some people could not be happy for anyone else or offer a kind word if their life depended on it. My dad used to say, "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all." There are some very NOT NICE people on here who love to rush to judgment on almost every post. Water finds its own level. Anyone who is constantly mean will end up being treated that way in return...if not on this earth then...phew! later on.

Similar Messages:

Advise About Where To Look For Educational Grants For Medical Coding Education
Mar 04, 2013

Dear Friends: My name is Suzie and I am a medical transcriptionist who wants to attend medical coding school, The Andrew's School, is the school I want to attend.  I would like to know if any of you have any suggestions about education grants that I can look into.  I would like some information.  Thank you in advance. Fondly, Suzie ...