A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I'm cannot afford to quit work as a MT and go to school for coding/billing. s/m - mt2long

Posted: Aug 22, 2012

I will have to continue to work full-time while taking classes.  Which online schools are accredited?   And is there a big difference in getting a job/pay for having diploma or certificate?  I'm in Florida and there are a lot of schools advertised.  I want a good school, not a scam program.  Thank you.

Some of the worst are accredited. That just means they take federal financial aid - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There have been a lot of articles and investigations about accredited schools for the last couple of years. The students are ending up with huge amounts of student loan debt and coming out with such poor educations that they can't get a job to help pay back the loans. Don't make that your criteria for choosing a school.

What you want to know with coding education is whether the school's graduates can pass credentials tests, especially the CCS, but also the CPC. You'll find quite a few that prepare students to pass the CPC, but not very many that teach to the level of the CCS. Andrews does. I'm not familiar with any others, but maybe some of their students and graduates will add to the conversation.

Good luck with your decision!

Schools that "advertise" like that are diploma mills. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Those schools that "advertise" all over the place are diploma mills. They are the ones you want to avoid. Yes, they ARE all over Florida. In the 40 miles I drove yesterday, I counted 4 billboards for them and saw 6 office buildings that had one in it. If I were to drive in the opposite direction, I would see another 10.

One thing you said was that you will have to continue to work full-time while taking classes, so you were looking for an online school. The idea that students do not work and attend school full-time -- in other words, they go to school all day or at night in person -- is no longer applicable to most college settings.

The majority of health information technology programs, which are the ones that contain coding classes or programs, are based in physical buildings, but their classes are going to be online. They will use commercial courseware like Angel or Blackboard to host online classes in every subject you take. The class itself will consist of an online teaching module that matches the textbook. The publisher creates the online material that matches the book, the PowerPoints, exercises, and exams. Instead of doing written assignments to hand in, you will do them online in the software or do them on your computer and upload them to the courseware. Your class "interaction" will be gauged by participation in chat room discussions. Say, every week you will have to post an answer to a question posted on the chatroom board and post a response to another student's question. At some schools, you have to attend an online discussion session once or twice weekly. If the instructor offers lectures, they may be just uploaded PowerPoints or written scripts.

At some schools they may provide the recording of the lecture, as well. Very few will provide a transcript of that lecture, so you will end up transcribing a few hours of that every week, or at least listening and taking notes. Two schools I attended would test incredibly trivial, irrelevant detail from those lectures to ensure that you did listen to them instead of just reading the PowerPoint. Stuff like "in the example given on the third slide of lecture 2 . . ."

What I'm trying to tell you is that you are not going to get an instructor in a class even if you DO attend a local college. What you are likely to get is a lot of complicated busy-work intended to replace sitting in a classroom for a semester.

To answer your question about job/pay differences for diplomas or certificates, I'll start by saying the big difference you need to worry about is between becoming employable and not becoming employable. Regardless of what program you take, you need a CPC certification at a minimum and preferably the CCS, as well.

That is about the only way to overcome your lack of experience when you go job-hunting. It is not foolproof, either. You still have to be appealing in a "professional" way to an employer.

What is the difference between a diploma and a certificate? It isn't clear what you mean by that. If you mean a diploma from a 2-year college HIT program and a certificate from a shorter coding program, there isn't any. It makes no difference how you learn coding. The only thing that matters is getting a CPC and CCS. That being said, you need to look closely at the program you are considering, because I do not think there are any HIT programs or college coding programs goes beyond the CCA credential. They all buy into the belief that you need 3 years of working experience to learn enough to pass the CCS. Unfortunately, employers won't want to hire you without the CCS.

Accreditation can mean several things. A college can be regionally accredited (typically non-profit, "traditional" universities like Duke, Harvard, UMiami, and Western Governors are regionally accredited) or accredited by an organization specifically set up to accredit colleges that cannot get accredited by regional organizations (for-profit diploma mills, tech and business colleges owned locally or by giant corporations). The big difference is that regionally accredited colleges will not accept credit from the others and employers might have an aversion to hiring you if you attended a diploma mill or tech college.

There is also accreditation by CAHIIM. They accredit HIT and HIA programs. You cannot sit for the RHIT or RHIA exams unless you have completed a program that is accredited by CAHIIM. The fact that a school is accredited by CAHIIM does not mean it is not a diploma mill, because CAHIIM accredits some for-profits and known diploma mills. They also "approve" primarily college coding programs, but there is no requirement to attend one of them in order to sit for credentialing exams--it is mostly a marketing tool.

The AAPC has coding courses itself and also certifies instructors who teach the course locally and sometimes online. Those courses cover ONLY outpatient coding. Graduates usually can pass the CPC exam because the courses are tailored for that. This will enable you to get a job doing physician office coding, mostly. That's an ok start to begin with IF there are a lot of jobs in your local market. The best way to find out is to attend meetings of your AAPC chapter and network with members. You'll have to find them anyway to take the CPC exam.

For other courses, Andrews teaches to both the CPC and CCS exams, apparently teaching outpatient and inpatient coding completely separately. Their students have been having success in the certification arena. They are definitely not a scam. They have an advantage in that they are not totally online. They still use books and have well-qualified instructors. They offer a good payment plan and, I think, still participate in some other programs, to offset the fact that they do not participate in the student loan program.

Cost always comes up in discussions like this. I can tell you that the diploma mills will cost the most, sometimes leaving students with $39 in debt for just a coding program. They emphasize loan programs that are devastating in the long run, especially if you are unable to get a job. Other programs all work out to about the same amount, even though it might not seem so. Some make it appear that they cost less by offering less material or "homemade" material, or by offering a price for a too-short-to-complete time frame and charging extra for the extensions they know you will need, or by charging extra if you want books and course materials (especially if you cannot get them elsewhere). Some do it by not having instructors at all, or by offering a team of unknown "experts" who may help you with a limited number of questions. (One course allows students something like an hour of instructor time, charging extra for additional.)

In comparison, another program may seem to be more expensive, but may include all course materials, reputable industry-standard references and textbooks, unlimited time to completion and instructor support, a reputation for working with students until they succeed in passing certification exams, and may offer twice as much instruction, including an actual course devoted to just inpatient coding. On a cost-benefit basis, their tuition works out to be a real bargain, although at first glance it deters students who are looking for something cheap.

I would suggest you read a few months' worth of postings on this board to get an idea about schools.

Thank you !! - mt2long

[ In Reply To ..]

I currently work full time and am going to school - A student

[ In Reply To ..]
I just wanted to tell you, while it is difficult to work full time and go to school for coding, it can be done. It's definitely NOT easy. I usually study 2 hours in the afternoon when my little one is napping and then on my days off, I usually put in about 5 hours at night after my kids go to bed. Take your time and do your research on what school would be the best fit. I currently go to Andrews and it's not a scam school, but it just depends on if you need financial aid and such. Good luck to you :)

Similar Messages:

Coding/billing School
Apr 26, 2014

I am wanting to go into billinig/coding.  There is a tech school very close to my home. They have coding/billing  program  which takes 1 year to complete full time.  I am wondering this:  How much does a newbie make just starting out in either billing or coding and what are my chances of getting a newbie job right out of school?  Thanks for the info. ...

Billing/Coding School Recommendation Sm
Jun 28, 2010

Thinking of taking billing/coding courses since transcription is going downhill.  Any good on-line schools that are AHIMA accredited?  Do you have to take courses only accredited by AHIMA?  What about their courses?  Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.  (Also, I don't want to take a course that takes years to complete.)  Thanks in advance! ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Online School For Billing & Coding
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

Bus Driver Said She Graduated From Medical Billing/coding School
Sep 25, 2012

and the reason she's driving a bus is because she hasn't been able to find a job as a coder since graduation. I asked her if she took her certification exam yet, and she said no. I didn't say anything but maybe this is the reason why she hasn't gotten hired yet. ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Best School To Go To For Medical Billing
Jan 25, 2013

I currently am working at a nursing home as the office manager and the company is wanting to bring the billing inhouse, having me do it. I have done some billing in the past, but would definitely need a refresher! Thanks in advance! ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Billing/coding
Apr 20, 2010

has anyone thought about or actually made the swith from mt to billing/coding? ...

Coding/Billing
Jan 11, 2011

Anyone know if MedQuist has coding/billing jobs and would hire a new grad from CareerStep?  Thanks!  ...

Billing Vs Coding
Apr 05, 2011

Quick question - medical billing and medical coding are two totally separate entities, right?  Meaning, you have schools for billing and schools for coding or schools that teach coding OR billing.. Just had a discussion with someone regarding this and I would like to have my facts straight ... thanks everyone!!!   There are billing jobs and coding jobs, but the two shall never "meet", right? ...

Billing And Coding
Apr 11, 2011

I have a stupid question.  When I finished my MT course with Allied Medical School, I then found out they are NOT (federally) accredited, they do not assist you in finding positions, and they do not assist in helping you become certified.  In other words, I felt that I wasted all of that money.  As a newbe I was unable to find a job.  I started apprenticing with a company, paid their $500 fee for software, and after 8-9 months, found they had changed their name.  Apparently, they were getti ...

Looking Into Coding And Billing
Sep 30, 2011

I have been an MT for 20+ years and now looking into coding and billing... Would you recommend it? I am considering this, but looking for some words of wisdom prior to making a decision. I see Career Step offers the program, but not familiar enough with Career Step to know if they are a reputable. I have been told that coding is on its way out like transcription and not to waste my time, but only heard that from one person so far.  Anything you can share with me would be great! Thanks :) ...

No Coding Or Even Billing Job Yet
Oct 30, 2014

It has been almost 8 months since I passed my CPC on first try. I have been in MT field for more than 14 years, and yet nobody is ready to give me a job based on that. Everyone says u dont have a coing xperience. Is anybody else suffering like me out there? I am slowly losing hope that I will ever be able to leave this field. ...

Coding Versus Billing
Apr 14, 2010

Can anyone explain the difference between coding and billing?  Do coding credentials apply to billing too? ...

Billing And Coding With MT Background
Jun 15, 2010

I have a background in medical transcription however I am unable to sit in the same position (foot pedal - headset - typing) for any length of time.  I broke my neck many years ago and didn't know when I was in school that this was going to prevent me from doing this career on even a part time basis and after graduating with high honors and having great employee/employer relationships. I am wondering if it is feasible to do billing and coding with medical transcription in a home offic ...

Information On Billing/coding
Aug 30, 2010

I had a friend suggest I access this webiste for possible information on Medical Billing/Coding training.  Do you have any suggestions on where to obtain training and certification for Medical Billing/Coding.  There are 2 of us that would be interested in this and then to move onto the Medical Transcriptions.  We would both like to work from home and spend time with our children.  Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance. ...

Explanation Of Coding/Billing
Jul 11, 2011

I am looking at options/alternatives.  Currently an MT with 15+ years.  Can someone tell me what a coding job and/or billing job exactly is (job description)?  What is required of a coder/biller?  Is it a WAH job?    Thanks!  ...

Coding And Billing Schools
Sep 16, 2011

Just lost my part-time transcripton job and starting to hear that this field is becoming extinct. Thinking about going to school online for billing and coding.  Anybody know of a oustanding accredited school?  Do not want to waste time and money barking up the wrong tree.  Is it costly? ...

MT Considering Coding/billing Training
Mar 13, 2014

I have been an MT for seven years and for the most part do enjoy the work, but find the "feast or famine" nature of the work difficult to make a decent living.  I will soon be divorced and won't have my husband's income to help support the house.  I have been thinking about training for medical coding and/or billing and am looking into different online courses.  I was considering a bundled course at MedicalBillingCourse.com.  Has anyone completed this course an ...

BILLING AND CODING To My Resume
Mar 30, 2014

I have been transcribing for over 20 years and would like to add billing and coding to my resume.  I have heard Penn Foster is a good online school that is accredited.  Any thoughts to help me make a decision? ...

Best Job Prospects? Billing Or Coding?
May 29, 2014

As a starving MT, I am going to take the plunge through AAPC to enroll either in their coding or billing program.  I cannot afford both.  Actually, I cannot afford either, but I feel I have to invest in the future away from MT.  I've read the forums at AAPC, and some are saying there are too many credentialed coders and not enough jobs.  I do not know what the job impact will be, if any, once ICD-10 is implemented, if it is implemented, and the need for more coders.  ...

Coding And Billing Training
Dec 31, 2014

I'm thinking about making the transition from transcription to coding/billing.  What are the best schools to attend?  I have seen many courses online, but not sure which ones are the best.  Thanks! ...

Coding/Billing-worth It?!
Jan 30, 2015

okay ladies and gents--I got a lot of negative reviews on the MT world and have decided that is not a route worth going down....however, we have a small child, and come July will have two! We can't afford daycare full time for 2 babies. I was counting on working from home.  Do you guys think coding & billing is worth it? Do you enjoy your jobs? Are many of you able to work from home?  Is Andrews the reccommended school? About how long does it take to actutually complete the ...

Coding/billing Pay Question
Feb 03, 2015

I am currently a transcriptionist with 7 years' experience, and I am considering going back to Andrews for either coding or billing. I am trying to decide what field I want to get back into, and pay versus school time is really the determining factor for me right now. To anyone wililng to answer, especially if you are an Andrews graduate, how long did it take to get through your billing and/or coding program? Also, if you don't mind answering, how much do you make now? Do you work at ...

Medical Billing/Coding
Feb 13, 2015

Does any one know of any good medical billing and coding schools online? ...

Transcriptionist Also Does Medical Coding/billing?
Nov 16, 2009

I was wondering if anyone who is a transcriptionist also does medical coding/billing.  I wonder if we are any safer with this field and what the pay is like.  It looks to be about the same from what I have found on line.  I have been doing transcription for 10 years and am getting tired of what is happening in the industry.  It is tedious, hard work to sit on your butt all day and only get paid when your fingers are on the keys.  I am thinking of working in an office or hospital for a chang ...

Please Help! Physical Therapy Billing/coding
Sep 01, 2010

I have never coded/billed for physical therapy.  The scenario is:  eval (97001), application of hot/cold packs (97010), and 3 minutes of ultrasound (97035).  I checked the cms website and other sites relating to physical therapy, but they are all unclear.  Should I bill/code this as 97001 and 97010-59? ...

Information On Medical Billing/coding
Sep 08, 2010

I am interested in obtaining some information on the medical billing/coding certifications.  If anyone has class or school informaiton that is realiable I would greatly appreciate it.  I am looking for online certificated classes. Thanks ...

Transition From Transcription To Billing/Coding
Nov 14, 2011

I am a medical transcriptionist that has been typing radiology the last 11 years. My job is going to be phased out by voice recognition soon. I'm thinking of going back to school for medical billing/coding. Has anyone else made this transition? Do you like or hate it? ...

Future In Medical Coding / Billing
Feb 08, 2012

I have a question about coding and billing.  For three years in the '90s, I coded and transcribed for a small, rural, hospital.  I was responsible for outpatient, ER, inpatient, surgical etc. coding and transcription.  It was mostly ICD-9, and HCPC coding.  If I want to code from home in the future, what would you suggest I do, an online program?  Do you think coding from home would be an opportunity or do most hospitals/clinics/physicians require experience at a facility first, and wo ...