Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

M*Modal

MT who was moved to Praat - Workingmt

Posted: Jan 20th, 2022 - 12:18 pm In Reply to: the MT that was moved from Fluency.... - sm

Hi, thanks for wondering about me. For me, the experience was horrible. I survived the training, and during the training tried to explain to them that I had horrible tinnitus from all the years of doing transcription, on top of having some pitch hearing loss and that I was not able to be able to pick out 3 female voices all talking at the same time, on top of laughter, etc. I tried to give it my all, but after only 1 week of "live" work my tinnitus had gone through the roof with having to re-listen to 3-second sections of people talking over themselves and background horrendous noises literally scaring me in my seat because they were so loud, and the fact that everything they wanted us to do was the exact opposite of what we have been trained to do our whole career, I could not take it another day. I contacted my supervisor and asked to be placed back on production or let me go as I could not do what they were asking of me. My supervisor was very nice and let me go back to production, but I think she might have gotten in trouble for it, because a few hours later I received a phone call from "upper management" stating that my supervisor should not have let me go back to production, and wanted to know my reasons for wanting to be taken off the project. So, I again explained to her my tinnitus problem and pitch hearing loss, and anxiety and stress that I was undergoing and simply stated that if I could not go back to production, please "let me go." She stated she would have to talk to HR, and later that day I got an e-mail stating that I could stay on production knowing that I would be running out of work daily because of the low volumes. In the meantime, I have only run out of work 2 days since being back. In the back of my mind I'm thinking if they keep moving people over to this project, they have to leave a skeleton crew on production and eventually there would be work for whose left. So far, so good. BUT, I am ready to be let go at any point if so be it, but I will not go back to Praat. Maybe some of the MTs moved over love it, but it was just not for me, not in my job description, and I felt forced to do it as I told them. I have a feeling when I mentioned it had made my tinnitus worse they were afraid to let me go right away or I was going to complain to Worker's Comp or something.

Anyway, that's my experience, others may love it; it just was not for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)