Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Integrity.. (Views: 32)

I transcribed dictation into an EHR. - Old Anon. SM

Posted: Jan 24th, 2020 - 2:03 pm In Reply to: Question about typing directly in EHR - sm

This is my experience. Before I even got to input my transcription into the patient's file, several other staff members input their data. The NP or PA would input the family and social history, past medical history, patient's medications, and physical exam findings. This was done on site.

Then it was my turn. I worked at home. The doctor dictated reason for visit, objective findings for that particular visit, and the assessment and plan for that visit. So my portion of the record was a very small part of the whole. You could not run a line count on the entire record, which would be a very, very high line count, and would include everybody's input. The other staff (NP/PA) were paid by the hour, while I was paid by the line.

What I did was take the sound file I had to transcribe for a particular visit date and put it in one large Word document, usually the date of visit and provider's name. I put each patient's name at the beginning of their individual dictations. When all patients for that date were transcribed, I could run my own line count and save that for when I invoiced the client. Then I would open the EHR (I had access from home) and copy and paste the transcribed dictation patient by patient into the appropriate sections of the EHR.

This worked okay for a year or so until a new version of the EMR wasn't allowing the copy/paste process and would put 2 or 3 words on a line and then wrap it to the next line. In other words, it was a mess. We spoke with the EMR company, and they couldn't figure out why it did that.

At this point, what I did was take a month's worth of notes with a total line count of all of them and divided that by the number of patients in all those files. I came up with $4.25 per patient. I then started to transcribe directly into the EHR and charged per patient.

You could also start out with a per patient charge if you could quickly figure out about how many lines the average patient note would be and determine your per patient charge that way.

Well that's how it worked out for me. I tend to doubt that any of the EHRs will allow you to get a line count on only what you personally have transcribed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)