Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Experience matters - Song and dance

Posted: Jan 12th, 2019 - 6:00 pm

They gave us the song and dance that VR would do most of the work for us and slashed our pay, everyone remember that?  Coinciding with offshoring the majority of our work to India, being paid for at a fraction of the cost of employing us, too, remember?  And India couldn't do the work because it actually requires a solid grasp of the English language more than anything, right?  And VR is a mess on a good day.  So how many of us wound up with years of valuable experience that was made to seem like it held no value and compensated accordingly?

So we all know that, but the reason I'm posting this is because sometimes doing this work, I realize just how much experience matters and it ticks me off that we are not better compensated (no one lecture me on getting out, I already know).

I'm on a report tonight and VR has typed Estimated Blood Loss: 5200.  Like most of us, I have had to teach myself to race through reports in order to be productive, but that still made me pause.  In the back of my mind, I'm trying to remember how many gallons of blood are in the human body (1-1/2?) and I'm thinking that childbirth isn't even that high, and most other surgeries way less.  So I go back to relisten and I still hear 5200.  And then I finally realize the dictator is saying 50 TO 100.  Duh.

But I think:  THAT is why experience matters.

VR typed it.  Not everyone would have caught that.  Truth.

And it's why VR hasn't replaced us.  The admins may not get it, but a lot of the physicians do.  And I'll say one other thing while I'm on this rant. :)  I believe the vast majority of upgrades to VR were made hoping it would enable India to do the work a US MT could do, even without the solid grasp of English.  And it failed.  And being able to listen THAT closely to the nuances of the English language is one reason why, not to mention all we have to know about anatomy and physiology, pathology, surgeries, specialties, and on and on, never mind the excellent grammar and punctuation.

Cheers to all of you who have gone on to better things.

I just want to point out that experience matters.  All this massive amount of medical information we all have, it matters.  Same with the grammar and punctuation.  And if it matters, it's worth being compensated for.  Whether that ever happens again in the transcription field remains to be seen, but don't sell yourselves short.  If the industry won't embrace you, take those skills where they're appreciated.  But never allow yourself to be fooled into thinking they didn't matter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)