Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

When did transcription die? - And am I the only one who was in denial

Posted: Dec 12th, 2018 - 8:22 am

I read the article someone linked to recently that a fellow MT write regarding how transcription had changed over the years.  It said much of what I've been thinking. I have been in this field for 25 years. I always thought it was a wonderful job, and I enjoyed what I did. I felt like my job was important, that I was respected, and I didn't mind proudly telling others what I did for a living, as I believed I played an integral role in patient care. 

Today, though, times have changed. I make much less money than I did when I started - in what other profession does that happen? The work seems harder, as I believe editing is more difficult in some ways. Many of the smaller places to work (which were great) have been gobbled up by larger companies - and we know how that has worked out. Treatment of MTs has plummeted.  It is all very depressing. 

Did this happen gradually, like the old saying of a frog in boiling water? Or did I miss something along the way? Do you ever look around and wonder why you have held on to transcription? I do - I wonder why I held out hope for so many years. I wonder why I didn't look forward with a clearer eye, see what was happening, and move into something else 10 years ago. I think that I did see foreshadowing, but was still raising children and also had hopes that "voice rec can never replace a human."  

I think the point of this post is misery looking for company. I'm wondering if there are others who are moaning the loss of what used to be a proud and enjoyable "career" that has now disentegrated into daily drudgery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)