Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Company Board

Doctors and EMR - sm

Posted: Dec 5th, 2018 - 9:49 pm In Reply to: Going - Gone

The doctors love to dictate, though. They hate typing themselves. They hate having to fill out forms on lap tops in front of patients. Or getting back reports, not to mention receiving reports from other providers, that are riddled with errors and make no sense (VR without MTs...or India, anyone?). Scribes might have been a good idea, but now the MTSOs have tried to take that over too and are sending out people without any MT experience and nothing but a few weeks of anatomy/terminology training. Ridiculous.

I know zero doctors who wish they could do more admin/transcription/documentation work themselves.

I don't know if it will ever come full circle and we will be valued for the expertise we have and paid accordingly. Maybe not soon enough for me to benefit.

But the way I see it, the doctors and administration took us for granted for decades. In a way, that's a compliment. We worked so well and knew our profession so well, the doctors and administrators gave the whole field of MT little thought. It's not until something goes wrong that you really sit up and take notice, right?

Until the MTSOs came along trying to convince the admins to ditch us to save $$$, and again, that's what happens when something works so well, you take it for granted. The days when excellent work was taken for granted were the days when we were paid accordingly.

From what I can tell, no one has come up with anything that works half as well or effortlessly as having MTs did. The technology may be out there on the horizon, but I don't think it's imminent. I think off-shoring was what drove us into the ground, and people are only now realizing it was an experiment, quality wise, that failed.

VR is a miserable failure alone, but with us, it's a tool. It should be paid at the same rate as straight typing. It's not easier, it's different, requiring a whole different set of skills to make it work well, but we can do it. But it requires 100% of the exact same expertise that straight typing requires, and as far as attention to detail and spotting errors, it has turned each and every one of us into a QA, so even more.

No idea what will happen next but if enough people refuse to work for slave wages, as the above posters said, maybe we have a chance. But for now, too many companies are still drinking the Kool-Aid. Too many of us are still being driven out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)