Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

VR ... - romiha

Posted: Feb 15th, 2018 - 8:30 am In Reply to: So bored with VR! - help

I feel the same way about VR, but I copy/paste the choicest wrecks (no patient names, obviously) and share them with friends/family to get a sympathetic chuckle.

I seriously thought about doing something else, too!

HOWEVER, my mom has Alzheimer's disease and dad needs help taking care of her. I had my hours set to be 6-11 a.m. 7 days a week then going over to parents in the afternoons (I live about 1.5 miles away). Mom needed more care than Dad can provide, so we hired an aide ($60 a day for 2 hours). When my MTSO switched to VR (only one account is straight typing), my income dropped dramatically. Two weeks ago, the aide said she was quitting and a new aid would take her place. I called the agency and said no.

I've since rearranged my schedule - again - now work 3 a.m. to 8 a.m. and am at my parents from about 10ish to 3ish. Seven days a week. Dad and I have a "contract" and he pays me monthly for my services, which I have calculated to make up the shortfall. I have 2 part-time clients of my own, so most mornings I am up and at 'em at 1:30 a.m. I try to have lights out by 6:30 p.m.

I'm into week 2 of this new schedule/arrangement and I think it's going to work. It certainly is keeping me out of trouble - I don't have time to get into trouble!! lol.

For us, this is a win-win. Makes up the shortfall in my income. I don't have to think about what I want to be when I grow up. Mom gets more direct one-on-one care. Dad gets a break (he has back problems and lack of sleep due to mom is wearing him out). Sure beats having to pay a nursing home $7000 a month which would be my dad's only option if I wasn't able to help out. Parents have too much $$ to qualify for Medicaid for nursing home for at least a solid year.

I still have a sneaking suspicion the MTSOs are making a profit off this and are still charging the clients the same per-line. Surely the MTSOs can't survive too long at such a reduced rate! I don't see any way to prove it though, since I'm just an IC. The clients certainly don't see a difference in the final product that I produce. MTs are the ones losing out - pay, sanity, respect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)