Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Workers at subsistence wage (or less) - My opinion

Posted: Dec 7th, 2017 - 7:32 pm In Reply to: Interesting Factoid: The First Electrical Workers to Unionize were - TelephoneOperators

Low wage workers cannot afford to go on strike and so they are taken advantage of. Add that to transcriptionists working at home instead of on-site making them even more exploitable.

When your fellow workers are willing to cherrypick, there will be no union able to have any power to help.

The only recourse is to work to elect governmental officials who are willing to go to bat for you. There are some. Right now, I would say your State Attorney Generals and others within your state are the best options. It is obvious US Congress will never be able to act on the worker's behalf as evidenced by their tax plan that distributes your tax money to corporations and the wealthy. Another example: Look how the inability to have a uniform livable minimum wage has been used against us. I recently applied for a job where I got an immediate reply that they are not hiring MTs in my state. I believe that is happening pretty much across the board in high minimum wage states. Really, it would not be worth it for me to work for any less than my "high" minimum wage. If they cannot pay my high minimum wage, what does that say about their average doable line count? 400 lines per hour? I don't think so.

BTW, I think unions are great and I hope they can start to make a comeback --they just do not seem to work in our situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)