Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Input please! Pros/cons of dropping to PT to save money on - insurance

Posted: Nov 13th, 2017 - 8:34 am

Looking for a fresh set of brain cells on this one! I'm locked into employer health insurance until Sept. I pay $240/month but can get coverage for $30/month through Marketplace. I drop to part time (29 hours), I will become ineligible for insurance through employer and can sign up through Marketplace. Also IC is an option but then there is the SE tax hit. The difference of $200-plus per month take home will more than make up for the 11 hours I'm dropping from my schedule. (We are running out of work constantly - and not able to get 40 hours worth of work the last few weeks anyway - have been using up PTO. This OOW situation is HIGHLY unlikely to improve.)

So, what cons am I possibly missing? The only one I can come up with is losing PTO, but I haven't accrued any lately due to not meeting line requirement of 24,000 per pay period.

Would being a PT employee render me ineligible for UE in the event the company lays people off? Of course, they'd likely let the FT people go first so they can get rid of the benefit expense.

Anything you can think of to add is greatly appreciated!

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)