Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

VR/Speech Recoginition

Edit vs. typing - MTfor years

Posted: Oct 29th, 2017 - 8:49 pm In Reply to: New to editing - metoo

Some people love editing. Some think it is the worst thing ever. I personally am not a proponent of editing. I have been an MT for 25+ years and owned my own business back in the day, and I have typed on too many programs to count and have edited on a bunch. I think there is more room for error while editing. Your brain tends to correct the text before your fingers arrive. I rarely use my expander anymore and for that reason my ability to earn more has been taken from me. It is very frustrating to me to keep fixing the same errors over and over that the speech engine spits out. How many repetitive corrections does it take for the system to change? I could type the darn sentence correct the first time. Plus, you are editing/training a speech engine that all the other MTs use. There are competing styles.

I absolutely miss WP5.1. We typed text and sent it to the service to upload to the client. We had no responsibility other than typing our reports and enjoying our job; none of this demographic screen malarky and choose this date of service over that one even though there are five on the same date of service to choose from. Guess what? Your odds just went up that you could make an incorrect choice.

I wouldn't hold hope that you will enjoy the same income that you did straight typing your work. The only exception to that statement would be if the translated work is darn near perfect by the time you see it and you can sit and read it while listening to the voice file.

I think a lot more keystroking is involved, too, which is a lot of stress on the hands and wrists.

Overall, being offered 3-4 cents a line for something you could type faster is an insult. It is not transcription. It is not a well-compensated job to edit and most of us have to work two jobs just to pay the bills...maybe. The days of $2,000+ paychecks has gone the way of the dodo.

I hope that you can find a rhythm editing and if it is something that you like, then I do wish that you make a good income.

Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)