Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Who has Canadian accounts now?.. (Views: 74)

I am so saddened to hear story after story just like - this, especially since I am

Posted: Oct 17th, 2017 - 1:30 pm In Reply to: Unemployment is depressing anyone else going through this - MT

one of those stories. I got laid off last year. I don't know how old you are, but I'm in my mid 50s. I realized quickly that it was a detriment to admit how much experience I had. I was putting 25 years' experience and getting NO responses. I changed my resume to 15 years' and lo and behold, I got 3 responses from different MT companies and landed my current gig. Now, I'm not saying this job (or any MT job) is stable and/or lucrative by any means, but this one pays better than the last one and so I'll probably be okay for at least a while. I don't like fibbing on a resume or encouraging anyone else to, but the SAD and true fact is that age discrimination is alive and well.

Other than that, all I can say is that you aren't alone, as I'm sure you know. Are you 62 yet? Able to collect partial SS? Then find a PT job? What did you go back to school for that you have student loans on? Another idea: Dog sitting. Just a supplement though and, of course, you do have to like dogs but she makes a tidy little sum. There's also regular transcription. And redo your resume and "fib" a little about how much experience you have...do not put anything on that resume that would let them even guess how old you are. They cannot ask you and yes they will find out but not until after you are hired.

I hope something works out for you soon. And DO get the UE, it is worth it. Also maybe look into getting free training either from TAA (Trade Adjustment Act) or from the unemployment office, if that's a route you'd like to try. That's what I plan to do if I get laid off again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)