Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Who has Canadian accounts now?.. (Views: 74)

To be honest, I've found little value in using the word lists of others. - Memorizing their shorthand etc

Posted: Oct 14th, 2017 - 8:10 am In Reply to: Ship's come in-placed on lucrative Psych account - Brenda

I take it you've been in the biz for awhile and already have your own shorthand list. Much of what you'll run into in psych is just plain English and/or stuff you've run into doing other MT work. You've probably already got things like benzodiazepine, methamphetamine, and even many of the psych drugs are used in general medicine or one of the other specialities like neurology. Add your own terms as you come across them. Most psych dictation is plain old everyday English.

The new terms will be:
A. Tests - especially if the account has psychologists, who use a lot of different tests.

B. Facilities in the area ranging from other psych and acute care hospitals to outpatient clinics, substance abuse centers, etc.

C. Certain legal terms that may be peculiar to the state regarding commitment, etc.

You won't find B or C in any list someone else might provide unless they happen to have worked an account in the same geographical area.

Diagnoses are done differently from general medicine, being broken down into 5 subgroups called "axes" which are:

Axis I: All psychological diagnostic categories except mental retardation and personality disorder

Axis II: Personality disorders and mental retardation

Axis III: General medical condition; acute medical conditions and physical disorders

Axis IV: Psychosocial and environmental factors contributing to the disorder

Axis V: Global Assessment of Functioning or Child Global Assessment of Functioning [cGAF]

You may have more than one diagnosis or entry under all but Axis V, which will have only one entry - the GAF score. When that happens you will usually set up like this:

AXIS I:
1. Major depression.
2. Posttraumatic stress disorder.

AXIS II: None.

AXIS III:
1. Asthma.
2. Migraine headaches.
3. Fibromyalgia.

AXIS IV:
1. Financial stress.
2. Dysfunctional relationship issues.
3. Lack of social support.

AXIS V: GAF = 50.

...or something like that - see your account specifics.

There are sites like this psych glossary that will be useful - find some others.

http://www.apa.org/research/action/glossary.aspx?tab=1

Here's a PDF lexicon of psych terms (112 pages!). If you open it in Adobe Reader instead of your browser, you can search for a term, or just scroll to that part of the alphabet, of course. Or, print it, put it in a 3-ring binder and keep it as a desktop reference might be better, albeit a bit of work.

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/39342/1/924154466X.pdf

Good luck! I don't think you'll have any problem jumping right in and being productive. You'll add terms to your existing shorthand list as you come across them, and in the long run I think that will serve you better. But it's not like psych is a foreign language from what you've already been doing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)