Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Coding / Medical Billing

Not quite correct ... it is better than that - sm

Posted: Sep 3rd, 2016 - 5:15 pm In Reply to: AHIMA accepts all AAPC CEUs - current CPC/CCS

AHIMA accepts all AAPC CEUs. AHIMA does not require "preapproved" CEUs. They leave it up to you to evaluate the suitability of events you attend. There are several free CEU opportunities each month from CMS, AHA, HIMSS, and other organizations like Optum. They accept some other things, as well.

Yes, you do need to complete the annual coding self-assessment worth 5 preapproved AHIMA CEUs for each AHIMA coding credential you have. The cost is reasonable and it is educational. That gives you 10 CEUs per credential toward your renewal every 2 years. (See below where I say that AAPC will accept these.)

AAPC is pickier in terms of CEUs. They require that the CEUs be preapproved by them. However, they will accept CEUs issued by AHIMA itself and its local organizations -- like your AHIMA coding self-assessments. They also accept CMS and its MAC office CEUs even though those do not give you a CEU certificate (you use the email you get after registering instead). They also accept AMA physician CMEs and college courses.

If you make a list of what is required and allowed for both, you should see that it's pretty easy to get your CEUs for both even if you have multiple credentials.

I don't ever submit CEUs for the AAPC journal or local meetings to AHIMA. I think that's fine for AAPC, but I feel uncomfortable using those for AHIMA. There are enough higher-quality CEUs for free that I have never needed to use anything like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)