A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

stent size question - GA_MT

Posted: Mar 17, 2011

I know we are to drop the zero after a decimal when doing lab values, i.e. "hemoglobin was seven point zero" is just written as "hemoglobin was 7", but do you drop the zero after sizes, i.e. "Taxus three point O by twelve mm drug-eluting stent" - is that written 3.0 x 12-mm or 3 x 12-mm?  I never can get this straight...any input would be helpful.

Thank you!!! :)

Per BOS3 - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
10.3.6 Decimals

Use numerals to express decimal amounts. Use the period as a decimal point or indicator. Always use the decimal form with metric units of measure, even when they are dictated as a fraction. Do not use the decimal form when non-metric units are used; use fractions instead.

EXAMPLE

D: The mass was two and a half centimeters in diameter.
T: The mass was 2.5 cm in diameter.

D: The scar measured 2.5 inches.
T: The scar measured 2-1/2 inches.

Exception: When the originator uses a fraction that cannot be exactly translated into decimals, transcribe as dictated. Likewise, use the decimal form with nonmetric forms of measure when a precise measurement is intended and the fraction form would be both cumbersome and inexact. Two or more places may follow the decimal.

EXAMPLE

D: one third centimeter
T: 1/3 cm

The 0.1816-inch screw was inserted.

When whole numbers are dictated, do not add a decimal point and trailing zero, especially with drug dosage references, because of their potential to be misread (See 9.3.1—The Joint Commission Standards). It also indicates a degree of specificity that, if not dictated, was not intended by the originator.

EXAMPLE

2 mg
not 2.0 mg

However, when the decimal point and zero following a whole number are dictated to emphasize the preciseness of a measurement, e.g., of a pathology specimen or a laboratory value, transcribe them as dictated. Do not, however, insert the decimal point and zero if they are not dictated.

EXAMPLE

D: The specimen measured 4.8 x 2.0 x 3.4 mm.
T: The specimen measured 4.8 x 2.0 x 3.4 mm.
but:
D: The specimen measured 4.8 x 2 x 3.4 mm.
T: The specimen measured 4.8 x 2 x 3.4 mm.

For quantities less than 1, place a zero before the decimal point, except when the number could never equal 1 (e.g., in bullet calibers and in certain statistical expressions such as correlation coefficients and statistical probability).

EXAMPLE

0.75 mg
.22-caliber rifle

Do not exceed two places following the decimal except in special circumstances, e.g., specific gravity values, or when a precise measurement is intended.

EXAMPLE

0.0624 K-wire
specific gravity 1.030
Book of Style Search Results

Return to the Book Of Style

Text

11.1.4 Percentages Less Than Zero

When the amount is less than 1 percent, place a zero before the decimal.

EXAMPLE

0.5% not .5%

With whole numbers, avoid following the number by a decimal point and a zero, since such forms are easily misread. The decimal point and zero may be used if it is important to express exactness. Use it if dictated. Note:

10.3.6 Decimals

Use numerals to express decimal amounts. Use the period as a decimal point or indicator. Always use the decimal form with metric units of measure, even when they are dictated as a fraction. Do not use the decimal form when non-metric units are used; use fractions instead.

EXAMPLE

D: The mass was two and a half

©

Similar Messages:

BOS Question On Cardiac Stent Size
Feb 21, 2011

I've been dinged on QA for typing a cardiac stent as "2.0 x 18 mm"; the note says "This should be 2 x 18 mm--drop the .0 if it's an even-numbered stent". This feels wrong, especially since the manufacturer's list shows it as "2.0". I'm on a new job and they're claiming to follow BOS, but they only have a copy of the 2nd Ed. (and I don't have access to a 3rd Ed.). I've been able to refute everything else that she erroneously flagged. Can someone verify which of ...

Cardiac Stent S/l "Darmidal" Stent
Jul 27, 2012

"Patient had s/l Dermidal/Damidol stent placed in the right coronary artery." I checked my Tessier book and it has nothing beginning with a "D" sound for this stent. Any ideas? This is an ESL doc so it could be anything.  Maybe it's Damniitall?! ...

Text Size
Jan 02, 2010

I forgot the easy way to adjust text size.  Hope someone can help. Is it still possible to search for something here?  I can't find the "search" line.   ...

Font Size Help!!! (please)
Apr 29, 2010

This isn't directly related to MT, but is in a round-about way.  I've done something to cause my font size in certain areas to be smaller, and it's driving me crazy!  I don't know how to describe exactly where it is happening, but it is the font at the top of the tabs in IE, in the side menu (listing my mail folders) in my Outlook mail, the font in Word at the top of the page (toolbar and file, edit, view, etc.), in some message boxes, etc.& ...

Size DOES Matter, LOL!
Oct 03, 2010

"The patient's penis is cucumber sized," courtesy of ASR. Dictated as, "The patient's penis is circumcised."  Good one, ASR...at least I got a giggle out of THAT boo-boo! ...

Cursor Size In DQS 7.0
Jul 24, 2012

Anybody know how to change my cursor size while working in DQS 7.0?  It's just a thin little line and I used to have it like a highlighted box which was easier to see.  Thanks. ...

ET Tube Size
Jun 12, 2015

How do you transcribe ET tube size, is it "a size 75 ET tube, or a size 7.5 ET tube." ...

Screen Size Question
Apr 23, 2012

It just occurred to me the other day, I probably would be better off with an updated monitor.  The actual viewing portion of my screen is only about 9-1/2 high and 12-1/2 inches wide ... the old thick chunky-type monitor.  For those of you who are using larger flat screens, has it made much of a difference for you for proofing and overall viewing ease? ...

Changing Font Size
Jul 31, 2012

Now I know this seems like a stupid question, but I need help chaning font size to something not indicated in Word 2003 or Word 2007.    I have typed in the unusual font size but it does not work.   I need 13, 15, and 17 which I do not see as options.  Any help advice appreciated. ...

7.1 Cursor Size- Can We Change It?
Oct 10, 2012

Does anybody know how to change the size of the cursor from the skinny little line in 7.1? Thanks! ...

What Font & Size Are You Using In Fluency? My
Apr 25, 2013

font changed on it's own from yesterday to today, and I don't like the new one.  Does anyone have any favorites?  Not a burning question, but just curious what everyone's using.   ;) ...

UTERUS STAMP SIZE
Oct 22, 2013

I am very clearly hearing uterus "stamp size" but unable to document pls help ...

Looking For Small To Mid Size Company
Dec 01, 2014

So tired of the "Big" MTSO. Can anyone recommend a smaller company? I'm not really trained to do anything but MT and hate to give up working at home, but I'm probably considered poverty level now with what little I make. There must be some smaller companies around, but I can't find them. ...

Changing Text Size
Dec 05, 2014

I'm transcribing in Escription and want to change the font size in only the typing field. I changed that size from control panel, display, but that changed everying including the demographics. I need to see all the demographics. Just only want to enlarge what I type. I was increasinig the font size for each document but if I didn't change that back before uploading, it printed with the larger font and can't have that. I was told by my manager to bring up a blank word document ...

Correct Font Size In Docuscribe
Dec 16, 2010

I hit something and the font on my current report became miniscule (a 15 minute report and I've barely started).  How can I restore it to its normal size?Please help!   ...

Corail, Size 11, Coxivera Stem
Feb 28, 2011

Total hip replacement.  Under instrumentation he says: A femoral stem Corail, size 11, "coxivera" stem, press-fit The acetabular components is a Pinnacle cup, size 56 with "Altrex" Im at a loss. =( ...

Sounds Like Stage PT1, N0, M Tumor Size
May 14, 2012

doc states in patient with thyroid papillary cancer "stage PT1, N0, M tumor size 1.1...   Never heard it like this before....Does this sound right? ...

-3 Size 28 Cobol Chrome Head??
May 24, 2012

In a total hip arthroplasty, it souinds like he is dictating "a minus 3 size 28 cobol chrom head"...any ideas what this could be? ...

How To Change Font Size In Epic ???
Oct 05, 2012

Working in Enterprise. My account just switched to Epic and the font size is very tiny.  I've noticed that in the task bar right above where we enter the transcription that there are two buttons to click on, one for font and one for size.  When clicking on them, different selections are offered (i.e., font size #s 1 through approximately 8) but nothing happens when I click on a # to try to make a change.  Any ideas?  I looked at the Pre ...

How To Change Font Size In Epic???
Oct 05, 2012

Working in Enterprise. My account just switched to Epic and the font size is very tiny.  I've noticed that in the task bar right above where we enter the transcription that there are two buttons to click on, one for font and one for size.  When clicking on them, different selections are offered (i.e., font size #s 1 through approximately 8) but nothing happens when I click on a # to try to make a change.  Any ideas?  I looked at the Pre ...

Help Change Text Size When IE Is Open
Nov 30, 2012

My new kitten decided to do a little dance on my keyboard this morning and now the text size is smaller on IE.  Does anyone know how to change it?  I went to "Page" "Text size" and chose "Largest" but it did not change anything.  I closed and re-opened the browser, and see the same thing.  I need to be able to see my screen.  HELP!  lol! ...

Changing Text/font Size
Aug 18, 2014

Anyone know how to change the text/font size in Fluency? ...

What Mid-size To Large Companies Are Left That Are Not Part Of MQ?
Feb 06, 2012

I want to work as an employee and have benefits. I need health insurance and really want PTO.  I want a company big enough to be busy but I CANNOT AND WILL NOT  work for MQ again.  I thought that DSG was the answer for me and have enjoyed working there the last 2 years.  Yesterday was my last day as I refuse to be an MQ employee even for a day.  I have a small savings account, and my husband has a decent job, so I am not desperate but I will need to be working within the ...

Am I Allowed To Change Font Size In Ebeyondtxt?
Apr 29, 2013

nm ...

JP Stent
Oct 28, 2009

Is this a Jackson-Pratt?  I can find no reference for a Jackson-Pratt stent, only drains and catheters.  I can't find a JP stent either. ...

SMA Stent
Nov 22, 2009

In a patient with mesenteric ischemia and small bowel obstruction with a previous SMA stent, would the SMA stand for "superior mesenteric artery" stent or "shape memory alloy" stent? I can find both on the Internet. Thanks. ...

S/l Nye Rr Stent?
Aug 16, 2010

It is dictation about a cath from 2000 where the pt had 3 s/l nye rrr stents placed.  This predates my time in cardio and I have never heard of this stent.    Thanks for your help. ...

Anyone Else With This Problem? Ctl Shift - (number Pad) Increases Font Size?
Jun 27, 2013

There was a Windows 7 update prior to noticing this, so I don't know if it is from the update or a new DQS problem. Ctl Shift - (number pad) is doing 2 things at once, changing sound tone (what it is supposed to do) and changing font size. Tried rebooting, but no change. ...

CYSTO STENT?
Nov 10, 2009

Doc is saying "removal of cysto stent".  Is this 1 word, 2 words, hyphenated, slashed through, etc.  (Ex: cysto/stent, cysto-stent, cystostent, cysto stent.....)  Thanks everyone for helping me out. ...

Cardiac Stent
Jan 25, 2010

"PDA branch has a 90% s/l "pinch by stent" lesion, small caliber vessel? ...