A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

orthopedic or orthopaedic? - and why

Posted: Dec 01, 2009

I see it both ways and don't use it much myself but it always makes me wonder which is "proper" and why? 

Or is it just a matter of preference?

thank you.

I dont know much, but I would think orthopedic is standard.. - dawn

[ In Reply To ..]
and probably preference? It seems though, that orthopedic is used most frequently--from what I've come across.

Either is correct. - Ortho MT for many years

[ In Reply To ..]
I've always used orthopaedic, though, as that is how most offices spell their names.

ortho - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it is all preference.

Similar Messages:

Orthopaedic Help Please
Jan 31, 2010

dictating a back surgery follow up.  Dr. says "he did have bilateral leg pain prior to his s/l xtop or x-stop" thank you! ...

Orthopaedic
Jun 12, 2012

s/l geophenoscopy?   TEXT: Examination of his left knee shows no knee joint effusion.  Good patellar tracking.  No localized tenderness to palpation.  No ligamentous instability.  Full extension and 30 degrees of flexion.  Firm end point with Lachman test.  He does have an approximately 4 x 3 cm mass at the medial aspect of the popliteal fossa.  There is no tenderness to palpation.  No redness or warmth.  __________ is positive consistent with ...

Orthopaedic Word
Nov 03, 2010

Hello Ortho Experts! I'm typing for plastic surgeon who says:  "Pathology returns as s/l osteo-mi-cutis"? I've tried different spellings, no luck. Educate me, please. Thanks so much. ...

Orthopaedic Word Help
Mar 10, 2011

TEXT:  He has pain with cross-arm adduction as well as a __________ test. s/l Belvan retest? ...

2 Words-orthopaedic
Mar 29, 2012

I just started with an orthopaedic group. I am having a heck of a time finding this test. He says "Negative (open can). Negative drop-arm test." I know there is such a thing as Empty can test but it sounds nothing like "empty can". Sounds like "open can". Is there such a thing? Also, is it post injection, post-injection or postinjection. I see it written all 3 ways online from medical manuals, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

Orthopaedic Transcription
Sep 13, 2014

How difficult would orthopaedic transcription be for someone who has never done it, but has been an MT for over 25 years? ...

Sounds Like Systol Boot (orthopaedic)
Feb 07, 2012

She utilized the Cam boot and discontinued it as she felt significantly improved.  She is weightbearing as tolerated.  She has occasional pain.  She is utilizing a __________ boot.   thank you! ...

Orthopaedic Humerus Fracture Brace Name
Apr 17, 2012

Right proximal humerus fracture   On evaluation, she does have a ____ brace that is positioned well with her arm in neutral alignment. She is complaining of it cutting into her wrist. of course he changes his mind in the middle of the word and the best I can do is say that is sounds like "a strike stone".  Any ideas???  I don't think it is Stryker unless it is Stryker zone or something like that.... Thank you!! ...

Orthopaedic/pain Management Exam Word
Jun 30, 2011

He has positive s/l marie fwa reflexes and there are a few beats of clonus.... He says it so fast - the "marie" also sounds like "murray" and the "fwa" is like the foie in foie gras.   Any help?  Thanks! ...

Orthopedic
Jun 10, 2015

Can someone verify for me the correct way to transcribe this -first dorsal compartment or 1st dorsal compartment?   Also - please give where to verify/prove this if you can.   Thanks! ...

Orthopedic Testing
Nov 12, 2009

This surgeon dictates the same over and over in multiple reports, and I cannot understand what type of testing this is.  "s/l Manuar test reveals 5/5 strength in forward elevation, external rotation, internal rotation, and abduction." "s/l The remainder of Manuar assessment exam of left upper extremity reveals 5/5 strength throughout all major muscle groups." I thought about the possibility of manual test, but that just does not sound like what he is saying.  Thanks so much! ...

New Orthopedic Account
Jan 18, 2010

pain in her "disoriusembi ciftom"? on her arm? ...

Orthopedic Term Help Please
Mar 05, 2010

I know this is something small and silly but she says it twice and it sounds the same way to me.  It is an ER report on a pt with knee pain.    There is pain to palpation of the anterior portion of the patellar area radiating down into the s/l "empatellar" tendon area.  Or inpatellar, or enpatellar.  Any ideas? ...

ORTHOPEDIC REFERENCES
Mar 26, 2010

I am going to start doing orthopedics next week and I am just wondering does anyone have any reference websites they would share. Thanks in advance. ...

Orthopedic Work Help
Jun 11, 2010

Doctor said "She is status post (s/l atomization) of gamma nail".  Any clues?  TIA.     ...

Orthopedic Help Please, S/l Seduction
Aug 03, 2010

The limb was then carried through a range of motion and showed no impingement in the young patient, and s/l seduction with an acromioplasty was indicated with no evidence of a rotator cuff tear. I have listened to this about 30 times and can't figure out what he is saying. There is a slight ESL so that is making it more difficult. thanks for any help! ...

Orthopedic Transcription Ad
Aug 10, 2010

Did anyone answer this ad for Orthopedic Transcription on Job Seeker's Board? ...

Orthopedic Word Help Please (sm)
Jun 23, 2011

She is nontender at the AC joint and has a negative S/L Pacino's test.   TIA ...

Orthopedic MT Position
Sep 09, 2010

Yesterday on the job seeker's board, there was an ad looking for an orthopedic MT and it is no longer there.  Could this have been a scam?  Now I'm nervous because I sent my resume.  I believe the contact person's name was Jana Williamson and the email address was girlscoutjkw@sbcglobal .net.  Does anyone know anything about this position?  TIA ...

Orthopedic Term...(sm)
Sep 25, 2010

I can't figure this out...it's an orthopedic term referable to the hip area and it sounds like "praxa grava."  I know it's probably something I've heard, but the way she is saying it I can't even think of what it might be.  TIA. ...

Orthopedic X-ray Term
Oct 17, 2010

X-rays of the shouler, outlet view and s/l Pacey view, but could it be AC or AP view?  show excellent resection.   thanks. ...

Orthopedic Word
Dec 02, 2010

Anybody ever heard of s/l Chantz's lines, Shantz's  lines?? For an infant with hip dysplasia and wearing a Pavlik harness ...

Orthopedic Report
Dec 14, 2010

How do you type 3 out of 5 biceps strength in an orthopedic consultation?  Thank you. ...

Orthopedic... Please See Message
Jan 25, 2011

The doc is saying "She has a negative FABER(s)."  Should it be FABER or FABER's?  Also, is there such a thing as a "cool" effusion?  The doc is saying the patient has a "small s/l cool effusion in the right knee." Thanks so much. ...

Orthopedic Instrument Help
Feb 07, 2011

The sentence is "There was some chondral debris in the suprapatellar pouch that we carefully evacuated with a shutter".  Clearly sounds like shutter but I can't find this anywhere.  ...

Orthopedic Word Help
Jun 01, 2011

sounds like he says "oscal", but I can't find it anywhere.  All I come up with is a supplement. The x-rays do not show any acute fracture.  It appears to have an old rounded (s/l oscal) in the region of the radial collateral ligament and at the fifth metatarsal phalangeal joint. Thanks ...

Need Help With Orthopedic Word...please
Sep 23, 2011

I am a newbie working on the examination portion of an ortho report on a patient with shoulder pain....sentance reads, and sounds like " Resisted pelt and dental E press also causes pain." Have been searching for over an hour as to what they could be...thinking "pelt" is actually "belt"....just not sure. This is a TERRIBLE garbled recording :( Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you in advance! ...

Help With Orthopedic Term Please ... SM
Sep 28, 2011

He is dictating extremely fast ...   MRI report was available for review. He had a right L4-5 paracentral S/L sitoalorrhesis protrusion.   TIA ...

Orthopedic/x-ray Report
Dec 21, 2011

the doc is dictating at the end of an x-ray report. He just talked about a listhesis at L4-5 and now says the patient has a large right-sided thecolith??? Is this a real word, I cannot find it anywhere.   Thanks for any help ...

Orthopedic Imaging Help
Jan 11, 2012

Typing difficult dictator...speed talker.... Sentance reads: MRI shows the tibial eminence fracture but the ACL appears to be intact. There is no apparent increased signal for intracepts inter rupture.  "intracepts" is not making sense and I am not for certain that inter rupture is adquate...maybe I am just tired and my brain/ears are not functioning well...any help would be appreciated. ...